+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, NM Interview Tips and Advice? in General; Hi All, I've just found out I am being interviewed for a Network Manager post this Friday! Very excited about ...

Thank Post

Question NM Interview Tips and Advice?

Hi All,

I've just found out I am being interviewed for a Network Manager post this Friday! Very excited about the prospect, but very nervous about the interview. Have to spend time talking with the Head of ICT and current NM, then formal interviews with Head and Govs.

So, has anyone got any useful gems of advice that might help me to clinch it?!

I'm not hugely good at interviews, so any tips would be very interesting!

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Hi All,

I've just found out I am being interviewed for a Network Manager post this Friday! Very excited about the prospect, but very nervous about the interview. Have to spend time talking with the Head of ICT and current NM, then formal interviews with Head and Govs.

Cheers!
    Relax, be yourself and try not to have any foot in mouth moments. A guy I was interviewing was talking about backup and said "I suppose it doesn't matter that much in a school as you don't have any important data" - guess if he got the job.

When I am recruiting (and I have done a fair bit) the biggest question in my mind is will this person fit in my setup - will they get on with folks how I need them too. Broadly speaking I can get a person up to the required level technically (assuming they're not a complete numpty) but I can't teach an excellent technical person good people skills if they don't have them and they are so important in our line of work.

I'm sure your technical skills are up to the job as you've got passsed the paper sift.

Good luck

Thank Post
    If they have a mission statement make sure you read it and know it or at least be able to answer a question about your part in helping fulfill it. Have a good look on the Becta site for sample questions etc.

Thank Post
    Read their last OFSTED, current SEF and ask them for their ICT and School Developement Plans.

Thank Post
    Check out their website and try and pick up on something there you can ask questions on. Have you phoned in and chatted with anyone or even tried to arrange a quick visit to the site? I was part of a short listing process last night and the talking to me before hand with a few questions or coming and seeing the site set some people past others in the governors eyes. Obviously you already have your interview but all this things will be taken into consideration for the final decision.

Thank Post
    I believe WITCH had something to do with recruitment in the past. She might be able to offer you some good advice.

I personally feel like an idiot at interviews, when it comes to them asking "have you got any questions you'd like to ask us" I always sit there trying to rack my brains and end up saying "Well I think you've covered any questions I had" out of sheer panic. So be prepared with some questions.

But saying that I got offered the jobs at the last three job interviews I've had (which are the only interviews I've ever had lol).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Read their last OFSTED, current SEF and ask them for their ICT and School Developement Plans.
    Schools self evaluations are kept on a secure site only the school can access it, its not publicly available information.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    When I am recruiting (and I have done a fair bit) the biggest question in my mind is will this person fit in my setup - will they get on with folks how I need them too. Broadly speaking I can get a person up to the required level technically (assuming they're not a complete numpty) but I can't teach an excellent technical person good people skills if they don't have them and they are so important in our line of work.

I'm sure your technical skills are up to the job as you've got passsed the paper sift.

Good luck
    Completely agree with this; I'm actually just writing questions for an interview on Friday and I'm really focussing on the "people" stuff - we do a practical test to find out if the candidates know which way the plug goes in :-)

Definitely think about the questions that are being asked and how they fit with where you are. We always ask a question about equal opportunities. the candidate who answered by going on about political correctness didn't get far. He'd obviously not noticed the (broad) ethnic mix of the college, the students in wheelchairs or those with guide dogs!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the pointers, very much appreciated.

Feel free to keep them coming if there are any more out there - it really is helpful!

Chris

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Cheers!

What school is it for?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    What school is it for?
    I'd rather not say publicly, but it is in our neck of the woods.

Thank Post
    I got my NM job by being very enthusiastic, emphasising my strong points over and over again and being affable.

I also was the old NM's choice because I'm a cyclist which he liked

Thank Post
    One question I've never been able to get my head round was...

"How would you prioritise your daily work?"

Personally, I've always seen our jobs as reactive, as opposed to constantly proactive, because if you're proactive enough, there's little need to be reactive. Making sure the PCs are working on a regular basis etc etc...

Is there a better way to answer that question?

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the tips, but didn't get the job.

I feel like moving this thread to FFS! now

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the tips, but didn't get the job.

I feel like moving this thread to FFS! now
    Make sure you get feedback.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread