+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, XP with NO SPs! in General; I still have a laptop running windows 2000 and it's the most reliable machine I own! It sits in my ...

Thank Post
    I still have a laptop running windows 2000 and it's the most reliable machine I own! It sits in my back room purely to play music from a shared network drive, and does it's job admirably! (It's an Acer travelmate 210, 400MHz with 64MB ram.)

I did load XP on it once, but it really didn't like it. Windows 2000 was still the most reliable OS microsoft ever produced in my opinion.

Thank Post
    We used to use an NT4 Workstation SP6a box as a CD server (P166 32MB RAM bless) and it used to run for months without issue i think that was probably more stable than 2K Pro. 2K wasn't the best MS OS untill at least SP2 and possibly still doesn't match NT4 Workstation for reliability. (i'm talking client OS here not server)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    We used to use an NT4 Workstation SP6a box as a CD server (P166 32MB RAM bless) and it used to run for months without issue i think that was probably more stable than 2K Pro. 2K wasn't the best MS OS untill at least SP2 and possibly still doesn't match NT4 Workstation for reliability. (i'm talking client OS here not server)
    I don't go back quite far enough to remember NT4 as a workstation OS, The first school I worked at however did have an NT4 server as it's main domain controller, until I changed it for a slightly better server 2003 box. That server never fell over once in the time I was there, and it was still in use as an exchange server right up until I left (that was just 2 years ago) I know it's now retired however as the person who took over from me got rid of it, well it was on borrowed time really. RIP.

Thank Post
    NT4 Workstation was great (well after a couple of SP's of course :-)) it was a pretty basic bussiness OS, before they started to add all sorts of unnecessary rubbish by default like 2K/XP. I remember really liking it (it was a pig when adding hardware mind no PnP) but maybe i'm wearing rose tinted glasses it was a while ago.

Thank Post
    I remember jumping from the RC with the Windows Classic interface to the RC with the new Luna interface and I just sat there for a few hours and thought 'Wow'!

Thank Post
    Do you remember the Windows 2000 beta that had the XP start menu though :-)

I can't find a shot of the start menu but below you can see a shot of the Windows 2000 Welcome Screen that never appeared in the RTM version as it was intended for the home version that (funny this) was late and became XP Home instead.

http://neosmart.net/gallery/v/os/Neptune/
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 8th May 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Do you remember the Windows 2000 beta that had the XP start menu though :-)

I can't find a shot of the start menu but below you can see a shot of the Windows 2000 Welcome Screen that never appeared in the RTM version as it was intended for the home version that (funny this) was late and became XP Home instead.

Windows Neptune
    this looks quite cool...

i have just sorted out a friends PC,

AMD K6-2 333Mhz, 392mb RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD (Upgraded from 6.4GB), ATI RAGE PRO, C-Media Audio... Installed XP and RAN very nicely... installed office still working fine... AVG Antivirus... duck in the water... tried running windows update... ran the update install... took 1 hr afterwards to tell me it needed 99 updates... after all that it worked fine APART from flash or java...

friend is a facebook/youtube junkie...

end result - told em to buy new PC...

Going to set PC up as a black box in loft for file storage...

Thank Post
    I have a Dell Laptop which only has 128mb ram with XP Pro and no sp's its works amazingly quick!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information