+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is Microsoft beginning to 'lose it'. in General; Are they? IE 7 is still in it's beta, but most of it's 'features' can already be found elsewhere, Vista ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Microsoft beginning to 'lose it'.

Are they? IE 7 is still in it's beta, but most of it's 'features' can already be found elsewhere, Vista so far has completely failed to do anything which others have not been doing for quite some time now. Have they got too big? Too slow? No longer able to set the future (as they once did), only follow the lead of others? It's strange, but almost all of the new and fun things which I now do on my PC are from everyone else but Microsoft. What can they do to claw back the high ground I wonder?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Microsoft beginning to 'lose it'.

They can afford to screw up. With the intertia in the industry, the vendor lockin and the huge pile of cash in the bank Microsoft arn't going away any time soon.

I think Vista is in danger of becoming a disaster for Microsoft. I ask myself "Why do I want Vista?" and I can't honestly think of a good reason. At work everythings happy with XP clients and 2k3 servers (any new machines with Vista will probably get downgraded to XP for the forseeable future). At home I can quite happily use Linux for everything bar gaming.

Some of the wizzy features in Vista look nice but all the really good stuff has been ported back to XP (Aero, WinFS, etc).

Tell me why Microsoft. Why do I need Vista?

Thank Post

I agree with above. As I've said before, I'm a 'Microsoft man', I don't know much about linux, but I do use a lot of Windows ports of Open Source software.

It seems to me that all the new ideas for features in IE7 and Vista have been acquired from the Open Source community.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why do you want Vista? WHY!? So you can make use of the in-built trusted computing/DRM which allows you less freedom over the combination of 1s and 0s stored in the memory of your computer. Obviously

Thank Post

I'll tell you why I want Vista..... Halo2! Sad I know, but halo is brilliant

MS never really did lead the field, come on.... Bill predicted that no one would use the internet, they aren't really leaders on ideas!

Thank Post

I agree with Geoff, the only thing Windows is any good for these days is gaming. MS have tried to encourage people to upgrade by promising to release Halo 2 'exclusively' for Vista. Yippee MS is dead! Much as i hate to say it i might as well buy a console. Now which one to get? Those XBox thingies look quite nice.... DOH!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They can sod off with that lame Halo2 trick. Gamers will resent them for that.

To be fair on the whole MSN vs The Internet situation. MS did demonstrate a remarkable amount of agility and do a rapid U turn to get on the Internet bandwagon. Eventually even driving it.

I just wonder if they are capable of such actions these days.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    They can sod off with that lame Halo2 trick. Gamers will resent them for that.

To be fair on the whole MSN vs The Internet situation. MS did demonstrate a remarkable amount of agility and do a rapid U turn to get on the Internet bandwagon. Eventually even driving it.

I just wonder if they are capable of such actions these days.
    remeber it was ibm who said

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

we all make bad calls at some point...

russ

Thank Post

I do not think its that microsoft have slowed down, but that computer development as a whole as.

In the past the next version has always offered so many reasons to upgrade.

DOS - Windows (The interface)
    Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 (Plug and play support)
    Windows 2000 - XP (NT based OS that can finally run most programs)

What "new" thing do you need to get Vista for? We still have PIII 666Mhz PC's in use in the school, they are 6 years old, but they still run Office 2003 and Windows XP fine, i cannot see any reason to "upgrade" them, they run Office no worse than a P4 PC, maybe just 1 or 2 seconds difference in loading Word.

What i'm getting at is the upgrade cycle has slowed down hardware wise , unless your a gamer. Its not like the 90's anymore, where a PC became out of date in months.

Also you have one line of Windows now, not two, so the gaps will seem longer.

Remember you had Windows NT 4 in 96, then Windows 98, then Windows 98 SE, then Windows 2000 then Windows ME then Windows XP. Makes them look like they do more with 2 different products of Windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Microsoft themselves are their worst enemy. Each release of Windows and Office gets harder, because MS needs to be very inventive and illustrate that it has improved Vista over XP. MS have done this primarily with Vista's GUI, however functionality wise I don't feel there is that much difference.

I read the other day that 'apparently' the majority of computers will not take advantage of Vista's Avalon technology, due to most computers sold today come with onboard graphics. It's only more expensive Home or Gamers PC's which come with real GPU's with bags of memory. So the odds are, even if you installed Vista on a machine today it would default to Windows Classic i.e Windows 2000 or XP in Classic Mode with updated icons and that's it.
    We use Office XP SP3 at school and it works just fine. Users are happy where various functions are and I think Office 2007 has changed the GUI too drastically. I know for a fact few users would take to it easily and as I've mentioned before, I think from a support point of view it could create more problems than good. Where's this, where's that? It'd be quicker to rollout Office XP/2003 again!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev

remeber it was ibm who said

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

we all make bad calls at some point...

russ
    Be fair to the guy, though. He was born in 1874. For someone of that time to make any prediction about computers is impressive. He was also making the comment in 1943, when the world was a very different kind of place.

The five customers he may have been thinking about could have been Britain, America, Russia, Japan and Germany. If either of the last three had got the computer at that time, the world would be a very different kind of place now.

Sorry, I'm digressing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked

Be fair to the guy, though. He was born in 1874. For someone of that time to make any prediction about computers is impressive. He was also making the comment in 1943, when the world was a very different kind of place.

The five customers he may have been thinking about could have been Britain, America, Russia, Japan and Germany. If either of the last three had got the computer at that time, the world would be a very different kind of place now.

Sorry, I'm digressing. wink

Errr, we did have (the UK) compuetrs in 1943; and the world did become a very different place because of them. One thing I would have changed though back then, if I was Winston Churchill, no, make that two things: I wouldn't have given the Americans one; and, two, I wouldn't have them all destroyed at the end of WWII. Politicians, shesh!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SmartArt

Errr, we did have (the UK) compuetrs in 1943; and the world did become a very different place because of them. One thing I would have changed though back then, if I was Winston Churchill, no, make that two things: I wouldn't have given the Americans one; and, two, I wouldn't have them all destroyed at the end of WWII. Politicians, shesh!
    More digression!
    The computer that was destroyed at the end of the war was called Colossus. There is a project to rebuild one from the known specs and what people can remember. See http://www.codesandciphers.org.uk/lorenz/rebuild.htm

As well as the Colossus rebuild there are to rebuild the Bombes and Heath Robinson machines that were also used at Bletchley Park to crack encrypted messages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Microsoft are going to have to change their business model in order to survive in the long term. At the moment they are relying entirely on their monopolies to keep going, but this will change over time. Other companies are nibbling away at their market share for various things - internet explorer, windows, windows server etc... All of these have lost some market share in recent years and it is only going to get worse.

The key thing they need to do is innovate. Rather than trying to fight with Google over search, fight with OS X and Linux over OS's etc... they need to come up with something *new*. We have been stuck in the 'on a screen' GUI paradigm for almost 2 decades now - the progression of interface design has slowed dramatically.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Necro alert

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast