+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Not all kids are bad! in General; A heartwarming tale for you all. Recently been coming in early to set up laptop/projector and speakers for some Year ...
    Thank Post

Smile Not all kids are bad!

A heartwarming tale for you all.

Recently been coming in early to set up laptop/projector and speakers for some Year 11 kids to do a presentation in assemblies. Original plan was 4 assemblies in one week, one for each house. Due to teachers rearranging things and Ofsted visits leading to assemblies being cancelled at the last minute, finally did the last one this morning at the 7th attempt.

Of course this makes me not a happy bunny for all the early, unpaid starts that have been a waste of my time, and that of the Year 11s.

However, whilst sat in the office waiting for the kids to go to lesson's so i can go and pack up the kit, one of the Year 11s comes in and says a big thank you and hands over an easter egg! Sat there speechless for a sec before mumbling a stunned thank you.

Looks like someone does appreciate all the effort after all, and i now have a nice fuzzy feeling inside

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are some good kids, but we never tend to see them. All we see are the ones who abuse the system.

Thank Post
    Although a lot of us are used to doing a lot of work with little thanks, I'm quite lucky here - I've been given thank you cards and a number of small presents from pupils in the past - even from past pupils who have came back to ask for computer coursework advice!

1 heart-warming moment I had quite recently was after I was told about a pupil who could not participate in a trip until her work was handed in. Unfortunately the printer decided to play up at that point - cue a disappointed pupil. Once I heard the story I fixed the problem & actually went for a trip around the school looking for the pupil to give her the printouts. Seeing the pupils face light up and thank me as she ran off to hand the work in made my day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkySpanner View Post
    ......and hands over an easter egg!
    ITS A TRAP!

Thank Post
    I have a little band of helpers who tidy up the ICT suites, untangle headphones, clean the minibus. They even sort out my waste for recycling. They love it and it and they are learning some good life-skills. I wish I'd thought to get them some Easter eggs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I once found a pupils CD that she had been looking for and when I gave it her she gave me a hug....

fair don't do hugs... not even with my friends!

Thank Post
    'Good Kids' is just another way of saying 'Bad kids that haven't been caught yet'!

kerrymoralee9280
    Maybe it's just me but I find some of the 'bad' kids here are spot on with our department. They are known troublemakers but for some reason they treat us with more respect than teachers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I find some of the 'bad' kids here are spot on with our department. They are known troublemakers but for some reason they treat us with more respect than teachers.
    Yep. I think its because they dont see us as authority figures quite so much. Ive found if you talk to kids how you would expect them to talk to you ie you arnt above them talking down to them, they are alright

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I have a little band of helpers who tidy up the ICT suites, untangle headphones, clean the minibus. They even sort out my waste for recycling. They love it and it and they are learning some good life-skills. I wish I'd thought to get them some Easter eggs.

My little band of year 6 helpers get something at the end of every term... (small) Easter eggs this term!

It makes all of us happy

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It makes my day when we get a student who says 'please' or 'thank you' or who holds a door open for you as you struggle through carrying a massive load. Shame some of the staff can't do the same sometimes.....

Thank Post
    It is a nice feeling...we had one at christmas..

Sat in the LRC patching up a SFF Dell, 30 seconds to the holiday bell...in comes a year 7 student. I thought nothing of it...until she proceeded to hug the librarian, then came over and did the same to me, followed by a "have a good holiday" to each of us..

We do have a few..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    It is a nice feeling...we had one at christmas..

Sat in the LRC patching up a SFF Dell, 30 seconds to the holiday bell...in comes a year 7 student. I thought nothing of it...until she proceeded to hug the librarian, then came over and did the same to me, followed by a "have a good holiday" to each of us..

We do have a few..
    Did you check your back pocket to make sure your wallet was still there? ;-)

I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here - don't get any gifts from students but they are a decent bunch here who show respect to both the teaching and support staff.

Thank Post
    We have kids who hold the door open for us here like, however they tend to let go just as your half way through with the new equipment!

We get a couple of 'please' and 'thank you's', after a day or two passes without internet access!

I can accept that there are good kids out, just they were senisble enough not to come to this school!.

The thing is, the good kids are good because they dont attention seek and get there head down and get on with there work, but they are in the minority from my experience and the bad kids are heard and seen more than the others. Shame really.
    Last edited by acrobson; 30th March 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Heh..no, I never carry money of any sort. I think it was one of those "I'm new, but my sisters/brothers/siblings long-left now have told me all about you" things..I know I'm on ratemyteacher or whatever it is as "Cool..".

I'm always polite to the kids...as with others. Greet them in the morning, smile, hold doors for them, bit of banter on the way in..same as and when they arrive at my desk for help..to be fair, there are only a handful of our kids I could describe as "bad"...most are good kids, who aren't so good in academic areas.

I was sat discussing alloys with a year 11 lad who everyone says is "awful" apart from the IT dept...I asked (firmly tongue in cheek) if they were for his skateboard..

"No you fool..they're for my Mini..."

"Oh? Mini eh? 998? 1275?"

"Nah. Vauxhall XE redtop.."

"Sod me..you're building one?"

"Yep..want to see pics? hang on..oh yeah, you drive an Astra don't you..want a new engine?"

Most of our kids are like that...in classrooms, a nightmare. Outside, they're all quite nice! Not educationally gifted maybe, but most seem to have part time jobs plastering/labouring etc just for the fun of it.

Bring on the vocational training centre with the new academy...give them something to really get their teeth into..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 30th March 2008 at 10:13 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast