+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Anyone got any good materials/CDT contacts? in General; The reason for this question is that I have a thorny problem that requires proper access to materials but I ...
    Thank Post

Anyone got any good materials/CDT contacts?

The reason for this question is that I have a thorny problem that requires proper access to materials but I have narry a clue as to where to get what I need. Does anyone have a decent Design tech lab/workshop and a member of staff that could help me identify the materials I need and more importantly where to source them?

To paraphrase I'm trying to find a mild steel that can be fashioned into a clip/holder for a container.

Thickness is about .5mm and width of between 1.5 and 3cm.. length is minimum of 20cm.

I've attached a couple of images of something similar to help but obviously it's already been manipulated and cut to a specific shape. I'm looking to do something similar.

Attempts to find what I need in B&Q, etc... are proving fruitless so I figured someone on here might have some contacts in the teaching staff or through technicians.

Any help very welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got any good materials/CDT contacts?-img_0193.jpg   Anyone got any good materials/CDT contacts?-img_0194.jpg  

Thank Post
    Your probably best off looking for a steel merchant and buying a big sheet of the stuff in, might cost a bit though.

Have you thought about using old PC cases? Or are they too thick?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    Your probably best off looking for a steel merchant and buying a big sheet of the stuff in, might cost a bit though.

Have you thought about using old PC cases? Or are they too thick?
    Well being near Sheffield that shouldn't be a problem... The key thing is knowing what the actual material is and making sure I get the right stuff.

Beyond that I don't have a workshop that can handle big sheets of stuff so if I can find it pre-cut into strips I'm laughing... As with all things it's the information that's key and I'm awash with ignorance at the mo'.

Thank Post
    Mild steel will need painting. Stainless might be better. What exactly do you need this to do, strength, weight price considerations? How many?

We have a great metal salvage yard near us. You pop along and they will get you what you want. Its where I get my lead for bullet casting.

I would recommend you do the same or pop along to your nearest tip. B&Q normally keep metal stock, ours does.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Mild steel will need painting. Stainless might be better. What exactly do you need this to do, strength, weight price considerations? How many?
    The idea is to hold a plastic container out from a printer and hold between 0.75 and 1.5kg of weight... More likely to be the mid-range though of about 1kg. It'll also be supported from below with a fitting that supports the main weight so in reality it won't be supporting all that weight itself.

I've done a rough diagram showing the clip in red and the support in light blue to indicate the general design and to give you a rough idea of the plan.

We have a great metal salvage yard near us. You pop along and they will get you what you want. Its where I get my lead for bullet casting.

I would recommend you do the same or pop along to your nearest tip. B&Q normally keep metal stock, ours does.
    I've been to B&Q in the past to look at what they do have but unfortunately they only have metal stock that's 2mm in thickness and up which is too thick for my requirements.. I need something that's a lot easier to bend and preferably something that doesn't need to be cut length ways (so in strips rather than sheets).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got any good materials/CDT contacts?-diagram.pdf  
    Last edited by contink; 17th March 2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: because I'm a numpty and forgot the attachment :P

PEO
    Thank Post
    Just had a chat with our head of DT, he said place a post on this websites forum and you will get some good responses stockton technology
    Last edited by PEO; 17th March 2008 at 02:17 PM.

7. Thanks to PEO from:

contink (17th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Just had a chat with our head of DT, he said place a post on this websites forum and you will get some good responses http://www.stocktontechnology.co.uk/
    Done... and many thanks (to you and your DT head)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread