+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Anyone here on a Smartcard Gas meter? in General; ...
    Thank Post

Anyone here on a Smartcard Gas meter?

We charged ours up to £10.75 on Friday night...sunday afternoon, it had £5.72 on it...I'm just looking for opinions on the "normality" of this cost.

To me, it seems extortionate..We have an A rated condensing boiler (2 years old), on a roomstat at 18 degrees. Water temp on tankstat is set at 45 degrees.

Programmed to cut in at 6am to 8am, 12pm-1pm, and 5pm to 10pm. Off any other time.

British Gas say "Viable cost". I'm floored..it's working out cheaper to run a fan heater when needed, immersion tank heater for an hour and oil filled radiator all night long to heat the place than the gas to do it all on timer...

Anyone got any insight? It feels like I'm being taken for a ride without lube here...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Card meters are very expensive, no way you can get it changed to a normal meter?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gas leak?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Gas leak?
    nope, no leaks..checked by Transco and the gas engineer..

As to getting the meter changed..yes, in theory we could..but I'd rather watch the "you've spent "X" display" instead of getting a nasty bill...

I know it's higher on a prepay, but..that much? I think not...

My electric is Prepay too, and it's bang on my figures..roughly £1/day..same as it was at my flat on a credit meter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i prefer the normal meters and then pay by direct debit monthly... sounds extremely extoritionate to me...

However, it is a bit more efficient to just leave your heating on all day and keep the rads tepid... saves heating up the whole system every time.

Thats what I do... seems to work fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I remeber at one point where we live it was on the *bill* meter and we were getting charged about £40 ish.

Moved house and ended up with Card meters and it we were putting in near enough £200 worth or Electric and Gas (both britich gas)

So we actually moved out of there as they would not change the meters.

Back into another house using exactly the same stuff on near enough same times as the card meter house.. and we got the bill last month and it was £22 Gas and £40 pound Electric thats was for one month I think would have to ask my mom :P

James

Thank Post
    We had no gas in the old place..electric was again Npower, credit meter jobbie with Eco7.

I had a fight with them as well..we had 2 astronomical bills for a 1 bed flat, and I bought a plug in meter that proved they were WAY off..I've never heard a company back-pedal as fast..

The prepay meter for electric is fine for me...it's bang on my estimate, about the same as the credit meter..I have no qualms with it at all...I sat and watched it go through the "new tenant reset", and i'm quite happy with it.

The gas meter is an idiot device though...we got our new gas card, I followed the "slap it in the meter for a minute, then charge it with cash, slap it back in, job done" procedure that should have done the reset, and what did the damnfool box say? "3.43 taken for debt".

Off a new card, from a new account? It can sod off, and BG got told as much.

I'm SURE the damn thing is not setup right...BG deny all knowledge. I want an engineer out to check it..Transco say we should insist..BG say "not required".

Missus is contacting the landlord though...I'd rather switch supplier first and see if they can make the thing run nicely..EDF get my vote. If the meter is still being stupid and the landlord agrees, then I will look into changing it out.

Thank Post
    What's your standing charge? My electrics debits that on a Sunday, so that might be where the drop is from.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread