Poll: Do teachers have a good starting wage?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, NUT Strike 24th April in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

NUT Strike 24th April

Unless you haven't hear there is to be teachers strike on the 24th April over pay, and in particular starting pay levels.
    BBC NEWS | Education | Teachers vote to hold pay strike
    I find some of the arguments being used by the NUT as not very valid. Their argument is below.

"Young teachers need to be treated fairly. Paying them at levels which are not competitive with those of other graduate professions and making them unable to take even their first step on the housing ladder will damage recruitment."
    And from The BBC News site they show this:

GRADUATE STARTING PAY
    Big employers in the Association of Graduate Recruiters survey for 2008: £24,000
    Teacher in England (outside London) and Wales, Sept. 2008: £20,627
    London Inner/Outer/Fringe teacher: £25,000/£24,000/£21,619
    Teacher in Scotland, April 2008: £20,427
    The thing is that the big companies offering those wages are probably large blue chip oragnisations, banks and engineering giants after the top 5% of skilled graduates. Not all graduates would expect to earn anything like that in their first few years and teachers pay rapidly increases to a good level after a few years anyway.
    Are the teachers right to demand more money?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The thing is that the big companies offering those wages are probably large blue chip oragnisations, banks and engineering giants after the top 5% of skilled graduates. Not all graduates would expect to earn anything like that in their first few years and teachers pay rapidly increases to a good level after a few years anyway.
    You've worked in the public sector for to long Dos_Box, 20 to 25 grand is not going to get you on the housing ladder these days. And after a year most graduates would expect to earn more than this. Their figures are right most graduates will earn between 3 & 5 grand more than a Teacher on appointment, and remember even though their salary increases after a year so does the graduates outside teaching.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Support staff were offered 2.2%, less than the 2.45% that teachers were offered.
    I bet that if teachers roles and responsibilities were evaluated using hte same criteria that support staff are evaluated, the teachers would end up starting on about 15k.

4. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

bossman (2nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    No.

1) The starting salary for a new teacher isn't that far off the survey you reference.
    2) Public Sector workers get paid less than Private Sector workers. Rightly or wrongly, it's how it's always been.
    3) They can quickly build up their pay by taking on additional responsibility for bursaries and TLRs.
    4) Although it's an old one - They get a heck of a lot of holiday. The NUT laugh and say "O, that the old false joke isn't it". Problem is, it's not. Yes, teachers do work outside of 8.30 to 3.30 - they do do marking and lesson planning outside of school time. However, not to the extent they portray. Many other professions take work home. I certainly do!
    5) They don't work a full day, with the exception of the odd after school meeting or parents evening, most are out the building by 4pm. Any other profession is the same as well.
    6) They claim they need the time off because of the "stress". Sorry, teaching is no more stressful than any other job of a comparable nature.
    7) Lets give fire fighters & nurses fair pay first - they're saving peoples lives.
    8) If you want to give public sector "fair pay", do it for everyone, that includes paying people like us a wage equal to our skills!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petectid View Post
    You've worked in the public sector for to long Dos_Box, 20 to 25 grand is not going to get you on the housing ladder these days. And after a year most graduates would expect to earn more than this. Their figures are right most graduates will earn between 3 & 5 grand more than a Teacher on appointment, and remember even though their salary increases after a year so does the graduates outside teaching.
    me and the boyfriend got on the housing ladder 2 years ago with combined annual wages being only 18k... so to say they can't get on the housing ladder is bull poo... if they didn't take out loans for this that and the other they could afford to save for a deposit.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Support staff were offered 2.2%, less than the 2.45% that teachers were offered.
    I bet that if teachers roles and responsibilities were evaluated using hte same criteria that support staff are evaluated, the teachers would end up starting on about 15k.
    I'm a graduate techie and starting on 15k, that average then? Looking at DB's list makes me feel underpaid...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petectid View Post
    Yes, but in what roles. I have worked in the public sector for quite some time. I find it highly rewarding. But would you list the jobs that you would think a graduate would need to do to start at 24k+?
    Would they by any chance by the highly skilled type of role? Engineering? IT? Do all graduates have these skills? I doubt it, and they would earn less than a teachers starting wage.
    My point is that house prices should not dictate wage levels. No more than baked beans do. They are a consumer item. A vital one, but an item non the less. Teachers in the north here can afford houses, even after a couple of years teaching. Market forces do dictate wage levels, but only when it comes to in demand skills.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    me and the boyfriend got on the housing ladder 2 years ago with combined annual wages being only 18k... so to say they can't get on the housing ladder is bull poo... if they didn't take out loans for this that and the other they could afford to save for a deposit.
    Two years is a long time in the housing market Joanne, the property I'm selling at the moment has made me more in each year I have lived there than I earn gross currently. You should look to see how much similar properties are selling for know and ask yourself could you still buy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Not anywhere south of Watford Gap I'm afraid
    Quick flick through local property pages shows cheapest property as being a studio flat (bedsit) at £95,000 in the very very worst area of town
    Most one bed flats are going for a minimum of £125,000 round here

Thank Post
    Market forces do dictate wage levels, but only when it comes to in demand skills.
    Thats correct Dos_Box but at the end of the day we need teachers in our schools. I do not now if your a graduate or not but I suspect your income is good, after all you left a school as an NM to work for the LA so the job must have been attractive. I suppose what I'm getting at here is that quite a few people who graduated in lets say Geography or History could easily learn and do a job like ours, after all it ain't rocket science (Devils advocate here)

Thank Post
    Market forces do dictate wage levels, but only when it comes to in demand skills.
    Erm... wouldn't teachers ... Sorry... Good teachers be one hell of an "in demand" skill?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'm a graduate techie and starting on 15k, that average then? Looking at DB's list makes me feel underpaid...
    Yes, you are slightly, but eventually your wages will rise, and if you went out into the private sector, or another more senior role in a different school after 2 years of experience you will be able to command quite a large wage. Part of the reason teachers have got such a good starting wage is that they have massive union clout.

14. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

CAM (3rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Yes, teachers do work outside of 8.30 to 3.30 - they do do marking and lesson planning outside of school time. However, not to the extent they portray. ...
    5) They don't work a full day, with the exception of the odd after school meeting or parents evening, most are out the building by 4pm.
    IME quality teachers do a full day and more - they spend time in the evenings finalising their plans for the next day and they spend time at weekends planning the week ahead and they spend time in the holidays planning the 1/2 term.

I think to do a good job as a teacher demands it. (as that's what I see good teachers doing anyway)

This is based on working in 15 schools (inc one secondary) in the last 5 years or so and seeing the variation (and being called out Sunday afternoons to get their PCs back working for planning )

regards

Simon

16. 3 Thanks to SimpleSi:

contink (2nd April 2008), GrumbleDook (2nd April 2008), jcollings (2nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW all a poll has been added by Dos_box so vote away people

Thank Post
    Simple really, if they think they're hard done by because they earn less then someone in the private sector, they should get out of teaching and get a private sector job.

19. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Oops_my_bad (14th April 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast