+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Kid becomes Network Admin at 11 in General; Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey When I was 11 they landed on the moon Aah - but did they really? Butuz...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    When I was 11 they landed on the moon
    Aah - but did they really?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Does it worry anyone else that this school has published a nice colour photo, the kid's name age and school address on the Internet??
    I agree there is a bit too much info but it's important to remember that contrary to what the gov would have us believe there isn't a paedophile on every corner ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeh they landed on the moon but realised that they couldn't film it so faked the footage ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I agree there is a bit too much info but it's important to remember that contrary to what the gov would have us believe there isn't a paedophile on every corner ;-)
    True, there isn't one on every corner, just some of the corners. Not everyone in the world is burglar either, but I bet you still lock your door when you leave in the morning. It is only sensible to take measures to protect ourselves...

Thank Post
    I forgot to lock my car door one night and some git nicked my stereo, the funny thing is that they didn't even try the door and still smashed the window :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. Kids need to spend time being kids. Fine if that's his hobby and he has other activities that balance his life but my guess is he probably doesn't.
    Yes, computer nerds tend not to have that balance. But a friend of mine was fixing TV's, VCR's and god knows what else at that age. A few years later and there was nothing he couldn't put his hand to. For him his hobby became a career and he's probably the coolest and most sociable person i know.

Ofcourse it helped that at that age he wasn't whiling his time away on the internet or playing computer games, but electronics is kindof a geeky past time. And he was anything but geeky.

The trouble with computing/networks as a hobby is that it can take up an awful lot of you're time, and that's what i worry about with my son. That he develops an interest in an area that is so difficult to keep up with such as computers. Much rather he got into meccano or lego technic, as it's something that can lead him to develop skills an engineer later on in life.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Some 11 year old in the US has been helping out the staff and recommending stuff for their network.
    Which implies one of two things: either the child in question is some sort of prodigy/genius/idiot savant, or that fixing broken computers and installing anti-virus software is so easy the average 11-year-old can do it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll go with the latter :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Which implies ... that fixing broken computers and installing anti-virus software is so easy the average 11-year-old can do it.
    Considering what this particular kid did was boot some PCs from image CDs and evaluate different anti-virus programs, it probably is something that any smart 11-yr-old could do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @torledo

I know where you are coming from my son currently likes anything with wires.

He currently has an old n/w cable which he has worked out goes in his baby laptop

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...aby-laptop.jpg

Dam vtech for not providing a network port

But one thing we still do is make sure that has wide range and he stays active does lots of outside play as well..

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I forgot to lock my car door one night and some git nicked my stereo, the funny thing is that they didn't even try the door and still smashed the window :-)
    Wait, how do you know he didnt smash the window then unlock it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much all of the stuff which has been done is half smart home user grade stuff. This kid may look like a genious to the reporters and staff of the school but I think it has far more to do with the people measuring his actual skill level.

I commend the kid for using some of his time to learn some extra skills. I agree that he should get some other interests as well but what he is doing now does not prevent that unless he chooses to let it do so.

Thank Post
    ^ Yep. Theres plenty of kids who can install software, i mean hell its not hard on windows nowadays. I was using Basic when i was 2yr old ffs

Thank Post
    Wait, how do you know he didnt smash the window then unlock it?
    Ahem it's not the first time i've forgot to lock it :-) the GF berates me about it quite often, i remember thinking back and i'd popped out to get something and didn't have a spare hand to lock it and 'was' going to pop back out but it must of slipped my mind.

Thank Post
    Stupid Media!, everyone will be praising that kid when he hasnt even done much, installed a few old os's and a gateway. If he was really good he would of made the gateway himself using a Linux OS or something which would of saved them money..

I get paid by my school for creating web based applications using php and mysql and i dont get put on the news or anything...Grrr!

Thank Post
    Hmm, same here, i was in charge of a small school network by 11, by 15 I was actually employed and in charge of budget, and by 17 i was running a software company.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast