+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Am i being underpaid??? in General; I've been told by someone at DCC that technicians can't be paid over scale 5 which is around 18k, this ...
    Thank Post
    I've been told by someone at DCC that technicians can't be paid over scale 5 which is around 18k, this is why you need to get technician removed from your job title (if it's in) and have it sent to be evaluated by the local authority. I've know people salary jump by 10k when you list what you do and send it to be evaluated under a real framework.

2. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

DSapseid (23rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I've been told by someone at DCC that technicians can't be paid over scale 5 which is around 18k, this is why you need to get technician removed from your job title (if it's in) and have it sent to be evaluated by the local authority. I've know people salary jump by 10k when you list what you do and send it to be evaluated under a real framework.
    Is why my job title is technician, even though I asked for Network Admin as job title.

4. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

Thank Post
    Joanne - by continueing to do over and above your Jobs Desc, it allows the head to ignore the problem as it does not affect anything in the school. If the OP is anything like a lot of people who post on here, they will have been doing more than the Job Desc in the hope of gaining more money and a better contract. Only by stopping doing all the extra will you actually find out if the head wants someone you or just the cheapest person they can employ. If you are a valued member of the school, you contract will be evaluated. If not, you are forced to look elsewhere for another job, leaving the head to get the next cheap labour option.

As an answer to the OP question, I think you are underpaid, but then I'm in a similar situation so I may be biased :P What may be worth noting though, is if they are not prepared to give you more money, who is supposed to be doing all the server support? There will be tasks that require a higher level of respsonsibility than an entry level Tech so it needs to be identified who should be doing this work. It may help you in pushing for more money if you can show the responsibilities you have taken on.

6. Thanks to pallen from:

Thank Post
    300 odd workstations
    9 servers
    A few laptops
    website
    infrastructure (installing and maintaining)
    Helpdesk, faq, intranet, etc
    Several dozen WBs and alot more projectors
    Music equipment
    AV equipment
    Video conferencing
    Stage lighting and sound
    Photographs
    Powerpoints
    Anything "showy" that needs to be good; sorting pics for brochure etc
    Teaching an apprentice
    Occasional Staff training
    Anything which runs on electricity

<15k pa. And due to JE i wont ever earn more
    Last edited by j17sparky; 22nd April 2008 at 01:13 PM.

8. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    JE should not stop you from earning more - it is not a set pay scheme, it is a set of recommendations.

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    JE should not stop you from earning more - it is not a set pay scheme, it is a set of recommendations.
    Dont need to tell me that mate. The head seems to think its the perfect excuse to use on a lower mortal such as myself. He seriously thinks im daft

12. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    I know in my LEA that if you have no qualifications in IT then you can't progress past a certain salary, even if you can do the job better than someone who has.

However, I would list your current job specification and all the different areas of work that you deal in and compare it to any benchmark job descriptions for your LEA. Make sure you have a good breakdown of what is required for each position written down and then request to see your line manager or head and ask for your position and salary to be reviewed because of the jobs you are now required to do compared to your LEAs recognised job descriptions.

If you can prove why, and use examples of similar positions and pay in your area, then you should stand a good chance of getting some recognition

14. Thanks to tobyhacker from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Well I'm unofficially the senior tech here. I have two Junior techs on around 12k-ish (I think). I'm on 17.5k ish and we have a Network Manager above me on around 22k ish. Sounds about right. dont know/not interested in anyones exact salary.

I'm not in charge of any budget, but the Network Manager is. I do all the server work, network design/maintenance/upgrades.

I recon you should be on atleast 18k, sound like your doing more of the Network Managers job, so should be worth more IMHO.
    A Network Managers job is much more than looking after servers....

16. Thanks to Grommit from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    A Network Managers job is much more than looking after servers....
    Sorry am I missing something here? I never said, or implied (or didn't mean to) that the Network Managers job was looking after servers. What I said is that my job, as Senior Tech, is looking after the servers and I get paid 17.5k ish for it.

Our Network Manager handles the budget, department decision and liaises with third party suppliers amongst other jobs and gets paid more for it, around the 22k-ish. Indeed he is very busy at he moment trying to sort our a new MIS for the school.

18. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    I am the IT Manager at my school here with the rest of the convicts and I get $51,000 a year or around 24,000.

I once thought about going overseas to work but stuff that!

20. Thanks to actech from:

Thank Post
    I have some convict friends who lived over here for a while and they loved it, they said that it was great being able to get to anything in a couple of hours. Lived here in the Peak District and could be in London on the train in a couple of hours or pop to the Millenium Stadium for some rugby (they watched Wales v Auz twice).

However they thought it was pretty expensive (read: jaws dropped every time they ordered a beer :-)) but they thought it was a great experience for a couple of years.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats shockingly low pay for the job you are doing, I would restrict your activities to non server work and have a look at your job description and title as well.

23. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Yup poor pay, then again most dont fair much better.

One place I was applying to for a Network Manager post has been in touch and said there not replacing the person that left due to budgets. Not good for me as it was a good offer as well

25. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    I'm over in Canada and am doing Network Administration and Security as well as desktop support for high schools here in the school district. I started about a year ago and am currently being paid about $24,000 Canadian. I know the feeling of being underpaid forsure. I'm the only IT guy here in the building and they call the job description "Computer Lab Technician" but I don't think they have a clue what it means to do that half the time. They think I fix or replace a mouse or refill ink sometimes. But very rarely do any of them actually know how much work we do.

I'm not on salary. I'm doing the job of a Network Engineer [as I'm certified for], Network Administrator, Network Security Analyst [which I specialize in], Programmer, Help Desk, and yes, the computer lab technician. I'm paid $21 CAD an hour. At the same time, I have clients on the side, and I completely agree with Micheal on what he said here: "Working in education is a great place to learn your trade, develop your skills and work with other network managers with years of experience." It's absolutely true, however I have nobody above me. I design and make the decisions as well. Sure, I pass it by Administration of the school so they know how it affects them and how it affects the budget. But really they just want everything to work, and that's the one thing about IT. They have NO IDEA how much work we do to make everyone happy and streamline things. I came here after a previous tech had no security experience etc., had staff information accessible by students, etc., and it's not pretty. But did they like him? Absolutely, they loved him. Again, they have no idea.

Now here's the thing. I got this job last June, I was 19. I'm 20 now. Being 19 and graduated from high school and University I was already very happy to be making $24,000 a year and with clients about $32000 a year Canadian. That's more than I'd ever dreamed of where I'd be right now. I think the best part about working in Education is that it's not as strict as some places may be [I assume, I don't know your exact working conditions], it's often a very friendly environment, and best of all, where I'm at? I have 6 servers, multiple high end switches and 250 client machines here in this building alone that I have complete control over how I can shape and design the network. The experience of having all this stuff at the tips of my fingers is awsome, I can do whatever I want here and the decision making is mine. That's something you may not get down the road if you switch jobs and are under the supervision of someone higher than you. However, with the experience gained here, we can immediately have the chance to move into a higher position because we already have the leadership experience, the networking experience in ALL aspects, not just the help desk, and gains us quite the resume for the future.

The most important thing, am I happy? Absolutely. I get to hang out with my friends and then come here to work and have complete control over an entire schools network with a growing setup and provide customer service to very friendly people, and everything we learn here, appleis to everything else whether it's my home setup, a clients setup, or just adding it to the general knowledgebase in your head.

Dispite the school district just next to our area of the city is offering me nearly double, I want to finish what I started here at this school, and make this place truly own before I go anywhere. It's not work to me. It's a project.

27. Thanks to link470 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link470 View Post

They think I fix or replace a mouse or refill ink sometimes.
    Just count yourself lucky you haven't got BSF in canada, 'cos that's all you'd be doing if you decided to stay on under the managed services.

Dispite the school district just next to our area of the city is offering me nearly double, I want to finish what I started here at this school, and make this place truly own before I go anywhere. It's not work to me. It's a project.
    Next the situation i'm at here.......unfinished business. Although i must admit if someone offered to double my salary i'd take it, but then you don't have a housing crisis in canada do you ?

29. Thanks to torledo from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast