+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What do technicians do? in General; Since we run into this sort of problem yearly with a review on "what do you do?" we've created a ...
    Thank Post
    Since we run into this sort of problem yearly with a review on "what do you do?" we've created a system where we jot down just exactly what we've just done after we've done every job, no matter how small. I know this won't help you now, but it sure will help us come the next review.

Thank Post
    Just tell them its more work (or responsibility if you like, a teacher has a classroom you have to worry about the whole school) than a teacher for less money.

ok ok i will try and be less cynical...
    Last edited by somabc; 15th May 2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: tone it down

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_nfi View Post
    They only seem interested in their own subject or anything to do with teaching. It seems a rather insular llife really.
    Its self fulfilling, if they were interested in anything else they wouldn't be a teacher ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    An IT technician typically has very little or no experience in the role, whether they be uni student on industrial placement or school/college leaver.
    Why do you say that? I thought most people have a degree and some experience at least

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it.

A) the tech role can be professional, ie graduate, experience, certifications etc, often coupled with a wide ranging role in the school. We probably agree this should be well paid perhaps with a place in the SMT.

or

B) it can be seen as a sort of apprenticeship where a NM trains up someone fresh out of school themselves. Where you can get minimum wage but the chance to move in a year or two.

Some Schools have techs in camp A and some in camp B. The problem is there is no consistency.

Possible Solutions
    Why don't LEAs adopt ITIL?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL

They could use it either across their whole area for hundreds of schools or in smaller groups using Small Scale Implementation
    http://www.itil.org/en/itilbuecher/i...scale_impl.php

BECTA has developed the Framework for ICT Technical Support (http://www.becta.org.uk/fits/) and is based on ITIL, but it is slimmed down for UK primary and secondary schools. Similarly, The Visible OPS Handbook: Implementing ITIL in 4 Practical and Auditable Steps claims to be based on ITIL but to focus specifically on the biggest "bang for the buck" elements of ITIL.(http://www.itpi.org/home/visibleops2.php)
    Last edited by somabc; 15th May 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you should avoid anything even remotely technical. They wont have the faintest idea what you're talking about. Even the concept of a server is a bit too much for some people.
    Focus on the stuff you do. show them (pie) charts lol.

repairing broken computers
    replacing items broken by kids
    Periodic infrastructure maintenance (like car mot)
    Assisting staff when they've forgotten what buttons to press. Emphasize how busy you know they are and u dont expect them to remember everything.
    Installing software

Procedures on reporting problems.

Anything that's under utilized.

also stuff you can do that perhaps people are unaware of. There's plenty of things teachers do with computers that they find annoying or tedious but it's the only way they know how. Barely anyone ever says "i do this "thing", is there a better way?" or "it'd be really handy if I could do...."

I'm sure I could make a lot of teacher's lives easier if they just told me what they wished they could do. It seems an unfortunate thing in (some?) schools that the people with the most relevant experience are least consulted when it comes to how to make things more efficient/streamlined etc.
    Last edited by browolf; 16th May 2008 at 12:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget to emphasize the fact that, unlike other subject/department staff, the IT team and its members support and have a responsibility for the whole school - all departments and all staff and all students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts

Red face I'm SO ashamed

Conversation with Year 7 son this morning at breakfast.

Son: "Our IT people are scary. Their room is about the size of the toilets and it's got no windows. They've got 3 monitors side by side."

Mum: "That's not unusual"

Son: "What do they do? There are 3 of them. Do they just play games?"

Mum: Groans then gives explanation that there's 1 of me working at full-stretch part-time in my 150 pupil private prep school and 3 of them in an 850 pupil boys-only secondary... so they're probably extremely busy all of the time! (I gave examples)

If the aforementioned EduGeeks recognise themselves, I can only apologise for my son!

Maybe the awareness programme needs to extend beyond teachers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Wouldn't it be easier to say what we don't do? If I was asked to list everything we've done as a department over an academic year I think it would take many bits of paper, we've done it all from painting, carpeting, drain clearing, parcel delivery, seat repairs, wiring, tyre changing, biscuit buying, coffee machine fixing, bit of IT in the middle, jump starting cars, taking staff to get hire vehicles, staging, scenery, audio engineering, air conditioning engineers, plumbing I know the list goes on but those are the general things that jump back to mind.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Let us know how it goes.
    It didn't go. Next week, the final week before the holidays, has been designated as Olympic Activities Week. There'll be no end of term meeting/talk to staff.
    I'm relieved in a way as my degree course and getting a VLE up and running is taking all my time. There are the bare bones of a talk in place, and I could extemporize for 5 minutes, but not 20. Perhaps next term...
    Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    It didn't go. Next week, the final week before the holidays, has been designated as Olympic Activities Week. There'll be no end of term meeting/talk to staff.
    I'm relieved in a way as my degree course and getting a VLE up and running is taking all my time. There are the bare bones of a talk in place, and I could extemporize for 5 minutes, but not 20. Perhaps next term...
    Once again, thanks for all the advice.
    It's not often i find a word that i've never read or heard anywhere ever....

extemporize. I'm defniitely going to have to slip that into a conversation next week. If only i knew what it meant

Thank Post
    Damn that's a big word before 9 on a saturday

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    'To perform without preparation'

Hmmmm........

13. Thanks to witch from:

beeswax (12th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I think you should avoid anything even remotely technical. They wont have the faintest idea what you're talking about. Even the concept of a server is a bit too much for some people.
    While I agree with that in theory, in practice the whole reason WE do our job is exactly because of that fact; they haven't got a clue what it's all about. therefore, keeping out anything "technical" is actually going to mean not mentioning most of what is done, surely!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Damn that's a big word before 9 on a saturday
    It's not the size of the word, it's how you use it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want to learn a few more words (big and small) then check out A Word a Day - you can sign up for the mailing list (very quiet; just one email per day!)

The ability to extemporize is very useful in all sorts of situations - I don't always like doing it but, provided I'm going to talk about something I vaguely know, then I can do it :-)

17. Thanks to srochford from:

leco (13th July 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast