+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Laptop Repair Statistics in General; We've been tracking our repair logs and I thought it might be useful for us all if we had some ...
    Thank Post

Laptop Repair Statistics

We've been tracking our repair logs and I thought it might be useful for us all if we had some statistics on repairs. So I'll start this off.

For this year, starting in October, 2007 until now, April 8th, 2008 we've had 108 MacBooks repaired on a population of 1000 laptops.

That works out to an average of 18 laptops per month, or 10.8% of our laptop population.

High or low or average? How do things look in your schools?

Thank Post
    We have about 100 laptops - including 11 or so that are available for overnight rental by sixth form students. In the past year I have had to get 3 keyboards replaced + 1 support call due to the display disappearing (plug had a slight kink).

We are lucky here - the pupils respect the equipment & look after it really well. Obviously there are some exceptions but we closely supervise these ones.

Thank Post
    We have 15 laptops and have never had any damage/problems with the laptops, have one member of staff who has gone through 2 power leads in 2 years though.

Thank Post
    We get about 158 calls a month! Half of them are things like "won't turn on" or "when i switched the projector off yesterday the power light was flashing"

Oh well, we have about 3 genuine problems a month - and they are all todo with SIMS!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    have one member of staff who has gone through 2 power leads in 2 years though.
    3 leads in 1 week. Lost one, pet ate 1 and still has the other now *reaches out and touches wood*

Thank Post
    Wow that would take some beating, i thought 2 in a few years was bad lol... they managed to pull the lead out of the transformer on both occasions then superglued it back together lol.

Thank Post
    We only have a few laptops..but it's VERY unusual to have issues with them. One Ergo Ensis had a bad display, that's it...We've issued VAIOs, HPs, The Ensis and there are even a couple of Samsung A10's still in circulation.

We call it all in every 12 months or so for a checkover and reimage, but that's it.

Thank Post
    Almost every memeber of staff has a laptop here, I think we're around the 200 mark. And they're a pain
    Sixth Formers also have laptops (leased, then they have option to buy at end of year), These are also a pain :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we've done the lot on laptops. inverter replacements, full screen replacements, motherboard replacements, various repairs, building one working machine from 2 or 3 damaged machines, etc.
    thing is then staff take it for granted that you can always do that. they think its like a 2min job to replace the screen when theyve closed the lid with their phone on the keyboard!

Thank Post
    We have too many laptop repairs to mention.......

The students are forever pulling off keys from keyboards; staff manage to lose/break power adapters or shred power leads with annoying regularity.

We have started billing subject depts for replacement keyboards where we cannot repair them; it is then up to the subject dept to pursue the individual students to make them pay.

I hate laptops in school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got about 50 teachers here, probably a few less laptops. Just under 40 at a guess. The main problem we're having at the moment is with the old dells (D505,D510s) where the screen inverter is failing. As these machines are outside their three year warrenty we're having to source spare parts on ebay.

Thank Post
    We have 130 Laptops for student use in laptop trollys, and about 50 staff laptops, and the staff laptops are normally the most trouble. They just do not respect them.

We normally have 1 laptop from a laptop trolly a week in, where it either needs to be re-imaged, hard disk has failed, screen is acting strange or a keys been pulled off.

Staff laptops its normally lost power pack, broke power pack, football has it their screen and smashed it, or they have been heavy handed with the power port.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    3 leads in 1 week. Lost one, pet ate 1 and still has the other now *reaches out and touches wood*
    Or he realised they can go for £30 second hand on ebay

Thank Post
    From what I'm seeing, the problems you guys are dealing with are largely user related.

We've had a rash of part failures, hard drives to be exact, that has seemed higher than the norm. We're running Apple computers but the problems have been hard drives manufactured by other companies. (50% of our repairs have been these).

On a pure statistics level, our over all failure rate is consistent with numbers I've found for Apple, 13% failure in 1st year with us just hitting the 13.9% mark, but we've got 2 1/2 months left to go.

I'm in my 4th year now of working in a laptop school and I haven't had as many problems as I've had in the past 5 months at my new school. The question I'm concerned with is: Are the laptops I'm using robust enough to with stand daily use?

Given what I'm seeing from all of your postings and my personal experience I am leaning toward is a trepidatious , "No, they are not."

My school has a large pool of HP computers student regularly used before they were issued their MacBooks and we didn't have these problems. My previous experience with Dells was that we didn't have problems at this level.

Thanks everyone for your input.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread