+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Kid becomes Network Admin at 11 in General; Originally Posted by el8linuxel8 Iv just turned 20 and have been doing this for a year now, gets old quick ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by el8linuxel8 View Post
    Iv just turned 20 and have been doing this for a year now, gets old quick so im off to university

Compsci should be much more fun than fixing printers. :-)
    I wouldn't bet on it. Computer science degrees are fine if they have a good element of practical real world skills incorporated into the course i.e CCNA academy , Microsoft Academy elements. But too many don't seem to have that, i'd advocate doing a degree for career enhancement, but unless you know the IT marketplace you're back to square one at the end of the course. If you're unfortunate you'll get a job as a software tester if you're fortunate you'll be taken on and fast tracked as a consultant in a particular discipline.

Working in a school IT dept. is a good foundation up to a point. But there's so much going on industry that schools don't even get a whiff of. So you can end up being a wee bit of ignorant about what's out there and what systems companies are deploying.

Thank Post
    My degree runs CCNA and CCNP along side it aswell as other Cisco modules such as IP Telephony and Fundamentals of Network Security. I get to do WLAN too at some point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    My degree runs CCNA and CCNP along side it aswell as other Cisco modules such as IP Telephony and Fundamentals of Network Security. I get to do WLAN too at some point.
    Yeah, almost makes me want to go back and to a BSc or Msc, some of the modules they're doing now....

Good job i've got most of the ccnp, voip, wlan kit and then some to have a play with. Don't have an atlas 550 mind....but then there are other ways to do pstn simulation.

Thank Post

Thumbs up network admin

Hi all

When i started my high school in 2000 i started to get involved in the IT department and helping with the network, the head of IT was really friendly and encouraged me to help out and learn how the network works.

i was at the school until 2005 when i did my GCSE's and i left for college over the 2 years i was at college i was offered a part time job to assist with the network, after i finished my college cource i was offered a full time job as IT Technician and after 1 year fully employed i have a 55K budget and i am only 18!! (30k for major projects, 20k for contracts and about 5k for every day stuff)

People that say school technicians dont see enterprise class hardware are totaly wrong at the moment we are investing in a 7k tape library for backups a 40K+ SAN soloution, the latest quad core HP prolient servers and top end HP procurve fibre switches!! technology in school has moved away from the typewriter!!. school networks experisence higher network load in one day then a medium sized business may experience in a week!! (you have 4-6 technicians for 100 computers in a business, in school we have 230+ computers 900+ users with only 2 of us, soon to be just 1 - me!)

Over the last few months the techies were we are located joined together and formed a technical forum and we have been invited by the head of sophos education to visit there head offices in oxford and tour the sophos virus labs with there head of virus research. the education team travaled over 3 hours to give us a 10 minute presentation they are that impressed with our techical forum. will update you all when we get back we are going on the 22nd april so will let you know whats its like.

just going back to the thread i total belive that if i had not been encouraged to work on the network at the age of 11 i would not be in the great job im in now so good luck to that eleven year old - good on ya!!

5. Thanks to mattstevenson2005 from:

torledo (17th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Something I've noticed amongst my own peers is that they seem quite descriminate of the education sector because all they've ever seen are naff networks with poorly utilised RM CC stuff and things like that with old hardware. They don't seem to understand just how much funding technology college status brings in etc and how much enterprise class hardware educational techs actually see.

Blind to the world they don't know I suppose...

Thank Post
    great opening post matt.

I'l echo joe's sentiments regarding schools investing in enterpise kit such as ESX/VI3 and SAN's.

But i would say the quality of networks and infrastructure still varies greatly vary from school to school, LA to LA. We all know that while things are getting better for some there are still lots of schools lagging behind, and schools who don't get the kind of IT spend required. Or schools who do have reasonably good budgets where the network manager is kept out of the loop and one disastrous IT decision after another is made by SMT or you have a Network Manager who doesn't know his backside from his elbow, and therefore has no problems making questionable IT decision all on his or her own .

But yes, many are doing things the correct way.
    Last edited by torledo; 17th April 2008 at 07:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    Something I've noticed amongst my own peers is that they seem quite descriminate of the education sector because all they've ever seen are naff networks with poorly utilised RM CC stuff and things like that with old hardware. They don't seem to understand just how much funding technology college status brings in etc and how much enterprise class hardware educational techs actually see.

Blind to the world they don't know I suppose...
    But that argument could be said for any network not just cc3 networks. I seen some cc3 networks that are better than some vanilla networks and other way around.

It depends on how it is utilised and that is problem with people not any one vendor.

Thank Post
    I wasn't implying that RM was bad. You'll notice that I said "poorly utilised."

My view on design choice is whatever works for you. (It all links into my philosophy on distro wars.)

And I totally agree with you Russ. I was just echoing the sentiments of some people I've spoken to.

Thank Post
    When I was in school I was virtually network manager, I also ran an afterschool club!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattstevenson2005 View Post

just going back to the thread i total belive that if i had not been encouraged to work on the network at the age of 11 i would not be in the great job im in now so good luck to that eleven year old - good on ya!!

dunno about this i work with him

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234