+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Errm, you're doing it wrong. in General; How do you correct something which a teacher has been doing incorrectly, especially if they have been passing it down ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Errm, you're doing it wrong.

How do you correct something which a teacher has been doing incorrectly, especially if they have been passing it down as the correct way to do things to pupils and student for years. The other day I went into a training room to find many people double-clicking web links to open them. These were all teachers too. It's not just a matter of mentioning it to the member of staff in question, but what of the damage being done to the many childeren who carry this kind of thing off with them?

Thank Post

Re: Errm, you're doing it wrong.

LOL

Our Systems Manager does this as well................he knows no difference. I just chuckle to myself.

He was asked the other day how to back up Outlook for a home user. He said it could not be done......................! They came to me really upset I was gobsmaked waht he had told them.

He also told another teacher the reason he could not send his word doc as an attachemnet was because it was too big. ...........It was 112kb....!

I just laughed at him...........this guy has been working in IT for over 12 years...............and in a school for over 30 yrs.........and no he was not a teacher.

I could bore you all night with the comedy things he does but then again..........!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

It happens, and always will, but one thing i notice often is as we know, many different ways to do a task correctly, and that can really confuse kids. I helped cover a lesson the other day, and it was a double, L1 was the IT teacher, L2 was me, in L1 they had been using a usb stick for sharing photos (note these kids are little kids, not teenagers), and they had been shown a long way of copying and pasting etc to and from the stick. I showed them the quick way - right click, send to ..... and that caused lots of confusion for them! It will be interesting next lesson, I know the member of stafff will know the other short way, but some will use the send to option and others won't. I think there should only be 1 way of doing things then there is no confusion! But also that would remove the fun, and varity in life

Thank Post

I see the double clicking of web links a lot as well. The other annoying thing is the over use of google. When they are told to go to the bbc site they load up google and type in bitesize or bbc .

Thank Post

LOL

our home page is set to BBC.

Thank Post

Ours is set to the school homepage There was outrage when we took the google link of the front page

Thank Post

They get the school web page if they try to get on a banned site, it just redirects them to the school homepage.

Only way we can get them to see it........................

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

While I was rebuilding the blocked and banned placeholder pages, I redirected them to the swedish chef version of Google. That raised a few eyebrows

Thank Post

Don't worry, we have nearly the whole of the office staff using the Word Open dialogue box instead of Explorer. Causes much confusion when they try and open an Excel sheet with it and it appears "all funny". No one knows where it started and we are trying desperately to wean them off it but it is an uphill struggle! The big problem is that if a less IT literate person joins they get taught this and so it continues!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know one school where they insist that pupils close an application by clicking 'File' and 'Exit'. Nice time waster.

Thank Post

My missus was taught here..and I remember her arguing the toss with an art teacher, seconded to teach IT..basically the teacher was trying to teach the wrong way of doing things..and when she argued, the teacher went and did the full disciplinary thing.

Talk about laugh into my coffee..Mind you, a lot of people still get things wrong..I just weigh up the pros and cons of correcting the staff member, and go from there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread