+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is this the best install you have seen? in General; I think i can match that, we had an island installed with a power bar and instead of the power ...

Thank Post
    I think i can match that, we had an island installed with a power bar and instead of the power and data being below desk the decided to go up over....the power sockets go right to the ceiling!...thats about 8ft, so you can imagine what it looked like when all the sockets where plugged in.

PEO
    Thank Post
    got my electrician head on now.

Thats not funny, its blooming dangerous. the heat generated will eventually cause a serious fire. If health and saftey see that, god knows what would be said.

Thank Post
    I thought it was the resistance that caused the heat?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is pretty bad!

We have a projector in one of our ICT suites that has a 10ft drop from the ceiling to the projector (tall rooms). When I turned it off a while back, I noticed it wobbled back and forth. It turned out that whoever had installed it had used bolts straight through the plasterboard ceiling! We had it fixed by having supports added within the ceiling which the mount was than attached to.

We were so lucky it didn't fall on someone's head!! It would've killed them, easily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
    Can you beat this?
    One of our projector installs would look exactly like that if we didn't have a suspended ceiling to hide an insane amount of excess wire. How difficult is to estimate the length of preterminated cable you need ?.....but more to the point most of the school projector installers are of the crash bang wallop variety, they'd rather not mess around with the delicate art of soldering vga pins. That's why they go for the lindy 10m+ lengths.

It's a shame because a proper install requires the installer to have that ability....run the correct length snip off a either end and then solder on. Even if they had gone for a more realistic length they would still have had some excess and they're no way to hide any excess in that picture.

But soldering vga pins is a dark art. Requiring a pair of pliers with an elastic band on the end and preferably a magnifying glass for the oldies willing to give it a go. Plus alot of patience and a massive amount of practice.

on a side note has anyone tried using those screw terminal three pin ends for when you're shortening power cables of electrical appliances (IEC-320 or kettle leads as some people mistakenly say). They are blooming terrible absolutely the worst design i hve ever come across. It's just ridiculously easy for all three cores to come out at any time. The number of times i've blown a fuse after doing one and then trying to test it out. Whoever designed them shot be shot.....trouble is i can't find any other design.
    Last edited by torledo; 4th April 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    I think i can match that, we had an island installed with a power bar and instead of the power and data being below desk the decided to go up over....the power sockets go right to the ceiling!...thats about 8ft, so you can imagine what it looked like when all the sockets where plugged in.
    that's not a trip hazard that's a garroting hazard. blimey!!!

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    I thought it was the resistance that caused the heat?
    when cable is coiled, it inefect acts like a heating element, as the heat increases so does resistance. the cable over time will deteriate and can cause an electrical fire.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    when cable is coiled, it inefect acts like a heating element, as the heat increases so does resistance. the cable over time will deteriate and can cause an electrical fire.
    What if you do loose 'figure of eights' with the cables? Is that still a hazard?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    What if you do loose 'figure of eights' with the cables? Is that still a hazard?
    Any setup where the cable retraces its own path in the same direction multiple times will cause issues. This is because by coiling the wire then running a current through it it effectively turns into an inductor (electro-magnet).

There are several issues with this, the first is that it acts as a resister while it is setting up the magnetic field, when the the field is established it has effectively a capacitance (energy stored in the magnetic field) which will discharge very quickly and at a high voltage when the power is disconnected (the power cables don't get to bad as its AC but the constant opposition of the current as it changes polarity by the existing field causes the heat issue). This puts you gear at risk of power surges and exposes it to extra EMI.

If the figure eights were to constantly reverse direction ie one clockwise one counter clockwise some how it should be ok. The magnetic fields that cause the issue should cancel each other out.

Thank Post
    Is this a professional install or something you have knocked up as a short term fix? I would have refused to sign the job off if anybody left anything like that here.

Thank Post

more odd power sockets

Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    It wasn't me that arranged it, but we had an it suite moved from one end of the room to the other. The plug sockets are on the bottom of the desk, facing downwards. Of course, the plugs fall out, epecially the heavier transformer type.

Thank Post
    That's insane! Completely crazy.

Ours certainly don't compare - closest is one that was installed in a cage with the solid part of the cage in front and the open mesh at the back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't really compare with those but we did have a batch of whiteboards that were basically hung from a thin baton on the wall. Discovered when we went to check a connection on one and it fell off.
    They were all right above trunking so would have hit that and fallen forward. If the infants were having carpet time then there would have been some squashed kids

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Any setup where the cable retraces its own path in the same direction multiple times will cause issues. This is because by coiling the wire then running a current through it it effectively turns into an inductor (electro-magnet).
    Please can we get this straight? No, it doesn't as the neutral is carrying the same current but in reverse. ALL cables have a resistance, and to some extent heat up; the only reason that cables get too hot when coiled is that there is no way for the heat to escape.

Caveat - There are some instances where SINGLE CORE cables can act as inductors, but you won't find them loose in schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
    Sorry to say, but defiantly not

I can take you and show you the classroom it's in!
    What company inflicted this upon you? or can't you say

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast