+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Am i being underpaid??? in General; Right i am have decided that i am going to be the BOFH this term. Number one on my list ...
    Thank Post

Am i being underpaid???

Right i am have decided that i am going to be the BOFH this term. Number one on my list is getting me a pay rise ;-)

I started here about 3 years ago as junior ICT Technician part time on about 8k and working under network manager. Network manager left after a year of me being there and they had restructure where they made it 2 ICT techinicians managed by a member of SLT (Director of Resources), they increased me to full time term time and increased my pay to 12k which i am on now.

It started of with the Director of resources managing budget. I have now started to do that and i do everything that the old NM used to do (i found his job description on the network).

I have another tech who i work with but i am the one who does most of the server work, and all of the ordering etc.

The old NM was on just under 18k which i think is still low! What do you think i should be on.

8 Servers
    200 Curric Machines
    10 Admin Machine
    60 Laptops
    15 IWB
    3 Primary Schools 1/2 a day a week that we share between us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Without a doubt you're being underpaid. I wouldn't feel bad about it though. Working in education is a great place to learn your trade, develop your skills and work with other network managers with years of experience.

There comes a time though that your skills/experience do not reflect your salary and I think it happens to most IT Professionals working in education. The best advice I can offer is you can try to apply for a pay rise, or more longterm, look at applying for other jobs.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

DSapseid (23rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I manage roughly the same as that (more IWB's and no primary schools as yet) and I'm on 18.5k.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    I would say you should start on 24k.

18k is low for network manager, trouble is that figure of 18k is not uncommon in a lot of areas for NM's

7. Thanks to torledo from:

Thank Post
    Hell they are very, very low wages I am a senior Network admin North Yorks and I am on 21200 a year... But that may all change for the better or for the worst come the end of this week !!!

9. Thanks to Athlona from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I imagine you would be a senior technician when you get a raise.. and that pays 18k ish.... so that's probably what they will do.

And I thought I had it bad on 13k!!

11. Thanks to Joanne from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm unofficially the senior tech here. I have two Junior techs on around 12k-ish (I think). I'm on 17.5k ish and we have a Network Manager above me on around 22k ish. Sounds about right. dont know/not interested in anyones exact salary.

I'm not in charge of any budget, but the Network Manager is. I do all the server work, network design/maintenance/upgrades.

I recon you should be on atleast 18k, sound like your doing more of the Network Managers job, so should be worth more IMHO.

13. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    You definitely should be on more.

I manage a bit less than you, and my pay has just been increased to 20k, full time.

Previously it was much lower (14k), and I was quietly on the verge of leaving when we got a new Head who promptly raised my pay without me even asking!

There are some decent Heads out there.

15. Thanks to OverWorked from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Right i am have decided that i am going to be the BOFH this term. Number one on my list is getting me a pay rise ;-)

I started here about 3 years ago as junior ICT Technician part time on about 8k and working under network manager. Network manager left after a year of me being there and they had restructure where they made it 2 ICT techinicians managed by a member of SLT (Director of Resources), they increased me to full time term time and increased my pay to 12k which i am on now.

It started of with the Director of resources managing budget. I have now started to do that and i do everything that the old NM used to do (i found his job description on the network).

I have another tech who i work with but i am the one who does most of the server work, and all of the ordering etc.

The old NM was on just under 18k which i think is still low! What do you think i should be on.

8 Servers
    200 Curric Machines
    10 Admin Machine
    60 Laptops
    15 IWB

I do most of what you do plus more and im only on 17K as a systems/Network manager

17. Thanks to timbo343 from:

Thank Post
    I wouldn't be touching a server on that pay or anything above basic school/desktop support. I would ask for your job description and outline that you are doing way far and above that, and that you should be paid accordingly.

19. Thanks to jsnetman from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    You definitely should be on more.

I manage a bit less than you, and my pay has just been increased to 20k, full time.

Previously it was much lower (14k), and I was quietly on the verge of leaving when we got a new Head who promptly raised my pay without me even asking!

There are some decent Heads out there.
    Well apparently our SMT are talking about increasing my pay... bit late now that i'm looking for jobs!!

I didn't know that it was up to the head alone... do the governors not have a say too?

21. Thanks to Joanne from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post

8 Servers
    200 Curric Machines
    10 Admin Machine
    60 Laptops
    15 IWB

I think you probably are underpaid even as a 1st line techie. I would have thought for a network of that size 18900 to 22845 would seem about right (that's scale 5/6 on the old NJC scales). Best bet is to write down all you do and arrange to talk to your line manager.

23. Thanks to jcollings from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    I wouldn't be touching a server on that pay or anything above basic school/desktop support. I would ask for your job description and outline that you are doing way far and above that, and that you should be paid accordingly.
    doing that won't help your case for an increase in pay!

25. Thanks to Joanne from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Well apparently our SMT are talking about increasing my pay... bit late now that i'm looking for jobs!!

I didn't know that it was up to the head alone... do the governors not have a say too?
    Governors do have a say but if it's anything like here they pretty much go with the Heads recommendations.

27. Thanks to jcollings from:

Thank Post
    2 x servers, 55PCs (going to be near 100 soon)
    Website
    General jobs.
    Term Time only.
    27.5hrs a week
    over 12K.
    Its why I smile lots.

29. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast