+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
General Chat Thread, Do eBay temporary ban people? in General; Hi I am trying to buy some electronic goods from somebody of eBay. They have now been banned for some ...
  1. #1

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,850
    Thank Post
    877
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    445

    Do eBay temporary ban people?

    Hi

    I am trying to buy some electronic goods from somebody of eBay. They have now been banned for some reason. The seller claims that eBay randomly ban people until they provide proof or ID. I have not paid up yet im not to sure what to do.

    Is this true?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,662
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    They do sometimes, but usually due to complaints and not just randomly.

    It has happened to me once, and I never paid, as the account was never restored.

  3. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,850
    Thank Post
    877
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    445
    Thanks for the feedback, anyone else had this experience?

  4. #4
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    avoid! if in doubt contact ebay and explain the situation. this sounds like a scammer imho.

  5. #5
    Joanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,504
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    17
    Rep Power
    74
    i got banned for some reason... think my account got hacked.

    couldn't be arsed providing them with my details... they wanted allsorts of stuff!!

    I just use the boyfriends account now :P

  6. #6
    jack0w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    123
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I had something similar happen recently, was with PayPal though, but the result was that my account was 'restricted' meaningnt I could only login and view things.

    Was extremely annoying since I couldn't withdraw the money I had been paid for the item I had sold on eBay either!

    As said above, I would be inclined to contact eBay before you pay, better to be safe than sorry!
    Last edited by jack0w; 2nd April 2008 at 08:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Unvalidated User PatBoland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    37
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I sold some mobile phones over the years and those that were not Sim-Locked attracted attention from Nigeria and beyond. Instructions to dispatch before payment, yeh like I was born yesterday!!!

    Reported to Ebay and they sorted the rest. Any doubt don't pay up!!

    Ebay forced a password change on my account for security reasons.

  8. #8
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,485
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    I've had the PayPal restriction which Jack0w describes, but that only lasted a day or so. ebay do ban accounts though, if they think they're up to something funny. Since you say you haven't yet paid, then I'd count yourself lucky - if the account is reactivated then you probably do have to pay up, but I suspect it won't.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    235
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    I've lost count of the amount of ebay accounts that I've had banned/suspended.
    They will suspend your account if they think you are involved in shill bidding.
    If you list a item that is that is a high fraud risk, phones+rare collectables they can suspend your account and ask for further proof of identity.

    The best way to use ebay is to register 5 new accounts to your credit card and then ask your bank for a new card, setup 5 more accounts etc etc.

    This will enable you to build up fedback on several accounts and give your selling bussiness more insurance should something go wrong.

    Ebay accounts should be treated as disposable items, use them and abuse them..

  10. #10
    bizzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    654
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 204 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    The seller claims that eBay randomly ban people until they provide proof or ID.
    The seller is trying to scam you, plain and simple.

  11. #11
    Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    537
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    I've lost count of the amount of ebay accounts that I've had banned/suspended.
    They will suspend your account if they think you are involved in shill bidding.
    If you list a item that is that is a high fraud risk, phones+rare collectables they can suspend your account and ask for further proof of identity.

    The best way to use ebay is to register 5 new accounts to your credit card and then ask your bank for a new card, setup 5 more accounts etc etc.

    This will enable you to build up fedback on several accounts and give your selling bussiness more insurance should something go wrong.

    Ebay accounts should be treated as disposable items, use them and abuse them..
    To me, that just honks of dodgy. I've got a grand total of one account, and have never had it banned, suspended or otherwise. I'm sure many more people are the same. I'm sure eBay would raise an eyebrow at the above practice.

  12. #12
    jack0w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    123
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I've had the PayPal restriction which Jack0w describes, but that only lasted a day or so. ebay do ban accounts though, if they think they're up to something funny. Since you say you haven't yet paid, then I'd count yourself lucky - if the account is reactivated then you probably do have to pay up, but I suspect it won't.
    Wish mine had only lasted a few days, ended up taking nearly a month to get it re-enabled!

    I was asked to produce proof of postage, update my phone number and show original receipts for all items sold. The website had a fault and wouldn't let me update my phone number and I was told since 'Paypal is a user managed portal' agents are unable to update details over the phone.... Despite faxing and uploading the proof of postage every time I phoned them they were 'unable to find it'!

    Complete nightmare, I was promised 5 in way of compensation for their poor handling of the case.... still haven't received that two months on!

  13. #13
    jack0w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    123
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    To me, that just honks of dodgy. I've got a grand total of one account, and have never had it banned, suspended or otherwise. I'm sure many more people are the same. I'm sure eBay would raise an eyebrow at the above practice.
    I have to admit I too have used my eBay account regularly for the past 3-4 years and have never had my eBay account disabled - even when selling high value/high risk items.

    Only people I've had a problem with is PayPal!

  14. #14
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,485
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    I was asked to produce proof of postage, update my phone number and show original receipts for all items sold.
    My check wasn't quite so involved - I remember having to update my phone number and answer an automated call (the quality of which was so bad I'm glad all I had to do was answer is because I couldn't understand what was said to me!), but that was about it I think.

    It seems daft to ask for receipts for everything you're selling though - what if you want to sell something you've had for a while or were given as a gift, or even something you bought off ebay come to that!

    The thing which annoyed me about it was that paypal never bothered to tell me that they had suspended my account, so the first I knew of it was when I tried to pay someone, meaning the seller ended up having to wait a few days before I could send them the money.

  15. #15
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,485
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    @Jose - Perhaps you could post your ebay seller ID so that we all know to look out for and avoid you. I for one wouldn't want dealings with someone who repeatedly flags ebay's monitoring for fraudulent activity and believes it best to have 10 accounts so they can better "abuse" their buyers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ebay blocked
    By Chris in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 16th October 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Ebay fraud advice?
    By rusty155 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2nd April 2008, 01:47 PM
  3. Temporary IT Technician
    By Iain.Faulkner in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th January 2008, 01:01 PM
  4. How to deal with ebay scammers
    By Oops_my_bad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 16th October 2007, 07:47 PM
  5. Think I've been stung on Ebay
    By park_bench in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 11:18 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •