+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, First Job in General; Originally Posted by torledo My own view on the army recruiting school leavers is that particularly over the last 4 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    My own view on the army recruiting school leavers is that particularly over the last 4 years of the iraq and afghanistan conflicts, the news reports coming out of the war zones sits at odds with the recuitment ads on the telly. Ofcourse that's going to be the case, the armed forces are hardly going recreate the opening seconds of saving private ryan in their adverts.....but i think there's some confusion as to what being in the armed forces really means.

The adverts seem to be focusing on careers within the army, as mechanical engineers, cooks etc. rather than as soldiers on the front line. At best it's not painting the entire picture at worst it's misleading. Ofcourse the armed forces need and have a huge support system of cooks, engineers and admin staff - but aren't these roles in most cases far removed from the roadside bombs, the foot patrols and the exposure to danger due to lack of equipment ? Recruiting for a profession in the army to me is very different to recruiting a soldier. Or are all in the army soldiers irrespective of their role ?

Dont get me wrong i totally agree with what you are saying, but they really are pushing for the trades. My brother is soon (when/if the fighting dies down) to join the military police but he was pushed and pushed to be in the REME. So much so they were offering to get him do 2 trades.

Personally i think hes an idiot to go in the army but hes an even bigger idiot not to take up 2 trades. Spark and mechanic and hes set up for life once he leaves.

Thank Post
    It forces the person to mature at a faster rate than any other career would, and this would be seen in aspects of your later life.

Not where I was. I'm still in contact with several of my old mates and one of the things we have in common is we still haven't grown up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Dont get me wrong i totally agree with what you are saying, but they really are pushing for the trades. My brother is soon (when/if the fighting dies down) to join the military police but he was pushed and pushed to be in the REME. So much so they were offering to get him do 2 trades.

Personally i think hes an idiot to go in the army but hes an even bigger idiot not to take up 2 trades. Spark and mechanic and hes set up for life once he leaves.
    REME ?

Thank Post
    ROYAL ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, my Dad might have found me a job @ a fruit and veg market, so hopefully all will go ok.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Hope it goes well!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information