+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pay in schools???? Help and advise needed in General; Afternoon all, After a recent job evaluation throughout the Staffordshire Moorlands I have been wondering what other schools are doing ...
    Thank Post

Pay in schools???? Help and advise needed

Afternoon all, After a recent job evaluation throughout the Staffordshire Moorlands I have been wondering what other schools are doing about their websites i.e. do you build your own or go elsewhere, if so how much do you usually pay. If you build your own what is your job title, and most importantly is it in your job description?
    I am employed as an IT Technician and get paid peanuts, my new job description says nothing about web design or even, like in some of the others, manage update and maintain. I have completely build the school website (flash page) with a CMS and continue to add features. Also am currently working on an area for the Primary Pyramid schools.
    There is only one job description which gets close to what i do and that is 'Web Manager' which talks about
    • Develop, manage and promote all of School’s/College’s internal and external websites.
    • Design and implement the overall architecture of these websites.
    • Create templates that staff will use to create content themselves; manage this content.
    • Using server-side and client-side scripting, develop, update and manage online applications for the use of teachers, students, parents and the community.

Which i do all of these and more. The only problem with the job descripton is (even though it doesnt say about line management) it talks about working within a web team (but there are no other jobs descriptions for other members of the team).

I am at a loss and would appreciate you all letting me know what you school does web site wise and job title ... wise etc

(also a lil critique on the site would be great)(flash page)

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thank Post
    I'm in staffordshire too, and they have put me as "ICT Co-Ordinator".

I do the website , were half way through moving to joomla though.

and i do everything else, we only have a support contract from Staffordshire Learning Technologys for the SIMS part, as we got rid of RM, so do not need the curriculum support contract, we got rid of the AV support, we do all filter cleans, lamp changes etc our selfs. No hardware support contract, got rid of that, do it all in house or buy extended warrantys. So the head felt that role fitted me best.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    we got rid of RM, so do not need the curriculum support contract, we got rid of the AV support, we do all filter cleans, lamp changes etc our selfs. No hardware support contract, got rid of that, do it all in house or buy extended warrantys. So the head felt that role fitted me best.
    I have just moved from a non RM school to an RM CC3 school.
    What did you move to and was the move traumatic?

We also have a support contract on most things and although it's an easy life I would still like to bin most of the support as the costs are ridiculous

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I have just moved from a non RM school to an RM CC3 school.
    What did you move to and was the move traumatic?

We also have a support contract on most things and although it's an easy life I would still like to bin most of the support as the costs are ridiculous
    we moved from Connect 2.4 (NT4, Win98SE) to a out of the box 2003 Server and XP Clients. almost everything you need is their already, except print quota's which only cost 400 quid. Not traumatic at all went very smooth, and were happy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know it's a bit late, but you really need to look at what your job description says before you go through job evaluation.

Thank Post
    My job title is "ICT Manager", which translates as "anything and everything that needs doing that is remotely to do with ICT is up to you"

Myself and the Techie here built the school's website between us (not live yet waiting on Head's approval )

TBH I'm happy to do anything they ask me to do (wel, almost anthing )
    wether it's in my actual JD or not - I'd rather do something new and learn about it than say "sorry, thats not part of my job..."

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Same as me here ^

Thank Post

ahhh well

Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    My job title is "ICT Manager", which translates as "anything and everything that needs doing that is remotely to do with ICT is up to you"

Myself and the Techie here built the school's website between us (not live yet waiting on Head's approval )

wether it's in my actual JD or not - I'd rather do something new and learn about it than say "sorry, thats not part of my job..."
    I was doing that i did everything which was asked and more, then when i went for JE meeting with the boss he could not see all the extra we do (or any other support staff in the school) i would be happy to continue doing as they say, i enjoy the extra stuff i do (its the stuff in my JD which is boring) but i get paid bugger all. the JD as noted above pays more than twice what i get and when i pointed this out (not even asking to put on that just saying thats what i do) asking for a rise (so i could afford to actually live) he (the head) as good as laughed me out the door.

i just feel s*it upon by them (had a call only monday asking me and the teckie to help the caretaker to move some benches - i did because he would have been on his own if not)

ahhh well

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Im the same but im quickly getting sick of it now. This week im chasing up contractors and looking after an apprentice. Now personally id call that a managers job but do i get managers pay? No. Do i even get an average pay for a technician? No. What i do get is one grade above the litter picker and cleaners whos responsibilities amount to carrying out the trash and putting the mop away after them!
    Personally id say looking after 350 workstations, 8 servers, dozens of printers, the website, etc etc etc is a little harder than looking after a mop and brush!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Find a new job then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    What i do get is one grade above the litter picker and cleaners whos responsibilities amount to carrying out the trash and putting the mop away after them!
    I agree that pay is shocking. However, this job-snobbery, I think, is a more than a little off. The reason why our pay is so bad is a similar attitude held by the managers of our schools.

Thank Post

planning on it

planing on getting a new job, the problem (catch 22 if you like) is i dont drive and am finding it harder and harder to afford lessons let alone insurance on the pay im on. really should have got this whole driving thing sorted years ago jus never had the time or money

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Im the same but im quickly getting sick of it now. This week im chasing up contractors and looking after an apprentice. Now personally id call that a managers job but do i get managers pay? No. Do i even get an average pay for a technician? No. What i do get is one grade above the litter picker and cleaners whos responsibilities amount to carrying out the trash and putting the mop away after them!
    Same boat as you! I get 8K a year, i work a 35 hour week (but i never finish at them times) looking after 4 servers, 30 teacher laptops, 45 pupil laptops, 1 suite and all the projectors, whiteboards and printers. I really should be paid a little bit more!! I work longer than the TA's and do more than them, but they still get more than what i do!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    8k for 35 hrs a week? Jesus dude, i'd be evaluating whether it's worth your while staying where you are. I perhaps wouldn't suggest holding them to ransom and threatening to leave, but i'd be looking for more than that for what you do.

Thank Post
    I am in a similar position as I have always been willing to help where I could, but recently my attitude is changing. We have yet to go through the full JE process, but the first meeting that I had with the head I discovered that he has decided that the things I had put down should not be in my remit. What really annoyed me though, is the fact that I have written to the head on numerous occasions indicating the extra work I had taken on and that I wanted an up to date Job description to reflect this. It would have been very easy for them to tell me that it should not be my job from the start. Instead I have found that all the work they were happy for me to carry on doing, is now being redirected somewhere else as they would now have to pay me more.

It seems to me that some schools are just not ready to give responsibility to people other than teachers. While this is the case it is going to be very difficult for IT technicians to get an increase in pay to match the responsibility they have. Or even a contract which is accurate for the work they do. So yes, I am looking for another job now.

As for the original post, web design/administration in itself is a full time job. It should be listed in your duties/tasks as part of your contract. If it is not listed and they wont pay you extra for it, you can stop doing it. If your not part of a union, join one now. Any queries you have regarding Job description can be checked with them. And always check with the unions before you stop doing anything to make sure you are within your rights.

By the way, the JE was supposed to evaluate what you currently do, so it may be that the school has assessed you and decided that you fall into your current grade. If you can find a closer match to a higher scaled job with the tasks that you do, you can appeal to be matched with the new job(Web Manager in your case) Again check with the union who should be able to help you with any JE and current work load queries.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast