+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What do you do? in General; OK, so, many times now I have read in various posts about how people are "always rushing around, no time ...
    Thank Post

What do you do?

OK, so, many times now I have read in various posts about how people are "always rushing around, no time for breaks, busy busy busy" etc. especialy during the holidays (those who work during them).

Well, my question is this;

What do you guys actually DO that makes you so busy all the time?

I only ask because me and the techie here seem to have quite a bit of "spare time" as of late, especially since we got the network/wireless set up, profiles sorted and new servers installed, and I'm getting the feeling that there's something we should be doing that I'm missing..... though I have no clue what, and neither does he!

Maybe it's because we have (relatively) little equipment here (50-odd laptops and about the same number of PCs)?
    We don't have in-house internet control or filtering (all done by E2BN, sadly ), we used to assist in lessons but now that Staff are OK with the new system they don't ask us anymore, we have been told so often that we can't spend money on new equipment that it's hardly worth looking into "future ideas" (which I have already done a doc. for anyway)......

Don't get me wrong, we don't just sit around do nothing all day*, I'm just wondering what (if any) "active" things you NM's / Techies do with regards to "network management" as opposed to being "passive troubleshooters / problem solvers" that perhaps we don't do........unless we're just lucky in that nothing ever seems to actually go wrong around here :P

Cheers guys,

Pete

*from what I remember from being at school and seeing the NM at my Uni, they seemed to spend most of the day drinking coffee and playing solitaire, only venturing out of thier rooms when a problem needed fixing!
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 20th March 2008 at 11:09 AM.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yikes, two of you and only 100 PCs?! Sounds like a dream job!

Thank Post
    Theres always something that needs looking at or someone that needs to talk to me because they need x or y for their department. I handle lots of phone calls every day mostly getting rid of people selling stuff.
    There is all the admin staff to look after SIMs etc. Planning for upcoming projects. School website, moodle, Phone system painting my office etc etc.
    I am currently busy going through applications for a new Technician. I have a office to finish wiring later. The list is pretty endless.

Thank Post
    I've got about 150 to myself and some days find that i am in the situation where there is very little to do.

When i do have some spare time i go around and perform windows updates on the machines that i can get access to. I also delete all the profiles off the machines (delprof) and defrag the machines once a term.

I also go around giving the machines a quick wipe down and vaccume them out once a term. Once all thats done there is usually something that needs doing or fixing.

I then start reading my MCSE Server books.

Thank Post
    Dream job
    You say that, but in a way it's not as it makes me feel as though I am not doing enough "real work".....

I know that sounds a bit daft, and some of you who go to multiple schools would love to spend a month here doing the (compatively) little actual "work" here :P

Maybe it's just because its the last day of term here, but we are sitting here (on hold with RM for the last 25 minuntes after speaking to 3 people in 2 wrong departments, which doesn't help ) and just kinda wondering if there is something a bit more productive we should be doing...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    and just kinda wondering if there is something a bit more productive we should be doing...

Learning how to hack Columbian Drug Baron's bank accounts and transfer all the funds into your own account....?!

Thank Post
    go around and perform windows updates on the machines that i can get access to
    Automatic here, done with WSUS, makes life easier

I also delete all the profiles off the machines (delprof)
    Run with the logoff script

and defrag the machines once a term
    Already scheduled task, 1st day back next term is the next one

I also go around giving the machines a quick wipe down and vaccume them out once a term
    Done over the last 2 days, along with projectors.

Don't mean to disount your ideas Jamin

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    School website
    Currently awaiting approval for my new design to go "live", and our VLP isn't used by anyone despite us taking weeks to go on training days an setting it all up....

@tech_guy; hmm, that's given me an idea.......

At least no-one (yet) has mentioned something thats made me go
    "AHA! We don't do that and really should!"

Thanks for the responses guys

Thank Post
    With any downtime I have I always try to take common tasks we have to do and script them, e.g. laptop imaging, software installs, etc.

Learn how to make msi's for RM networks could be a major part of this.

Implement new systems - help desk system, class room booking, etc

Thank Post
    How about researching stuff. new software, ways to monitor the network, Linux...

Heck there is loads you could do, expecially as you only have 25 computers each (excluding laptops).

The amount of Uni coursework I could get done!

Oh the humanity!!!

Thank Post
    This time of year is our quiet period. No money in any departments so they stop breaking things. I tend to research projects or new tech (currently fiddling with SharePoint and an idea for a virtual image for students) or try and do those horrible jobs that need concentration or just don't have time to do normally. Though they tend to get put off as they really are the grind jobs

Thank Post
    We have 2 of us and 200ish machines...most of the backend is handled by LEA for now..so we do have a fair amount of "free" time.

In the new building, going our own way I do expect to be run off my feet. Looking forward to it.

Currently I'm reading E-books on Office 2007 and refreshing my knowledge, and tweaking the workstation builds and playing with server08 on Virtualbox, as well as doing some scanning. Steve's doing our accounts. He does enjoy that.

All our updating etc is done through WSUS as well. Occasional profile purges, stuff the defrags, clean and service/ dust the PCs once a year (did in August), clean IWBs and associated kit, the rest is done as we find the need.

When we have a major blitz on the builds, it only takes a day to do as many as we want..best done in the hols though. It's far less of an arse to just reimage the machinery every 12 months than to defrag, purge profiles and tidy up loose files..

This easter, Steve will be playing with CS3, and I..well..I'll be VMing and VPNing from home, maybe pop in for a day to do some odds and sods, but I'll do most WS maintenance from home. I'd like to have a look at sharepoint etc too..so much I want to read and play with..heh..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 20th March 2008 at 12:26 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    3/4 of my day is currently supervision, from turning up to work right up to my (late) lunch break

The rest of it is spent doing the fun stuff.

Thank Post
    and I'm getting the feeling that there's something we should be doing that I'm missing.....
    It sounds like you've got the network management side of things pretty sorted - just as it should be. Time to get on and start developing learning resources.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do you guys actually DO that makes you so busy all the time?
    Hows your documentation, that might be something to do. Can't say I've had a problem with too much spare time as I have to deal with around 600pcs on my own.

Thank Post
    Currently

All Server hardware
    All Server software
    All networking
    All ordering/maint for the above
    All software
    Sims support
    Bromcom Support

all the usual network maintenance stuff.

End user support for 1100 users.

400 pcs (exc laptops). One and 1/2 other techs).

And lots of time spent on "Thinking on behalf of those with no brain".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information