+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
General Chat Thread, What do technicians do? in General; Originally Posted by srochford If you want to learn a few more words (big and small) then check out A ...
  1. #31
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    If you want to learn a few more words (big and small) then check out A Word a Day - you can sign up for the mailing list (very quiet; just one email per day!)

    The ability to extemporize is very useful in all sorts of situations - I don't always like doing it but, provided I'm going to talk about something I vaguely know, then I can do it :-)
    Doesn't extemporize basically mean 'to blag'

  2. #32
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    If you want to learn a few more words (big and small) then check out A Word a Day - you can sign up for the mailing list (very quiet; just one email per day!)

    The ability to extemporize is very useful in all sorts of situations - I don't always like doing it but, provided I'm going to talk about something I vaguely know, then I can do it :-)
    Thanks Steve, having a love of words I have signed up for the newsletter.

  3. #33

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,926
    Thank Post
    709
    Thanked 552 Times in 367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    While I agree with that in theory, in practice the whole reason WE do our job is exactly because of that fact; they haven't got a clue what it's all about. therefore, keeping out anything "technical" is actually going to mean not mentioning most of what is done, surely!
    You talk about why you do something not how you do something.

    Russ

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,156
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Doesn't extemporize basically mean 'to blag'
    I couldn't possibly comment :-)

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    537
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    'To perform without preparation'

    Hmmmm........
    But I thought that was the definition of teaching as many current practitioners understood it

  6. #36
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,365
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    You talk about why you do something not how you do something
    Again, I agree, and I'm not arguing here, but in my experience even the simplest things make heads spin; even something simple like "we have a server so you can stream applications to your laptop with needing to have the software installed" makes eyes glaze over, as more than anything else, people don't care WHY or HOW you do something, only that it works the way they want it to - if it doesn't, well, that's why YOU (as in us techie's) are there - to make it work again.

    This ain't limited to school staff either, I know for a fact that if our financial staff gave a presentation on how they use FMS to keep track of the schools' purchases and balances, I would be asleep with my eyes open in seconds. Its just the way it is, most people are only interested in the things that they do, not what others do.

    Or am I being cynical here?
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 13th July 2008 at 11:10 PM.

  7. #37

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,939
    Thank Post
    1,343
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595
    No, not cynical ... but there are those that can make *lots* of things sound interesting.

    If anyone had said that Isembard Kingdom Brunel would come in second as the Greatest Briton people would have laughed ... but Jezza is fantastic at things like that. I am sure that if he talked about sound financial planning using FMS we would still be enthralled.

    Try not to think about it as just talking about what you do rather than how you do it ... think of it more as talking about how the things you do can be useful to them.

    You have a streaming server? Fine ... in that case you are running your own mini iPlayer inside schools so that staff and students have all the video clips when they need it.

    You have a secure remote access facility? Fine ... you now have a website / software that makes their computer at home almost the same as the computers in school when it comes to working on files ... for all staff and students!

    It is marketing and hype ... and yes, that means a bit of blagging occasionally.

  8. #38

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,068
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 925 Times in 727 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    273
    As a Technician ... I'm known as the Bi**ch or the Grunt

  9. #39
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    No, not cynical ... but there are those that can make *lots* of things sound interesting.

    If anyone had said that Isembard Kingdom Brunel would come in second as the Greatest Briton people would have laughed ... but Jezza is fantastic at things like that. I am sure that if he talked about sound financial planning using FMS we would still be enthralled.

    Try not to think about it as just talking about what you do rather than how you do it ... think of it more as talking about how the things you do can be useful to them.

    You have a streaming server? Fine ... in that case you are running your own mini iPlayer inside schools so that staff and students have all the video clips when they need it.

    You have a secure remote access facility? Fine ... you now have a website / software that makes their computer at home almost the same as the computers in school when it comes to working on files ... for all staff and students!

    It is marketing and hype ... and yes, that means a bit of blagging occasionally.
    I know exactly what you mean, delivery and being able to communicate technially-related topics to non-technical people is a skill apart.

    So many times i've wanted to send links to non-technical staff videos of talks from the likes of vint cerf, bob kahn....even larry Ellison, because they incorporate humour and have a communicative style that most people can understand. Even when bob kahn talks about early packet radio, he talks about the wider issues that effect IT decision making just as much as how the thing works.

    Three recent videos of interviews/talks with IT legends i've viewed recently have been particularly good...Linus Torvalds being interviewed by Charlie Rose, Vint Cerf talking at a google conference in Zurich, and Bob Kahn at a IT Hall of fame (or words to that effect) conference. Bob Kahn in particular talked about the politics that surround IT decisions in the organisations he worked for....does any of this relate directly to discussing IT to schools SMT ? i think it does, you can't get more technical than Bob Kahn who helped give the world TCP/IP aswell as shape the internet as we know it today....but he was dealing with politicians, generals, and other 'stakeholders' who in all likelihood didn't understand the technical issues that he and his team faced. The fact he and Vint Cerf achieved what they did is a testimont to their abilities to manage, communicate and ability to see the wider picture.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,156
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    But I thought that was the definition of teaching as many current practitioners understood it
    I see the smiley but, actually, that is the mark of the best kind of teacher and can indicated that they are fully confident in their own subject.

    If you think back to your own school days, I suspect that the worst teachers you had were those who came in, read from their notes and left (teaching has been defined as the transfer of knowledge from the teacher's notes to the pupil's notes without it passing through the brain of either). The best teachers were those who could come in and respond to questions in an unplanned way or change the lesson to suit the environment.

    One simple example from my own career. When the internet was fairly new in the public eye, a year 7 class asked "how do you make a web page" and I just scrapped the planned lesson and got them making web pages (using notepad and learning HTML tags). I think that was a great success but it was completely extemporized :-)

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    537
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    One simple example from my own career. When the internet was fairly new in the public eye, a year 7 class asked "how do you make a web page" and I just scrapped the planned lesson and got them making web pages (using notepad and learning HTML tags). I think that was a great success but it was completely extemporized :-)
    Ah... so you are teacher ... Quick, someone call security

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. AV Technicians Job description
    By teckedd in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th July 2012, 08:51 PM
  2. ICT Technicians in the press
    By StewartKnight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st February 2007, 10:34 AM
  3. F.A.O. All ICT Managers / Technicians
    By Mitch in forum Windows
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 28th November 2006, 08:16 AM
  4. Sharing Technicians
    By GrumbleDook in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 9th May 2006, 01:51 PM
  5. ICT Technicians
    By steve in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th October 2005, 08:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •