+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Am i being underpaid??? in General; Thanks for all the responses it just clarifys exactly what i thought. Time to write an email to head me ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses it just clarifys exactly what i thought. Time to write an email to head me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    website
    infrastructure (installing and maintaining)
    Helpdesk, faq, intranet, etc
    Music equipment
    AV equipment
    Stage lighting and sound
    Photographs
    Powerpoints
    Anything "showy" that needs to be good; sorting pics for brochure etc
    Teaching an apprentice
    Occasional Staff training
    Anything which runs on electricity
    I do all that as well as my origanal post!! I am also liasing with suppliers to try and get the best price for a thin client solution to try and save the school money!

Thank Post
    interesting thread. do you guys do any teaching of ict when teacher off for any reason or support in leassons, and how much holiday do you get is it paid???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    interesting thread. do you guys do any teaching of ict when teacher off for any reason or support in leassons, and how much holiday do you get is it paid???
    Absolutely not on the teaching front. Although that when there is a substitute teacher in the lesson that knows nothing about ict and they need help then they come and get me.

I am term term + 2 weeks so i get about 10 weeks holiday a year!

Thank Post
    It is in my work description that I should provide in class support for ICT teachers, but this is very rarely asked for. On occassions when the ICT teachers are teaching something like dreamweaver/webdesign or basic programming they ask me to babysit them.

28 days holiday and yes it's paid for, I'm on a full time contract. Would love term time only but would'nt want the drop in pay.

Thank Post
    i support in all ict lessons and lead if teacher is way. as for holidays we all get 14 weeks off paid. its a private school by the way. reading this thread has seriously made me think about my responsibilites and actually what i do. i am titled as a ict technician but i do manage the whole network as its just me so tinkering on the server is a daily occurance.

Thank Post
    “interesting thread. do you guys do any teaching of ict when teacher off for any reason or support in leassons, and how much holiday do you get is it paid???“
    Unless there is a major project or problem I spend 80% of my time teaching lessons and as classroom support. I get the same holidays as teachers baring the odd problem when I have to come in but I get paid overtime for that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    It is in my work description that I should provide in class support for ICT teachers, but this is very rarely asked for. On occassions when the ICT teachers are teaching something like dreamweaver/webdesign or basic programming they ask me to babysit them.

28 days holiday and yes it's paid for, I'm on a full time contract. Would love term time only but would'nt want the drop in pay.
    so what do you do when its holiday time then are you alone in your school

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    “interesting thread. do you guys do any teaching of ict when teacher off for any reason or support in leassons, and how much holiday do you get is it paid???“
    Unless there is a major project or problem I spend 80% of my time teaching lessons and as classroom support. I get the same holidays as teachers baring the odd problem when I have to come in but I get paid overtime for that.
    80 % thats alot of teaching/support time. is that really a technician's role or a LSA/TA role??

Thank Post
    Do the important stuff like major hardware updates and testing new server technology like Windows 2008. But I must admit when the school is on holiday work is pretty slack most of the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    Work! I get more done during holidays than during term time! Installing/upgrading servers. Moving/upgrading/installing ICT suites. General maintenance and cleaning. There are a huge number of tasks that we have waiting for the hols. Then again we have something like 6/700 laptops and desktops across the school.

This half term (if all goes to plan), we have an an suite upgrade, replacing some aged laptops, moving staff home files to a new dedicated server and virtualising the server hosting student home files. And I believe one of the switches is going to be repatched/tide up.

I'm only in for two days so my two colleagues have quite a bit to keep them busy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I would say you should start on 24k.

18k is low for network manager, trouble is that figure of 18k is not uncommon in a lot of areas for NM's
    100% agree with torledo there, sounds like you're not getting paid nearly enough

Thank Post
    “80 % thats alot of teaching/support time. is that really a technician's role or a LSA/TA role??”
    It very much depends on the time of year. After new budgets its very much a technician's role, during quite parts of the year like now it’s more of a TA/teacher role. 70% of that 80% is all computer and IT work. The IT co-ord is away for the week so I have 4 IT lessons with robots and roomers to do today. Then 3 lessons of maintenance.

It’s partly because we are a small special school and everything for the most part runs smoothly. When there are new computers coming in or major upgrades I go back to being 100% IT tech. It works out well; I get a nice verity in the job and school trips without all the extra paper work of being a Teacher or TA.

Thank Post
    Yep 18k is deffinately too low for a NM.

My NM is on 24k and he mainly focuses on procurement, the staff under him do the implementation and testing etc.

I look after 7 primary schools, with:

200 - 250 curric machines
    70 - 80 laptops
    30 - 50 smartboards
    60~ projectors
    10 - 15 admin office machines

And im currently on 16.4k, i am told im being put up to 17.4 this month though.

On the teaching front, at some schools there is less to do than others, i will lend a hand teaching in those lessons, show kids where to click how to do something etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Yep 18k is deffinately too low for a NM.

My NM is on 24k and he mainly focuses on procurement, the staff under him do the implementation and testing etc.

I look after 7 primary schools, with:

200 - 250 curric machines
    70 - 80 laptops
    30 - 50 smartboards
    60~ projectors
    10 - 15 admin office machines

And im currently on 16.4k, i am told im being put up to 17.4 this month though.

On the teaching front, at some schools there is less to do than others, i will lend a hand teaching in those lessons, show kids where to click how to do something etc
    how are your hours deligated then do you do like 2 hours here then go to another school and do 2 hours there or is it linked up to do remotely??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I didn't know that it was up to the head alone... do the governors not have a say too?
    Normally the HT will decide what he/she wants to pay for a given role, this is then taken to the Governors (usually to a finance or personnel sub-committee) as a recommendation which 9 times out of 10 the governors will agree to as long as the school has the money to fund it.

Unfortunately HT can & do use 'the governors' as an excuse to avoid/delay paying pay rises to staff, especially support staff. They will also say things like 'we only review salaries once a year, we have to wait for the new budget' etc etc. There is nothing in the 'rules' that dictates any of this. The HT can pay an increase as & when he/she chooses, subject to budget of course! In my own school (where I work as network manager) after a request for salary review I was given a 25% rise, paid in March, backdated to the previous September. A similar thing happened to our Bursar & Exams Officer.

Sometimes the governors are blissfully unaware of staff seeking salary increases as the HT fails to mention this to them.......

Speaking as an ex-Chair of Governors, I have known this to happen. As far as our governing body was concerned when I was in the Chair, we wanted to be assured the money was in the budget; the rate was appropriate for the job, and if increases were being proposed that the evidence was available to demonstrate why the increase was justified. I cannot recall ever having a recommendation for salary increase refused by our governors.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast