+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Snowboarding - Advice needed! in General; I've been learning to snowboard for the last 3 months now and was contemplating buying my own kit as so ...
    Thank Post

Snowboarding - Advice needed!

I've been learning to snowboard for the last 3 months now and was contemplating buying my own kit as so far I've just been renting at the dry ski slope I've been learning at. Couple of quick questions :-

1) Whereabouts is the best place to buy kit from. Should I buy it online (which will presumably be cheaper) or should I take the time to go to a shop which will give me a chance to try on the kit/etc? Hopefully now should be a good time as it's near the end of season!

2) To get started I'm going to need to buy a snowboard, bindings, boots and a helmet. A pair of more substantial gloves probably wouldn't go amiss either as I've shredded through my current pair after falling so much and holding onto the rope tow! What kind of board/etc would people recommend for a beginner? I've had a look there are loads of different brands at a variety of prices but TBH most of it looks pretty similar to me!

3) Are there any good snowboarding forums out there that would be worth checking out for additional info?

Any recommendations or suggestions for the questions above would be appreciated!

TIA

PEO
    Thank Post
    Wish my gf was here now she could answer your 2nd question. When i see her (sat) I will ask her to pm you mate with some advice. she's snow boarded in bulgaria and new zeland for a good year.

Thank Post
    Snowboard Club UK :: The Riders' Network has a good forum with loads of advice.

Thank Post
    Cheers for the info everyone :-)

Thank Post
    I ski rather than board but in general I'd say:-

Buy the clothing, but for now hire the board and bindings. You'll not do the board any favours on dry slopes, and they are a chore to carry on hol unless you drive. Once you are good and consistent on your boarding you will be in a better place to choose a design that suits your style.

Buying my own ski-boots was amongst the most rewarding purchases EVER. So much more comfortable than any hire pairs I'd ever experienced!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apart from the insurance page on the link posted previously.. ( Winter Travel Insurance for Snowboarding (08/09 Rates) :: Snowboard Club UK :: The Riders' Network ) can anyone recommend a travel insurance company. My regular amex insurance doesn't cover snow-sports..

Thank Post
    I don't snowboard or ski myself but a couple of the people I've known have, and they recommend being able to fall over properly as being a good way to save yourself some bumps/bruises/broken bones. It might be worth finding somewhere to practice breakfalling - your local Judo, Jitsu or Aikido dojo might be able to help.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I eneded up booking with the one I put in my post, but, looking at the listed activities.. I dont see snowboarding listed

https://www.tgic-online.com/ti/jsp/a....jsp?groupID=0

Ill need to give them a ring

Thank Post
    My recomendation would be to hire at the resort. Dont buy if your a beginner! As your ability improves then consider buying. At most resorts you can hire a different board every day and see which type suits best. If you really must buy then go for boots rather than board at this stage - again I'd purchase these at the resort, which gives you a good chance to try them out all day (rather than just an hour or so on a dry slope) and if there are any problems with fit that can be sorted as you go along.

You need to consider the type of snowboarding you want to do - carving, off-piste, freestyle etc as the boards are different. Would buy the best technical clothes (gloves, jacket, trousers) etc that you can afford. In my time as a BASI ski instructor I've seen plenty of people turn up with all the gear but no idea!

Thank Post
    +1 for the buy the boots and clothes and rent board for now.

I'm a skiier, so can't help with board recommendations. I would buy from a shop where the staff know what they are talking about though, and not blind over the web.

As for shredding gloves on rope tows, a piece of rubber inter tube (car or motorbike sized) with a thumb hole cut in will help save your gloves, and give better grip.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I always just hire a board as well once I get there. The cheap airlines charge so much for checking one in, its more expensive some times to take one.

Glasgow - stanstead, stanstead - europe, europe - stanstead, stanstead - glasgow

Thats 4 * £30 charges ryanair make for us taking a board abroad!

(£40 if not booked in advance)

Ryanair.com - FAQS : Table of Fees (English)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    My regular amex insurance doesn't cover snow-sports..
    How much to extend the cover? I'd also consider Carte Niege for "on the piste" cover. I believe it also covers "Off Piste" which few policies do.

That said, it is a long time since I looked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    My regular amex insurance doesn't cover snow-sports..
    How much to extend the cover? I'd also consider Carte Niege for "on the piste" cover. I believe it also covers "Off Piste" which few policies do.

That said, it is a long time since I looked.

EDIT (and an important one!)

See here for the low-down on what is and isn't covered!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well it turns out my amex did in fact not only cover snowsports, it also covered off piste. So after inadvertantly paying for easy jet insurance for the flights, i also bought extra 3rd party snow insurance, and had my amex cover too..

In the end didnt need anything, although I had all the "contents" of my bag planned out for a nice claim for a new iphone etc ;p

was a great trip

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast