Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Half Term in General; Infact there is a patch already. I'll probably update my server to 10.1 this week and get a new image ...
    Thank Post

Re: Half Term

Infact there is a patch already. I'll probably update my server to 10.1 this week and get a new image ready for deployment in the summer.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ent...0.1/files.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hmm.. maybe that's the patch we were given with the disc by LEA support - but I thought it was for RM compatability. It won't be the first time I've assumed incorrectly :P

Thank Post

We use McAfee 8 - though could do with ePolicy Orchestrator to push out the updates to the clients

Thank Post

I am in over half term and taking deleivery of 64 new computers and have to visit every classroom to make sure they have network, power and a suitable desk.

But i do love the peace and quite the phone has no rang yet which is so nice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Went in today (not due in till tomorrow) to check e-mail and spent 45 mins there, the UPS had died and I had no phone or e-mail

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Site manager has rented a Hilti (sp?) gun that can fire steel bolts into reinforced concrete (and steel girders) so I'm going to be installing eye bolts along the cable runs to suspend cable looms.
    I thought you had to have a licence to use that gun? I a mate of mine that wanted to use something that did the same job and he had to do a course and get a licence to use it as it uses small explosive charges to fire them in so its classed as a leathal weapon so needed training and a licence. Yet another bit of paper needed.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I thought you had to have a licence to use that gun?
    I was wondering the same myself TBH. It's rented from $reasonably_responsible_vendor and site manager has used it in his previous job, so he may indeed have the bit of paper needed - if so, I'll point and he can shoot . Will ask him.

Didn't get to play with it today - decided to risk updating controller firmware, bios and drivers on the dell servers. There's nothing quite like the queasy feeling in your stomach while you wait to see if you've bricked the raid controller on your main fileserver. (all went well, so I may spend tomorrow in bed in case Karma decides to rebalance itself).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Some electricians were in on Saturday (which we didn't know about) and as it happens, our servers were on a distribution board that they just happened to be working on. Workmen mustn't check these sort of things these days. So, this morning we walked into an eerily quiet server room. Luckily no damange to disks were done and all servers booted up OK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have a gentlepersons' agreement with our residents Sparks ... if they are changing anything with electrics they give us the nod first ...

If nothing else we can give them a rough idea of what is likely to go wrong and they can work out which boards to replace next (pleasures of working in a building with aging electrics ... sometimes bits go down for no reason!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Some electricians were in on Saturday (which we didn't know about) and as it happens, our servers were on a distribution board that they just happened to be working on. Workmen mustn't check these sort of things these days. So, this morning we walked into an eerily quiet server room. Luckily no damange to disks were done and all servers booted up OK.
    It should have been a pretty quiet week for me - about 16 admin machines to install, upgrade of ActivBoard software, some tweaking of login scripts etc but got into work on Tues to find there had been a power cut over the weekend (holiday monday I think) which knocked everything over.

UPS kicked in to keep the servers running but power cut killed the air con resulting in an ambient temp of 39 degrees in server room - needless to say servers had pink fit!

1 server (print / file server) refused to see the network - two reboots sorted that. Spent all morning restarting services and checking rest of network etc

After that I found out that half of the rooms I need access to are being re-floored (knew nothing about this before half term) so I can't get into them!

So now I've resigned myself to play with Virtual Server 2005 R2 for the rest of this morning until the flooring guys have buggered off!

ahhh half term.... don't you love it

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Workmen mustn't check these sort of things these days.
    Get the label printer out, and sick "The Payroll Server is fed from this board, Contact Webman on 1234-5678 prior to any work!" That should sort it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hehe, nice idea Andrew_C... might just work

I remember a while ago someone put up a "Danger 415v" sticker to keep the kids out of a cupboard or something, but had to be removed as there wasn't actually any electrical danger at all :|

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345