+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The role of the technican in General; Ok, I'm starting to actually write some things up now and will be sending them to be published in a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

The role of the technican

Ok, I'm starting to actually write some things up now and will be sending them to be published in a few places.

And since I'm off for a few days now with family stuff I just wanted to leave you all pondering this question to help me get a few ideas about what everyone really thinks.

How do we see the role of technician (including NM) in a school?

Are we the person the buys the machine, takes it out the box, plugs it in and makes sure it runs with whatever is needed; or are we the person who makes sure that the person using the box knows how to use it and whatever is on it?

And what is the difference in the above? Would it really make that much difference in a school to have one and not the other?

discuss ... catch you all in a few days.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: The role of the technican

IMO

The network technicians role is the former: Buying the equipment, setting it up, making sure its working, loading the software, configuring it, maintaining it, sorting out technical problems etc.

My job does not include making sure that the person using the box knows how to use it and whatever is on it. Thats the job of the teachers and to a certain extent learning support. Sure, I'll help with small problems but teaching kids how to use the software? No.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts

I don't think it's the technicians job to buy the equipment etc... unless the technician is the only member of ict support and is expected to fulfill this role and if so I'd say it was more than ict technician anyway.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I do both roles fully.

I don't 'teach' officially - but I do near as damn it...

Certainly I think my role is to source equipment and software. I do this alongside my teaching colleagues, after all they're in the market and have a focus that is not mine primarily. [no disrespect to any teaching staff reading BTW].

My school certainly see me as part instructor and front line cannon fodder for any new stuff - s/w or h/w. It's in my job desc. to help out in classes, plus I run after school access sessions for kids alone. I also instruct teaching and admin staff in IT use. I enjoy this part of the job. That's me - i like that stuff, but I apreciate other techs wouldn't want to do that at all, and that's fine and good and shouldn't count againstthem.

I think there's too strong a 'teacher' focus altogether sometimes. I know a couple of local high schools where the techs were formally teachers. Nothing wrong with that per say. It all depends on the individual. But in my opinion, the only people who think that teachers can tech are other teachers. My colleauges locally love helping out with problems with applications, but then shy away from backend stuff.

I think I really agree with Norphy - on how things should ideally be. Software 'super users' don't neccessarily make top IT techs - it can be a different skill.

Thank Post

What? You've bought a brand new car with a mechanical problem and you want me to look at it rather than take it back to the showroom?
    Sorry? What's that? You don't know how to drive?
    That's how it feels sometimes.
    beeswax

Thank Post

That's actually a tough couple of questions Tony. But you knew that ;-)

NM: Well, that probably depends on the school. In my opinion, the network manager broadly defined oversees network development and management and with this things like sourcing, purchasing, technical input and things like that. Maybe that's a bit utopian. In reality, the NM is sometimes on his/her own and is the one required to do everything- including fixing and training. But that's another story and like I said, depends on the school.

Technician: Again, broadly speaking the technician will be the one who unpacks the stuff the network manager sourced and bought and set it all up, making sure it works. He/she will then help maintain the systems and equipment and be on hand for general support requests that don't need escalating to upper levels. Again, a utopian concept. Some technicians don't have the skills to do even this, and many of them work alone without a NM or even the status of NM themselves.

Training of staff etc: Well, again, broadly speaking that *might* be the job of the technicians or the NM (probably the latter), but I'm not sure it should be.

All in, I think there are clear roles for both NM and Technician but pragmatism suggests (within schools anyhow) that these can't always be kept to. So could you do without one or the other? Again, this is dependent on skills' levels. I mean, if your technician is competent but your NM isn't, then who will you pick to do the things that need to be done? And if you only have one member of the ICT team (I love that word "Team"...love saying.."Team, Team, Team, Team") they may have to fulfill both roles in a functional way without ever having a title that says "Network Manager".

Good questions though Tony. Please don't make me think on a Friday evening any more. It's too hard.

:-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts

Is it Judie or Julie ? also is it a pc or a mac ? btw I love saying Team, team, team work as a team ( or you're fired !! ) *cough cough* lol.

Something springs to mind --> oh thats right, I seem to recall these words of wisdom *supposdly*

If you dont know then you aren't worth telling.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Is it Judie or Julie ? also is it a pc or a mac ? btw I love saying Team, team, team work as a team ( or you're fired !! ) *cough cough* lol.

Something springs to mind --> oh thats right, I seem to recall these words of wisdom *supposdly*

If you dont know then you aren't worth telling.
    Then I'm not worth telling. I have no idea what all that was about...

Thank Post

Friday Night... Channel 4... 9.30

Andy

PS Good episode last night I thought

Thank Post

Ah.

Of course.

Duh!

I feel stupid now :-P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok ... some handy answers ... if people can quickly just list / explain who organises the IT training for staff in your schools that would also help.

Thank Post

Normally we run IT training for staff. We haven't done much whole staff traingin, though we would like to, just informal quick run throughs or if a department has asked us to. We do this because if we can get staff to help themselves or become more confident then it will help us and ease our load a bit.

Students we only help out with if a teaher asks us because it has passed their understanding (no comments from the back please ) or if a kid asks us directly outside of a lesson because they are having a specific problem.

Arranging training here is normally done by the SMT in charge of that (I think he is the HR type SMT), though we try and be proactive and suggest things if we know somehting needs special coverage.

I know of one school where the NM runs monthly after school training for staff to drop in on for either a set task or just for help on things. I think he mainly runs it for SIMS and has said that it pushed along uptake and usage no end. This is a special case though as they are doing the whole twighlight inset scheme, so if a teacher attends so many of these they get an inset day off!.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread