+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, NETWORK MANAGER = SYSTEMS ARCHITECT (surely shirley) in General; Reading the specs and having friends who are both software and hardware 'architects' - surely the role and remit of ...
    Thank Post

NETWORK MANAGER = SYSTEMS ARCHITECT (surely shirley)

Reading the specs and having friends who are both software and hardware 'architects' - surely the role and remit of a network manager is pretty similar?!?

If people agree, think they'd change my job title?!?

Thank Post
    To me, architect implies a time-limited initial design and implementation of a system, where manager implies on-going maintenance of same. A bit like having a house built: in ten years time, you'll phone a builder, not your architect.

But that's just my interpretation.

Thank Post
    A systems Architect is someone who is in charge of the design and development of a software system. I think generally their a lead software developer managing a programming team.

Where as a network manager is in charge of the maintenance and upkeep of a network. They do little if any development work (except scripting). They usually only manage very small teams. I think a network manager possible is equal to a Systems Administrator but not a systems Architect....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    A systems Architect is someone who is in charge of the design and development of a software system. I think generally their a lead software developer managing a programming team.
    This is pretty accurate although often they are not just lead software developers as they deal with the whole lot - hardware, finance, network, software etc etc. They certainly don't do any network maintenance or anything like that so have nothing in common with a network manager. So Systems Admin is probably more the mark although they often don't do any actual repairs

How do I know?
    I'm married to an Enterprise Architect

Thank Post
    And how would a systems manager fit into the mix, so many titles so few jobs :P

Thank Post
    In a previous life I worked as an IT architect for a global IT company; we were responsible for design & build, then the 'solution' was handed over to operations staff to run & maintain. Our brief covered hardware & software with training, procedures & documentation too.

I retired from that company in 2002 & started to work as a School Network Manager; I still design & build, but now I operate & maintain too (supported by two technicians).

At my school we also have a Systems Manager, she is responsible for the MIS data and applications, although I support the MIS infrastructure.

We are employed as 'equals' reporting to different members of the Leadership team.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread