+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Chip activated cat flap in General; Thought I'd share this one as we've had a month or more now with a local cat sneaking in and ...
    Thank Post

Chip activated cat flap

Thought I'd share this one as we've had a month or more now with a local cat sneaking in and helping himself to food and bullying our two cats...

We've had a magnetic staywell cat in the past but frankly it was a complete waste of time with our cats losing their magnets or dragging back all manner of metal stuff.

Anyways, found this today and decided to bite the bullet.
    http://www.petporte.com/index.htm

It keys off the microchip and you have to wonder how the heck the main flap manufacturers missed this little opportunity for so long..

I'll feedback on how well it works out after a couple of months...

Thank Post
    A high tech solution.

Here's the low-tech solution.

3. Thanks to eean from:

Rawns (10th February 2012)

Thank Post
    I was looking at one of these because we have a persistent cat that is coming in through the catflap and helping itself to all the grub.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience of it - how is your cat finding it? It looks like it might be a bit tricky going out one way because the chip reader is further away

I'll probably wait til the warmer weather to get one because I'll have to make a bigger hole in the wall for it :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Thought I'd share this one as we've had a month or more now with a local cat sneaking in and helping himself to food and bullying our two cats...

We've had a magnetic staywell cat in the past but frankly it was a complete waste of time with our cats losing their magnets or dragging back all manner of metal stuff.

Anyways, found this today and decided to bite the bullet.
    http://www.petporte.com/index.htm

It keys off the microchip and you have to wonder how the heck the main flap manufacturers missed this little opportunity for so long..

I'll feedback on how well it works out after a couple of months...
    I've got one and it works very well! I got fed up of my part feral cat losing or breaking the staywell infrared ones, it worked out expensive at £10 a go to replace them weekly so I decided to buy the petporte.

A word of advice, make sure you seal any gaps or after a while the moisture can set it randomly off! Also, it is a slightly different size to the staywell ones so it isn't a straight swop unfortunately

6. Thanks to joe90bass from:

contink (16th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    I'dbe interested in hearing your experience of it - how is your cat finding it? It looks like it might be a bit tricky going out one way because the chip reader is further away
    My cats had no problem with it as they were already used to a catflap. Going out is fine as it doesn't use the reader, it's only used to allow them in. It has a handy night mode where you can stop them going out in the dark (no chance my one cat would trash it to get out!) or a vet mode where you can stop them going out at any time. Programming is a piece of cake, though it's useful to have the cat(s) to hand so you can scan them!

Thank Post
    At our old house we used to come home to find this:

Ps this is not one of our cats!!!!!!!!

As for bringing stuff home on their magnet, one of mine once came home with a spent shotgun cartridge round his neck

Thank Post
    Reckon they do one to fit a 21 year old woman? (Mostly interested in the night mode).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @kmount

A family friend has the same one, the purchased it after they had problems with a fox letting himself in. They havenít had any problems with it.

Thank Post
    I think a giloutine (sp) should be used for unauthorised access

Thank Post
    What is the distance from the sensor on the outside? A friend of mine has one of the magnetic ones, and if the cat comes running in above a certain speed, it doesn't always open in time which isn't ideal (although is quite funny! )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    What is the distance from the sensor on the outside? A friend of mine has one of the magnetic ones, and if the cat comes running in above a certain speed, it doesn't always open in time which isn't ideal (although is quite funny! )
    Yeah that's going to be the first thing our two learn ... I think it has a range of about 15 to 18 cm's but that's downwards so a running cat is going to do a "bird strike" style abrupt stop when they approach at speed.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    We had the infrared staywell one, but it never worked really well. (Had 5 cats and 1 dog over 10 years - don't ask)

The best was the catmate large magnetic cat flap but it was important to follow the instructions on what height to put it in at - worked for our dog and bigger cat but not the little cat. In the end he just used to pull it open - at least the other cats in the area didn't learn that trick!

That was installed after the bigger cat, which was a stray, adopted us actually !

Thank Post
    Well our brand spanking new catflap arrived today and after much swearing and sweating it's now installed... Have to say I rather like it but much hilarity has ensued in the first few hours.

1. Both cats disappeared before I could scan them through as "friend" so the thing would let them in so I had to "borrow" next doors cat to test the thing

2. Oscar, our Ginger tom, decides he doesn't like the new porch which holds the detection kit so he tries to open the flap from the side which surprisingly doesn't work...

We've got the thing currently on "open house" till they get used to it but all in all I'm hoping this puts an end to our late night dinner guests... :P

17. 2 Thanks to contink:

kmount (1st April 2008), Oops_my_bad (7th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so I had to "borrow" next doors cat

as you do.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast