+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Job titles... in General; Wierd question.. I'm currently an ICT Technician and in April will reach the top of my scale. I'm trying to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Smile Job titles...

Wierd question..

I'm currently an ICT Technician and in April will reach the top of my scale.

I'm trying to think of new responsibilities for myself to be able to move up onto a new scale. Any ideas?

Also, what job titles do you have or can you have in a school? I've heard of Network manager, ICT manager, ICT Technician what else can you be?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well what jobs do you currently do?

Thank Post
    I'm titled ICT Services Manager which I think is a made up title to merge IT Manager, & Network Manager.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    General hardware maintenance
    Website
    AV setup and maintenance
    Help staff/pupils

Usual Technician stuff i think...

My really interest is hardware, was considering asking for more responsibility with the hardware.

Thank Post
    Depending on the amount of kit available it may not be feasible, but I divide responsibilities up (roughly) between my team whereby one of them has specific responsibility for the Workstations across the whole site; from their working order, to their cleaning/servicing and damage logging. - We then take this into account with other jobs so as to not put too much load on a single person!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do most stuff including. The only thing I don’t do is setup the online exams. This is an idea of what I do:
    General Server stuff event logs etc
    Backups
    Webfiltering
    WSUS
    Website
    Support students

Take a look at this Wiki page for ideas Maintainece Schedule - EduGeek.net Wiki

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Theres over 300 workstations in the school. Most rooms have some sort of projector setup. I do the majority of hardware maintenance. There's only me and the NM..

Thank Post
    Senior IT Technician?

Thank Post
    Well the place I'll be going back to for my placement year has the techie in charge of ICT Services department and he's called "Lead Technician."

My job title will be "ICT Network Technician" seeing as in my job description it basically comes out that I'll be primarily responsible for network hardware and infrastructure at a switching and routing level. Remote access and things like that come under my umbrella of responsibility as does network monitoring.

Thank Post
    You could try for Network Development officer, if you dont mind me asking, roughly what scale are we talking about here, The nationwide scale covers roughly the details below:

Scale 3 tends to cover Junior/assis technican
    Scale 4 tends to cover IT Technicians/ICT Officers
    Scale 5-6 teands to cover senior technicians/Senior ICT Officers
    Grade PO1 covers Network Development Officer (NDO) and technical/support analysts and Network managers
    PO3 - S01 covers Senior Technical/Support Analysts

Hope this is of some help, it is a rough guide however, based on where i am working.

11. Thanks to acrobson from:

tech_guy (30th March 2008)

Thank Post
    We have a Network Manager here - me and two technicians with the title ICT Technician. They both have the same title but one is more senior in terms of pay and experience.

Im not sure if a title is all that important although we may probably look at changing it to Senior ICT Technician but job role and pay will probably not change.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I'm trying to think of new responsibilities for myself to be able to move up onto a new scale. Any ideas?

Also, what job titles do you have or can you have in a school? I've heard of Network manager, ICT manager, ICT Technician what else can you be?
    Forget titles, your job title has absolutely nothing to do with your level of responsibility or your pay grade.

If you reached the top of your scale, your only option (other than getting the cost of living increase) is to get your job re-evaluated. You must be able to prove that you already do more than is in your job description. You must be able to show that the added responsibilities are worth more than the existing grade.. Your employer would have to agree to the re-evaluation, so a supportive line manager would be helpful.

Alternatively, find someone in the local authority of the of opposite sex who has 'similar role and responsibility' and put in an equal pay claim. Clearly this isn't the best way to forge a good relation with your employer, but it may be an option

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    Well the place I'll be going back to for my placement year has the techie in charge of ICT Services department and he's called "Lead Technician."

My job title will be "ICT Network Technician" seeing as in my job description it basically comes out that I'll be primarily responsible for network hardware and infrastructure at a switching and routing level. Remote access and things like that come under my umbrella of responsibility as does network monitoring.
    only at large companies do you see specific responsibility for network equipment or large uni campuses where they have a dedicated network services team.

Most medium sized environments will handle LAN wan voip in addition to win and Linux administration. The environments typically aren't large or complex enough for true network technicians

A lot of places use the title network technician to describe junior roles in large network services teams or as someone who does the other stuff in addition to network config and troubleshooting
    Last edited by torledo; 30th March 2008 at 05:16 PM.

Thank Post
    The last job you described is about right. I take on the roles of a standard technician but become the one responsible for network config, troubleshooting and monitoring. I also take on the Linux stuff and a few other things.

Thank Post
    the job title ins't the most important thing, the important thing is having the skills assoacited with another job and actually being able to use these skills. I notice in another thread you were very unconfident with a server, tbh you'll probably need to gain more server related skills before you can be evaluated. If your unable to actually gain the experience i would recommend doing a few ms courses or even just reading the books.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast