Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

Poll: Unions - what is your view?

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unions - do we need them and who is in one? in General; Markcuk - well my local union office is in the same office as the council so says it all really!!! ...

Thank Post
    Markcuk - well my local union office is in the same office as the council so says it all really!!!
    What does it say? I think you’ll find that this is quite a common practice.
    Triggmiester - I think unions are a waste of time and money, why do I need someone in a room with me for a disciplinary should it arise, if I can't defend myself then there's something wrong. We had the GMB in recently trying to sign us up on the basis they are fighting for a national pay scheme for support staff, yet they could give no assurances that money wouldn't go down.
    If i'm not a member of the union and they are negotiating on behalf of all support staff and my money would end up going down, do i have to accept it?
    Yes you do have to accept it.
    CAM - Do you have to tell your employer and would it affect your chances for contract renewal for temporary contract staff if you do?
    You don’t have to tell your employer as far as I know, but the temporary contract deal is a tricky one. Russ?
    Farmerste - i always used to be in a union, but i dont see the point currently, and as for scare tactics about allegations from pupils, you are entitled to legal aid to defend yourself should it worry you.
    Just a cotton picking minute. Where does legal aid come from? Why the taxpayer of course. And who has done most to reduce this burden on the tax payer? That would be the Labour Party. Funding for legal aid has been drastically reduced in the past couple of years, so much so that lawyers and solicitors are refusing to sign up to the new T & C’s. There’ll be no one doing legal aid at this rate. Legal aid? Sounds like a handout to me.
    Last edited by beeswax; 18th March 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Vikpaw.
    I'm in a position where there are only 2 out of all the support staff (38) who are union members, both of them in UNISON. Funnily enough there are NO union reps at the school, and as far as I am aware there has only been one union visit to the school in the last 5 years!!!!
    I like the idea of putting it out to tender to see what freebies I can get, although I dont think a UNISON hat will be much of a fashion statment!!!
    Union reps in schools (for example) don't get paid to do the job AFAIK. Though they can take extra time off for union training etc. you could always request a visit from your union. If you're quiet, perhaps the union thinks there are no problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    my main reason for not being in a union is the fact that, the money you pay goes to fund the labour party, who have caused all the problems in the first place, what are the unions doing to teach us the causes of the problems??
    you're obviously entitled to your opinions but it's worth remembering that it was Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government which did its best to dismantle IT in education while it was still getting started. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who remembers ILECC (Inner London), AUCBE (Hertfordshire) and other educational computing centres which got training going for IT in schools, developed software and provided support so that schools could start using IT.

That same party then went on to massively change the funding model for schools so that less money was available. There's also the issue of successive education ministers denigrating the whole profession (anyone remember Keith Joseph?).

this is not to suggest in any way that this government hasn't got things wrong (they have!) but they certainly didn't start the rot - they just carried on with what the Conservative party started.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I am in Unison, but I may reconsider as they don't exactly seem to be fighting our corner when it comes to ICT outsourcing.
    This is what I have heard. Is there any real alternative given the sector we work in?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Lets not forget all the other benefits, like cheap car insurance, travel insurance, holidays away, free legal advice for any issue to member and family, free will writing service, banking, private pensions, tax rebate service.
    I'm not sure my union offers all that lot. I'll look into that, and possibly change over...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @beeswax

Here

As far I know you do not need to tell anyone your union member even on a tempory contract

Here we go

http://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_bullyatwork.cfm

# If you are not already in a union – join one. You have every right to do so. You do not have to tell your employers, but if they find out, it is illegal for them to sack you or to cause you detriment. The union will listen to you and ensure you have the best advice. The union can give you free legal advice, support you, put you in touch with support groups and approach the employer on your behalf.
    Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I'm not sure my union offers all that lot. I'll look into that, and possibly change over...
    Likewise... I don't think my union does any offers like that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Do you not receive a monthly/quarterly newsletter from your union. I'm with Unison and I get a newsletter with all those sorts of offers.

Thank Post
    Its probably advisable to be in a union in this working enviroment but as for unions in general I personally don't belive in them. Although my mom works in HR and she's always gonna be my first line of defence during any kind of indutsrial action.

Thank Post

Thumbs down labour good for the tax payer

labour, lightening the load for the tx payer -LOL

come on this government has done nothing for the ordinary working man/women, who they are supposed to represent.

all they have done is:-

destroy manufacturing,
    increase un-necessary red tape in all areas
    turn everyone into a criminal
    make no-one responsible for their own actions
    destroy discipline in schools
    betray everyone who voted them 'in' in the first place
    turn the country into 'land of the do -gooder'

10+ years of destruction of society, and replaced with their 'government' model of administration, which never worked anywhere else.

Democracy is what matters, and this government has done nothing to improve it. Just face it they have LIED about everything, from iraq to campaign policies.

the only thing they have done well is betrayal.

good job i'm simple and dont let it get to me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    :
    come on this government has done nothing for the ordinary working man/women, who they are supposed to represent.
    I don't vote for them, and I'm not a big fan of this labour government but we have *far* more (employment) rights than at any time since 1979. The unions have influenced much of this. eg: two tier workforce code, enhancements to TUPE regulations, minimum wages and equal pay. You may see it as red tape but I don't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Do you not receive a monthly/quarterly newsletter from your union. I'm with Unison and I get a newsletter with all those sorts of offers.
    Yes, although I don't always read it as the articles are rarely relevant to an IT tech (I actually get two, as my wife is in the same union!). I know about the "cheaper" car insurance offers and such like, but am not aware of the will writing, general legal advice and so on. This doesn't mean they're not there, though; I'll check up on it...

Thank Post
    labour, lightening the load for the tx payer -LOL

all they have done is:-

destroy manufacturing,
    increase un-necessary red tape in all areas
    turn everyone into a criminal
    make no-one responsible for their own actions
    destroy discipline in schools
    betray everyone who voted them 'in' in the first place
    turn the country into 'land of the do -gooder'

10+ years of destruction of society, and replaced with their 'government' model of administration, which never worked anywhere else.

Democracy is what matters, and this government has done nothing to improve it. Just face it they have LIED about everything, from iraq to campaign policies.

the only thing they have done well is betrayal.

good job i'm simple and dont let it get to me
    Now I don't think this government have done anything wonderful but most of what you say was broken by the Tories long before Labour took power. Granted they've not done much to fix it......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    let's face it... all the parties are crap and are just gonna do a bad a job as anyone else!

15. Thanks to Joanne from:

farmerste (19th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    let's face it... all the parties are crap and are just gonna do a bad a job as anyone else!
    That is a very sad statement - this is YOUR country and you have a right to be heard. If you really feel that way perhaps you should do something about it - stand up and be counted!!!
    The government of whatever colour will always be able to get away with things if the people just shrug and say 'oh well'. This seems to happen a great deal now and if we don't sort it out we will sleepwalk to disaster

17. 3 Thanks to witch:

farmerste (19th March 2008), jcollings (19th March 2008), leco (19th March 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information