+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Advise please about a dispute in General; If you are looking for a very simple helpdesk have a look at "somehelp" it is a very simple, free ...
    Thank Post
    If you are looking for a very simple helpdesk have a look at "somehelp" it is a very simple, free database that runs in access.

It only records call information, but it is very useful if you are looking for the next stage of a ticket system, instead of a book.

btw Dan sounds like a pri*k. If i were you i would tell him that you cannot possibly do your job if he doesn't realise what it entails!

Thank Post
    Whatever you decide to do, I'd strongly recommend trying very hard to step back from the problem and look at it as dispassionately as possible. Chances are your attitude of trying to do the right thing by prioritising the things that really matter are making things harder for you.

Your best bet is going to be dropping this attitude and adopting a "by the book" approach. First come, first server, everything in writing (ticket system)... and if Dan wants X, you tell him to join the queue too.

As to the schoolcare thing you write a reply to the email you received, making sure the original is included, CC'ing the head explaining that the last visit was not as scheduled and you would appreciate Dan contacting them to request an explanation and a refund/credit for the unscheduled visit. That puts Dan back in the hotseat and indicates you want oversight from his boss. If he has a problem with it you explain calmly that if his email puts him in trouble then he should have considered better how to write it in the first place. It was a professional communication after all, right? :P

Can feel my hackles rising though... so take with a pinch of salt but basically don't allow yourself to be bullied by this idiot.. he sounds like a classic buck passer... I suggest you pass some of it back. Good luck.

Thank Post
    Is up to you to prioritise your workload? If so, how are you doing it? Is there any paper evidence of how this is done. If you have nothing to work from, but are being told you that you need to ensure all work is completed, you need to ask for a priority list. It probably comes down to people not knowing what you do all day. But you need to put a stop to this now.

Ensure any work that you take on is only done on an official request form. If full details are not given, then pass them back requesting what is missing. Even if you cant get this done on a network level, get it done on paper.

You cannot be be expected to do everything you are given straight away, you just dont have enough time. And you certainly cant be blamed for problems that are caused by other people.

I would suggest to document everything you do(remember email can be used) so you can use it to protect yourself should anyone blame you for doing/not doing tasks.

Thank Post
    Definately get everything you do documented.

As Button_Ripple said, here we use SomeHelp which is a nice little Access database (free too! )

I also keep a Word document of "Work done" over a period of time
    (6 months or so) as I feel that in this job, looking on a day-by-day basis of work done can be misleading;
    quite often we get very S-L-O-W days where very little actual "work" needs doing and we spend time doing "research" into other aspects of ICT,
    whereas other days can be a constant rush and you feel like you've done 2 days work at the end of one!

Better to showcase your work "this week / fortnight" than "today" or "yesterday" I feel.

and yes, Dan sounds like a real ar$e - sad thing is, there'll always be someone like that wherever you work (at least in my experience!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My response to the piling up problems would be to write a letter outlining all the issues, their causes and the solutions to them. It seems to me that the main problem here is that they are expecting more work from you than hours that you are employed for.

Thank Post
    Cheers for your help guys, at the end of the day I need to look at it like this. Every place you go there will be idiots, I need to get used to it. I will be graduating in the next month, so its not my future career as such at an Infant School.

I will have two years of I.T. Experiance

1) In the commercial environment
    2) One in two schools

and a degree so I will be fine

Wont let it get to me as its not important at the end of the day. !!

Thank Post

my take

if the peaceful approach doesn't work try :-

1- take a few weeks off sick from this school
    2- tell them when you return you want a list in priority, of work to do
    3- tell them you were off because of bowel problems.
    4 - if this doesnt work, take to wering a kilt, and have a dump in the ICT co-ordinators work area, blame above condition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    if the peaceful approach doesn't work try :-

1- take a few weeks off sick from this school
    2- tell them when you return you want a list in priority, of work to do
    3- tell them you were off because of bowel problems.
    4 - if this doesnt work, take to wering a kilt, and have a dump in the ICT co-ordinators work area, blame above condition.

My local India Takeaway do a Sprout Madras, it might be usefull.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12