+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Does anyone have any student relatives in their school? in General; and if so...do you enforce the law with them? My sister in law (almost) is now in year 11..and she's ...
    Thank Post

Does anyone have any student relatives in their school?

and if so...do you enforce the law with them?

My sister in law (almost) is now in year 11..and she's idle, manipulative and just out and out lazy sometimes, unless she likes her lessons..

She had a bit of an e-mail abuse session yesterday that ended up in her printing out a snippet guaranteed to enrage her mother and make her look like an innocent victim, while painting a lad she knows her mother has a historical dislike of as the bad one.

This led to me being shouted at over the phone at work, a threat of "going to the media to show how badly the school looks after students etc.., which led me to point out a few home truths about said sprog...I offered to show mother-in-law the video of her daughter doing nothing for an hour except pillocking about, and I offered her access to sprogs webmail account to prove the point..

That deflated her a bit..

I then went home in a foul mood and explained to the missus why. She said "In the car..", went down to her mums and tore sprog apart in the kitchen..after which I made it clear I'll be asking her teachers about behaviour, I'll be splitting her from the other student in IT lessons, I'll be looking over her shoulder all day long, and if I find something out of place, I'll make her life a living hell as only I can..and e-mail? Not a snowflakes chance in hell..

I've demo'd PolicyCentral's screen monitoring, word pickup system, the web filter and reports system, and said "you can't escape, so don't even try it..".

I've never seen her so well behaved as she was when she went back in..

Bloody children..if her brothers couldn't beat me, she has no chance..

Thank Post
    Nope, but had a few embarassing ones. Was seeing a lass for quite a while and next thing I know her younger cousins started at school and keeps pointing me out to her mates and asking innapropriate questions. Also went home with a another girl after a night out to find the babysitter was one of the students, wasn't the most pleasant next day at work, hid in my office all day.

Thank Post
    Hah, yes. Been there. I don't drink, but had some ill-advised wine the christmas before last...last thing I recall is feeling really rather ill...it seems I was dancing on the kitchen table..and that's one of the less embarrasing bits..

Needless to say, that got round. Sigh.

Also, when the new head started, I came in one morning and and all 3 of them ended up giving me a giant group hug, right in front of him/SLT.. That raised an eyebrow until we explained..:-)

I don't mind who knows, TBH..the head has even met my missus..and he rather likes her direct approach to things...she doesn't mince her words..ex-student too.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iatkinson View Post
    Also went home with a another girl after a night out to find the babysitter was one of the students, wasn't the most pleasant next day at work, hid in my office all day.
    big LOL

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    This led to me being shouted at over the phone at work, a threat of "going to the media to show how badly the school looks after students etc..
    WTF this is your future mother-in-law speaking to you like that?? Not that it would happen, but if they spoke to me like that i would be tetaring her a new one!!

6. Thanks to mark80 from:

robk (13th March 2008)

Thank Post
    She does get a little annoyed sometimes...she was threatening the school in general, but that's me by proxy...

The Dept is NOT to blame if sprog is being stupid...sprog turned 16 a few weeks back..she should know better...and it's about time MIL got told as much.

I said- "if she's getting bullied, we have anonymous intranet bullying reporting, we have tutors, we have..me..no reports ever been made. In fact, sprog and idiot boy are the best of mates to all appearances and purposes..there's nothing TO deal with except in your head.."

We take our kids safety very seriously..she knows that.

Thank Post
    A little annoyed?! Sadly it's often easiest to take a shortcut than to go through the proper channels.

My brother is year 8 but I'm quite lucky; he gets his head down and gets on with it, and the pointing and questions disappeared pretty quickly. He gets a bit irate when I bypass him in the lunch queue though

Thank Post
    Some kids that i have know since they were babys are at the school - their mum and mine are best friends. What was worst was when i went to the oldest's 18th at there house, walked in the front door and it was full of year 10's and 9's!! I got very drunk as you do and Monday back at school was a tad embarrasing seeing as i was doing singstar on the PS2 and i cant sing for $hit!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't know anyone here (thank god).

Best thing about working in a different town!

Thank Post
    Hehehe my sister has it bad, she's in yr8 at the local comp where i used to go and one of the teachers is now my partner and we regularly go out with a bunch of other teachers. Needless to say if my sister does anything wrong i get to know about it pretty sharpish and give her the 3rd degree, but as kids always do i immediately get the "i haven't done anything / don't know what you're talking about" speech

hehe when will she learn?

Thank Post
    I have cousins in yrs 7/8, I let the teachers get on with teaching/diciplining them (but the threat of phoning my auntie/uncle usually makes them co-operate )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    When I started in one of my schools, there were many many children who knew me as somebody's mother - they have moved through the school now so that is OK
    But I wasn't allowed to apply to the local comp as an IT tech as all three of my children were there at the time!

Thank Post
    I have no relatives here, yet!

Thank Post
    When I was employed on the dark side (a teacher) I actually taught three of my own kids, much to their horror. When I switched to my present role I instigated a rule that any kid found on inappropriate sites would have their network access blocked until their parents had been in to see me and the headteacher.

Guess who was the the first kid caught on a bittorrent site??!!!

My eldest!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Guess who was the the first kid caught on a bittorrent site??!!!

My eldest!!
    ROFLMAO... Thus setting an all time record for the parent to be informed after an infraction was found

For myself, one of my schools has had all the sisters and foster kids of my ex. Luckily I'm still on excellent terms with the ex's family (sadly not the ex). They behave excellently though and the biggest problem is the spontaneous hugs I get from the youngest which luckily she's learned to restrict to out of class moments. Certainly brightens a tough day...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast