+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teachers moving computers in General; We had SIMS installed during the last summer holiday, all working great, but now the staff have huddled up together ...
    PEO
    Thank Post

Teachers moving computers

We had SIMS installed during the last summer holiday, all working great, but now the staff have huddled up together had a little meeting in the staff room about how they cant see the kids when marking the register. So they've decided to not inform myself, the NM, or the ICT coordinator about the little problem and have take the problem into their own hands and have moved the workstation desks to a 45 degree angel to allow them to mark the register and still see the kids.

Problem now is the back of the machines are exposed and some cables are close to tension point.

I've already made one teacher cry by simply asking why the machine is moved and explaining to her the new problems this is causing.

Has anyone come across this problem?
    Does any one have any suggestions? I did think wireless keyboard and mouse but those will eventually end up been stolen.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Tell the departments that they will fail health and safety, and need to buy longer leads.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We get kids moving stuff here... if a machine is out of action, but they want to sit there they move the stuff!! Does my head in!

E-mail all staff and explain if they would like their computers moving to consult with you guys first then you can buy the required extesion cables.

As for the teacher that cried... must have been a bad day/wrong time of month or something...

Thank Post
    Getting angry with your staff isn't the solution, but nor is them moving stuff themselves. They haven't just moved them for fun, but have a genuine reason to do so - it is down to you to chat to them and discuss what their requirements are, then to purchase the necessary extension/longer cables, cable tidies, etc.

Wireless keyboards/mice are great (theft permitting, of course) but might not solve your specific problem here, as the issue is being caused more by the monitor than anything else.

Thank Post
    we don't have problems with staff moving actual computers. I mean they slide the monitors back and forth to suit them but that is it.

mind you we don't use the attendance part of our SIMS. Actually i am having difficulty deciding what we do use SIMS for....

kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Getting angry with your staff isn't the solution
    I'll go move a member of staffs car into a river then, lets see how calm they remain to be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    I'll go move a member of staffs car into a river then, lets see how calm they remain to be.
    nice...

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Getting angry with your staff isn't the solution, but nor is them moving stuff themselves. They haven't just moved them for fun, but have a genuine reason to do so - it is down to you to chat to them and discuss what their requirements are, then to purchase the necessary extension/longer cables, cable tidies, etc.

Wireless keyboards/mice are great (theft permitting, of course) but might not solve your specific problem here, as the issue is being caused more by the monitor than anything else.
    I never got angry with anyone, I simply asked why? and explained the problems that have been created/follow.

Yep i've thought about longer cables. I will be going round tonight and speaking to the 9 staff that have moved them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Well, unless the school owns the car or you personally bought all your PCs it's not really a great analogy... I know we're all fiercely protective of 'our' PCs that we look after, but at the end of the day they're school property, not the NM or the staffs... Yes, it's annoying when stuff gets moved, but if it got moved for a legitimate reason our job is more to sigh and sort it out than get in a huff and move it back. ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    cpc do the ps/2 extensions for £1.78 (ex. VAT) when 5 or more are ordered...
    monitor extensions are £3.05 each...

bargain!

11. Thanks to Joanne from:

PEO (18th March 2008)

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    cpc do the ps/2 extensions for £1.78 (ex. VAT) when 5 or more are ordered...
    monitor extensions are £3.05 each...

bargain!

the departments will be paying for this so cheaper the better.

OutToLunch

I never get in to a huff just like to keep repaire and cost to a minimum.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    talking of this just stepped out of the room to get my dinner and there was a kid behind a computer I shouted,

"are you qualified to be behind there?!" of course he isn't... he looked rather sheepish when i'd finished. Stupid ******* **** ********** grr

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    talking of this just stepped out of the room to get my dinner and there was a kid behind a computer I shouted,

"are you qualified to be behind there?!" of course he isn't... he looked rather sheepish when i'd finished. Stupid ******* **** ********** grr
    you should have plugged him into a socket and powered him up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    wouldn'd mind doing... hmm that computer isn't working... I'll just move all the stuff from the one next to it then i can sit next to my mate.

pathetic.

Thank Post
    Do you not have a exceptable use policy at your school?
    maybe you could put in there you break it you pay for it lol

as for pupils unpluggin the computers its a common problem and unless your planning to completely box in your computers which is a major pain in the anal reigon.
    i had a pupils nick a power lead today god knows why the pupils wanted a kettle lead if they had asked i have a whole bucket full of them, they could have one for free lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast