+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Temporary Contract in General; Hi all, I got my contract through at the start of this month, the thing i noticed that was odd ...

Thank Post

Temporary Contract

Hi all,

I got my contract through at the start of this month, the thing i noticed that was odd was that it said my contract of employment is only temporary untill the Augast 31st of year this and bascially this will be my last day of employment unless my boss decides he still wants to take me of perminantly. First thing i asked him about this was that he said its all down to the budgets and he said if they had the budget then he's still happy to take me on for longer, so i thought ok thats fair enough. From the beginning in the job interview i remember the Head and my boss saying that they would want me there for at least 2 years! After i spoke to my boss recenetly though i spoke to the head and he mentioned that at the time of when my temporary contract ends my local council have got the right to re-advertise my job role. Hang on... i thought if my school didnt have the budget to keep me on then how can the council re-advertise my job?? Another bad thing is that apparently i was supposed to get my contract of employment the first day i started work... but guess what i didnt get it untill the end of March this year! Nearly 6 months after i started work!!!!! I am awaiting my 6 month review at work which iv been told im having next week hopefully and they will tell me then if they have got enough money to keep me on longer that Augast or not. Absolultely great, now i could be without a job soon but the thing that plays on my mind the most is about the council able to re-advertise my job!!! What the heck is going on??? Should i go on to seek professional advice on this?

Thanks to anyone who helps!
    Last edited by Roach-IT; 26th April 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Thank Post
    I think you've been stitched up like a kipper.

Would be worth finding the original advertisement, and indeed the offer letter you received to put along with your contract.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Get this in writing.
    Write to your boss/head stating that you accepted the job on the basis of the negotiation in interview. In the letter make sure you make a complaint about not getting the contract for 6months - this is called a grievance and it is a formal process There will be a policy which will detail the process you need to follow. Your grievance *needs* to state that at the interview you were promised a 2yr contract.
    If you don't get re-employed in September you have may a good case for constructive dismissal (because they only gave you the contract after 6months and it wasn't what you agreed). Register your complaint with the tribunal by 31st Sept.

Join the GMB now.
    (unison are starting to suck IMO)

PEO
    Thank Post
    bloody hell mate.... you in a union?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First, no council in the country would manage to get a contract to you as quick as they have said. I received my original one 12 months late, and by then it had been updated twice... so it was wrong.

Next, on the temp contract thing - if they left you on a fixed term or temporary contract, it would indeed be one of the possibilities to re-advertise the job.

But as the others say, the term of the contract as outlined verbally is binding, and them changing it without your agreement is illegal.

Speak to a solicitor, or if you are in a union, speak to them.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys,

As for the job advert, funny enough a friend of mine persuaded me to email the school im working at now to ask about a Technicians job there in the beginning. Then my future boss at the time asked me to come and look at the school then for the interview etc. so really i never did see the job advert.

I'm in the process of looking for a union but im not sure which one to go for. My contract is dated and said to be printed and revised as of January of this year and i didnt receive it untill the end of March - 2 months after it was printed and also 3 months after i first started work (October 2007). When i join a union very soon when i send off my application to my chosen union i will speak to them immediately. In my job interview i was treated and told that they certainly wanted me to work there full time perminantely, whether or not they were aware that my contract would turn out to be temporary i don't have a clue. I'm hoping that all this will get sorted with me either staying there perminantly or if they let me go actually do something about it!

If by chance i have been stiched up somehow isnt this somehow unfair and can i act against it as well for them keeping important information about me to themselves?

Thanks again guys! :-)
    Last edited by Roach-IT; 26th April 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Could you not have asked when you didn't receive your contract on the day that you were told?

PEO
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    If by chance i have been stiched up somehow isnt this somehow unfair and can i act against it as well for them keeping important information about me to themselves?
    What important information is being withheld from you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Could you not have asked when you didn't receive your contract on the day that you were told?
    I did ask a few times, but from what i got told and from the beginning is that i would of received the contract around 2 months after i started. I started wondering after last year and then finally in March it turned up...

Thank Post
    What important information is being withheld from you?
    As far as i know i am probably wrong but as other people say there is always a possibility. But i am certain that nothing is being held against me at all and that my school has not got anything to do with it and that its all down to my local council.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach-IT View Post
    I did ask a few times, but from what i got told and from the beginning is that i would of received the contract around 2 months after i started. I started wondering after last year and then finally in March it turned up...
    Hang on. You said that you were told that you were meant to get your contract on the first day of work.

As far as i know i am probably wrong but as other people say there is always a possibility. But i am certain that nothing is being held against me at all and that my school has not got anything to do with it and that its all down to my local council.
    So what are you wanting to act against then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your school has the final say about all employment issues. That is why they have governors and a head teacher. The council can only make recommendations.

Thank Post
    Hang on. You said that you were told that you were meant to get your contract on the first day of work.
    What do you mean by the other question? Do you mean if i asked why i didnt get my contract on the first day of employment or was i supposed to get the contract when i first started? Sorry if i am confusing you lol

Thank Post
    What do you mean by the other question? Do you mean if i asked why i didnt get my contract on the first day of employment or was i supposed to get the contract when i first started? Sorry if i am confusing you lol
    You said in your first post that you were told that you would get your contract when you started work.
    Another bad thing is that apparently i was supposed to get my contract of employment the first day i started work
    You then went on to say that you would were told that you would get the contract 2 months after you started work.
    from the beginning is that i would of received the contract around 2 months after i started.
    Conflicting information.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast