Poll: Unions - what is your view?

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Unions - do we need them and who is in one? in General; ...
    Thank Post
    I joined a union as soon as i started work. I was so glad when BSF came along as they were handling the tupee talks between all of the powers that be and we had regular weekly talks with the union and some how all that were with that particular union got either tupeed across or got a better deal.

There were a handful who weren't with the union and didn't/ failed to get there point across and havn't been seen since. Not sure what there doing now.

It currently costs me about £6-7 a month, which i think is a fair price, plus you get in-sider newsletters which you may not see otherwise, or at least until a much later date when it me be too late to act. Plus, like it was said previously, you get strike days too!!! Okay, they may be unapid.....but if your a team of four and three are with the union and your not, youn dont waana be the only one in.

I know a while back on a strike, the SLT had decided to close the school as there were no support staff diue to the strike, then they discovered that there were 1 science technician, 1 technical officer and 1 repro assistnat who could'nt strike as they were'nt with the union, as they were still at work they were able to keep the school open! Things ran a bit slower that day......but they did still run which went against the whole point of the strike overall.......!

A few points to consider anyway....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    My personal opinion, is if you're in a position to join a Union then you should do so. I've seen quite a few members of staff from various establishments have accusations made against them, and as we all know, when children are involved it gets very political/legal.

A Union will represent you in all aspects of your job from fair/equal pay, to health and safety and your legal rights. In a worse case scenario if ever you needed legal representation, this would all be covered from your Union subscription.

As already mentioned, the best way to define a Union is a form of insurance. A Union isn't perfect, but they have teams of people ready to help and support workers in all different professions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    A Union will represent you in all aspects of your job from fair/equal pay, to health and safety and your legal rights. In a worse case scenario if ever you needed legal representation, this would all be covered from your Union subscription.
    Unless the Unison member in charge is on a full time secondment from the local authority (nudge nudge,wink wink). The Unison representative is obliged to give 'an opinion' on case referrals made to the lawyers, who are subcontracted by unison to work on a 'no win no fee' basis. If s/he's in the pocket of the LA - your FCUKed

*oops I accidentally said unison, rather than unions.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 30th March 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are unhappy with your union representative at your institute you have the right to referral to a union rep at a different institute or to take it to the next level up. This is often the case when you are involved in a case involving you and others at your school who are in the same union.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    If you are unhappy with your union representative at your institute you have the right to referral to a union rep at a different institute or to take it to the next level up. This is often the case when you are involved in a case involving you and others at your school who are in the same union.
    By that time it's usually too late. Bearing in mind there are 3 months given to lodge complaints to a tribunal ! Several times in my authority I have seen Uni(s)ons not refer a case to their lawyers that has subsequently been won by the employee at a tribunal level !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    i always used to be in a union, but i dont see the point currently, and as for scare tactics about allegations from pupils, you are entitled to legal aid to defend yourself should it worry you.
    I've been away for a week or so, but over a candle lit dinner with a solicitor, I mentioned this and she said that as it would be an employment tribunal you would not be entitled to legal aid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    she said that as it would be an employment tribunal you would not be entitled to legal aid.
    This is true, but its also very rare for tribunals to award costs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I went for ATL as it covers Independent schools and Support Staff (I was in JMB at my state school)
    Thanks I will join them for the moment then I'm in one and see where my job hunting takes me and obviously move if I move places if needed etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    This is true, but its also very rare for tribunals to award costs.
    I think the point of legal aid is to pay for a solicitor to represent you, otherwise, you defend yourself.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    http://www.gmb.org.uk/shared_asp_fil...choolswork.pdf

This is interesting article on school support staff in general making the school work!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information