+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Pay in schools???? Help and advise needed in General; Originally Posted by button_ripple Same boat as you! I get 8K a year, i work a 35 hour week (but ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    Same boat as you! I get 8K a year, i work a 35 hour week (but i never finish at them times) looking after 4 servers, 30 teacher laptops, 45 pupil laptops, 1 suite and all the projectors, whiteboards and printers. I really should be paid a little bit more!! I work longer than the TA's and do more than them, but they still get more than what i do!
    What does 'looking after' involve? If there is no second line support and 'the buck stops with you' when there is a problem then just over minimum wage seems rather low.

If it's day-to-day support, changing the backup tapes and toners, resetting passwords and resolving simple problems then it's a more reasonable.

Thank Post
    had a call only monday asking me and the teckie to help the caretaker to move some benches
    Yeah we've had that here a few times, although fair enough the CT asks us nicely to help him out, and I don't mind as the caretaker here is a good guy and we have a laugh. Plus I'd feel bad if he had to do it himself, I know I'd be pi$$ed off if it was me and someone else didn't bother to help me!

Of course, if I was actually *ordered* by someone in the SMT to do something like this, first thing I'd ask for is a Risk Assessment, what Health and Safety they have in place to ensure the moving of the equipment was safe, what would happen to my job if I were to hurt my back and be off for weeks, etc etc...........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    I agree that pay is shocking. However, this job-snobbery, I think, is a more than a little off. The reason why our pay is so bad is a similar attitude held by the managers of our schools.
    Nah - the reason the pay is so bad is because we keep doing a load of stuff that is not on our JD and not getting paid for it. Point me to the teacher who takes on loads of extra responsibilities without the commensurate rewards!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pallen View Post
    I am in a similar position as I have always been willing to help where I could, but recently my attitude is changing. We have yet to go through the full JE process, but the first meeting that I had with the head I discovered that he has decided that the things I had put down should not be in my remit. What really annoyed me though, is the fact that I have written to the head on numerous occasions indicating the extra work I had taken on and that I wanted an up to date Job description to reflect this. It would have been very easy for them to tell me that it should not be my job from the start. Instead I have found that all the work they were happy for me to carry on doing, is now being redirected somewhere else as they would now have to pay me more.

It seems to me that some schools are just not ready to give responsibility to people other than teachers. While this is the case it is going to be very difficult for IT technicians to get an increase in pay to match the responsibility they have. Or even a contract which is accurate for the work they do. So yes, I am looking for another job now.

As for the original post, web design/administration in itself is a full time job. It should be listed in your duties/tasks as part of your contract. If it is not listed and they wont pay you extra for it, you can stop doing it. If your not part of a union, join one now. Any queries you have regarding Job description can be checked with them. And always check with the unions before you stop doing anything to make sure you are within your rights.

By the way, the JE was supposed to evaluate what you currently do, so it may be that the school has assessed you and decided that you fall into your current grade. If you can find a closer match to a higher scaled job with the tasks that you do, you can appeal to be matched with the new job(Web Manager in your case) Again check with the union who should be able to help you with any JE and current work load queries.
    I dont want to dampen your hopes but if your JE turns out anything like ours then appeals, unions or anything else wont help you

Thank Post
    j17sparky - oh, you haven't dampened my hopes. I am fully aware that I am going to get royally S*****d. I just think it's about time schools recognised the tech support they are getting is way above what they are paying(in a lot of cases). Most people work in schools due to enjoying the job, and they do more than their contract states. However, there comes a point when it stops being that little bit extra, and starts becoming taking the p**s.

I'll admit that I was hoping JE would actually identify the job I am doing rather than the one I was originally employed to do and might actually get a pay rise. The only way that is going to happen is if I leave, which is a shame as I used to actually like it here, but the longer this JE goes on, the more I resent the place.

Thank Post
    You just have to treat these low paid jobs as stepping stones. You have your experience now, so go out and find a job where they are willing to pay for your knowledge, skills and experience. That is what i did although I moved from a company rather than a school. 4 years down the line I am a lot happier doing a job using the skills I had trained for in the first place and my wage has doubled.
    You just have to find the right place to work which can be the most difficult part but very satisfying once you are there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pallen View Post
    ...starts becoming taking the p**s.

I'll admit that I was hoping JE would actually identify the job I am doing rather than the one I was originally employed to do and might actually get a pay rise. The only way that is going to happen is if I leave, which is a shame as I used to actually like it here, but the longer this JE goes on, the more I resent the place.

That pretty much sums up how i feel. I have little motivation now; i had a server to rebuild this week but due to doing jobs which others should be doing ive put it on the back burner. Last year i would have started it and risked staying late one day to get it sorted, but now ive realised my efforts wont be appreciated so it can just wait till next holidays.

When i first heard of JE i was optomistic and thought finally ill get the wages i deserve. I even turned down a few better payed jobs thinking that would be the case. How nieve i was

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You just have to treat these low paid jobs as stepping stones... ...skills I had trained for in the first place
    Thats the way i had always thought of it, but i had also nievely thought i may be able to stay and "move up the ladder" in terms of wages. I never expected to be worse off after 3 years (due to lack of cost of living rises and high inflation) and be being forced out so soon.

Im training in the networking side of things, just about finished my CCNA. Started on my CCNP. Great "they" are always looking for people with my skills... Not round here they arnt. A job search of networking jobs within 50miles of my area brings up a whole 1 job. Damn my area!
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th April 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Thank Post
    @TS

I'm just going to go straight in and critique you're website...'cos i'm a git. j/k

The first thing a visitor who reaches a flash intro does is look for that skip intro button. It doesn't matter what fancy animations and bells and whistles you've got on the flash intro if it doesn't display a menu or navigation pretty darn quick it's going to get skipped. All those accreditations are painfully slow in loading. There's no way anyone who's ever visited the site has ever found out what the last 2 or three accreditadions are. Noones that patient or that interested tbh.

the site itself is more promising, although i did find it a litttle bit unsttructured and a bit busy. I think better to unclutter and alow the navigation bar to guide the visitors to the website sections. Also, you might want to investigate the formatting and display of the site on different browser at different resolutions.

Having said that i think it's a terrific effort and you're defitely heading in the right direction....and it's far better than anything i could have done.

HTH.

Thank Post

argree

totally argree about the flash page but its what the boss wanted, its virtually the same as the one on the old site exept i updated the look to the new site timeing is pretty similar, i h8 it tho.

i have tried to make it as clean as possible but keeping the informatio we(the boss) wanted on the page

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12