Poll: Unions - what is your view?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unions - do we need them and who is in one? in General; There have been many threads where advice has been 'speak to the union'. Only 2 members of (80) Support Staff ...

Thank Post

Unions - do we need them and who is in one?

There have been many threads where advice has been 'speak to the union'. Only 2 members of (80) Support Staff are in a union at this school, mainly because they are ladies who work part time (for a pittance!!) and they do not want to rock the boat - who can blame them? I doubt if any of the few full timers would join as they are after an easy life. They saw how the union members were treated when there was an official strike a few years ago. I often voice the issue of a union when people are really angry, but after subsiding back to normality, they forget it and move on. For the work we do, we are really treated shabbily and the pay is rubbish. It doesn't help when your boss tells you that 'network staff are two a penny"! Do they understand the power we have at our finger tips!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,702 Posts
    When I worked in the state sector, union membership was regarded as essential... to back you up in case of disciplinary issues, such as unfounded allegations by children.

I'm not a member since I moved to private, but keep thinking I ought to be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are not a member of union they we will wait why you join......

I mean it go and fill the form now we will wait...

Right now that is over as you can tell I feel that this is something you must have as been said before very easy to get into hot water in a school all it takes is one student.

As people have found out you can't join after the fact and get advice so really go and join now.

Russell

Thank Post
    well my local union office is in the same office as the council so says it all really!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Russ you are so right, I am in a union for my protection not to negotiate my pay...referring to my ear;lier post re JE they are the people who should advise me impartially. If there was ever any accusations made by kids or staff they are the people to defend me... if you are not in a union it is similar to not being insured to drive your car.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwatkins View Post
    ... if you are not in a union it is similar to not being insured to drive your car.
    No it's not - 1 is a legal requirement the other isn't. You're not breaking any law if you're not in a union (perhaps the law of common sense maybe). It may be similar to not being in the RAC or AA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm in unison... £7.50 a month.

Useful if something bad happens... i think... never had to use them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    When I worked in the state sector, union membership was regarded as essential... to back you up in case of disciplinary issues, such as unfounded allegations by children.

I'm not a member since I moved to private, but keep thinking I ought to be.
    That's the very reason that I am in a union (and I'm in a private school too). As others have said, this is primarily an 'insurance policy' in case I ever need their legal services; I'm not looking to them to negotiate me a pay rise.

Personally, I think anyone who can't afford their own solicitor but isn't in a union is stupid. But that's just my view.

Thank Post
    I think unions are a waste of time and money, why do I need someone in a room with me for a disciplinary should it arise, if I can't defend myself then there's something wrong. We had the GMB in recently trying to sign us up on the basis they are fighting for a national pay scheme for support staff, yet they could give no assurances that money wouldn't go down.
    If i'm not a member of the union and they are negotiating on behalf of all support staff and my money would end up going down, do i have to accept it?
    There were too many if's and but's for my liking and to top it off the person he bought with him to give perspective from staff in school, worked in a primary not secondary! Nothing like tailoring to your audience.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm in for the strikes... if i wasn't in i'd be on my own when there was a strike... and that was never good (when i was an apprentice)

heheh :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    if you are not in a union it is similar to not being insured to drive your car.... fair comment bad analogy!!

Thank Post
    Been in union for several years now and after seeing allegations against staff and one of my colleagues who wasn't in a union dismissed i'll pay the £10 or so a month for some sort of backing should the need arise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,702 Posts
    OK - I've pulled my finger out and joined online... I should never have let it lapse when I started here. Can I change my reply in the poll

Thank Post
    I can't recommend strongly enough being in a Union, it is a small price to pay for backup if things go wrong and as has been said before it only takes one wrongful allegation to ruin a career.

Thank Post
    I wasn't until about a year ago when i thought it was really about time for me to get it done for the £7.50 a month just for my own peace of mind if something was ever said. ATL i'm with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information