+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, april 24th in General; Originally Posted by cookie_monster I think teachers should be made to have a cr*p job with no pension contributions and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I think teachers should be made to have a cr*p job with no pension contributions and standard holidays before they're allowed into into teaching (certainly not straight from uni). I've known many teachers who have worked in industry and almost all of them think the T's and C's are VERY good. They have no idea what it's like to work in a job where your pay is performance related or if the company isn't making money then NO payrise, i worked for a company for three years where i didn't get a payrise as the staff were told it was that or lay offs.

I don't really want to tarnish all teachers with the same brush (some work very hard) but their unions do them no favours and often make them look like a completely work shy bunch.

Still a day off would be nice ;-)
    Exactly. Working in industry is blooming scary....my brother recently told me about job redundancies that were going to hit a lot of people in the head office at the company he works for.

Not to mention the amount of travelling he does and the long hours (unpaid) he has to work. A lot of teachers who have come from industry couldn't hack in industry and after several years in teaching fall into this hard done by mentality.

You tell me a job which can pay upwards of 40K, isn't strictly performance related, guarantees year on year cost of living increases, requires minimal if any travelling for work purposes, provides 12 weeks holiday a year, and doesn't have the continual threat of redunancy ? If you can find a job that matches that description in industry i guarantee there'll be thousands of applicants.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have 8 NUT members in school, out of 34 teachers. It pretty much affects our upper school (year 7 & 8) mainly. The head is going to be discussing whether to close or not.

One of the things he mentioned is that teachers from other unions aren't allowed to cover the lessons of those teachers who are on strike, due to cross-union agreements.

I think he's leaning towards having it as an INSET-type day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    You tell me a job which can pay upwards of 40K, isn't strictly performance related, guarantees year on year cost of living increases, requires minimal if any travelling for work purposes, provides 12 weeks holiday a year, and doesn't have the continual threat of redunancy ? If you can find a job that matches that description in industry i guarantee there'll be thousands of applicants.
    Head of the NUT? Prime Minister?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Support staff were offered 2.2%, Teachers are offered 2.45%. Somehow I don't think there will be much support for NUT strikes withing the schools.

Thank Post
    Will be quite amusing if they don't close the school though. When UNISON went off they had to reduce to Y10 and 11 (or possibly just Y11). I shall chuckle heartily if when teachers strike the school doesn't have to close

Thank Post
    @ localzuk :Head of the NUT? Prime Minister?

Hehehe oh yes i forgot MP's. All on the gravy train

Thank Post
    Think most of our Teachers are NASUWT members..

Besdies our school is closed for the err.. Easter... Hols. well the 2 weeks that most schools had off last week..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Besdies our school is closed for the err.. Easter... Hols. well the 2 weeks that most schools had off last week..
    Not by the 24th you won't be - we have the funny late Easter hols too, and by 24th is in the first week back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Will be quite amusing if they don't close the school though. When UNISON went off they had to reduce to Y10 and 11 (or possibly just Y11). I shall chuckle heartily if when teachers strike the school doesn't have to close
    as would i but its kinda annoying that technically if there are no support staff, the school cannot function at all but yet support staff arent nearly as valued in alot of cases.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Not by the 24th you won't be - we have the funny late Easter hols too, and by 24th is in the first week back.
    D'oh

Myust read my calendar properly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12