+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Mobile phones in schools in General; In the end it will be possible to have a 1mm camera video your entire day and stream it to ...

Thank Post
    In the end it will be possible to have a 1mm camera video your entire day and stream it to youtube, it won't be possible to stop it, so why bother? The only reason people care that they were filmed and published is it's unusual, once there's video of every single person on the planet doing something stupid noone will care.

And banning mobile phones for exams just shows how out of date the concept of exams are.

People uploading videos of themselves/others breaking the law/AUP means it's easy to track them down and punish them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    ...And banning mobile phones for exams just shows how out of date the concept of exams are....
    How do you arrive at this conclusion? I can't see anything wrong with the concept of being able to benchmark candidates against a given standard, and the phone ban is to ensure that the test is fair and not interrupted.

Thank Post
    Suppose you're on a field trip with some pupils, they're gathering evidence, and they see something which they could use to illustrate their work. I would recommend they use their mobile phones, if they have them, to take a photograph. Our Head of ICT is coming round to the view that mobile phones could be useful tools.
    The attached photo was taken last Easter near the Lake District on a Motorola Razr. I used the sepia tint Action in Photoshop to add some "age".
    Last edited by beeswax; 11th June 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the difference between 1:1 computers, email and all for students and mobile phones for students is that we have control of computer systems.

The internet, email, computers etc can all be locked down, Mobile phones cannot.

All it takes is a few to find out some kind of mischief they can cause and they'll all find out about it.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest it, as its outside of school control - just as i generally don't allow students laptops on the network, I won't allow bluetooth on machines, and i don't allow access to social networking sites (after all, they're a powerful tool if used right too)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    How do you arrive at this conclusion? I can't see anything wrong with the concept of being able to benchmark candidates against a given standard, and the phone ban is to ensure that the test is fair and not interrupted.
    It's a completely unrealistic test for life, when are they ever going to need to know a set of facts without access to everyone else and the internet? Much better to test reasoning, ability to find information, critical analysis of information etc.

Thank Post
    It's a completely unrealistic test for life, when are they ever going to need to know a set of facts without access to everyone else and the internet? Much better to test reasoning, ability to find information, critical analysis of information etc.
    Maybe we should make exam tests more like 'who wants to be a Millionaire' gameshow to prepare pupils for their future. Then you could have lifeline's that depend on the mobile phone. Like 'phone a classmate' or 'ask the internet'

I'll take a 50/50 on the answer to that question :P

Thank Post
    There's a current plan here to give year 7s a mobile that's capable of browsing our VLE... That's going to be fun! I dont have all the information but I do believe that the phone provider has been working very closely with the school, So possibly there'll be some stuff locked down/limited- Not a clue though.

Thank Post
    I always thought that part of it was having and using the skill set each subject uses. Also some subjects would need these facts to hand and ready. If not completely necesary then desirable as it speeds up the job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas View Post
    There's a current plan here to give year 7s a mobile that's capable of browsing our VLE... That's going to be fun! I dont have all the information but I do believe that the phone provider has been working very closely with the school, So possibly there'll be some stuff locked down/limited- Not a clue though.
    Hi Richard

Did this ever happen?

I have an MFL teacher here who has recently been to a conference which "sold" the idea of the use of a mobile phone in a lesson recording voice / sound clips. I must admit I have thought about this long and hard and don't see the great appeal / benefit. I will post my thoughts here probably tommorrow on the negatives.

Feel free to join in on the debate.

Thank Post
    think we have reached a stage in education where pupils expect to be entertained for the whole of every lesson. If it gets slightly heavy it's "boring" and they turn off. They do not realise that life often can be boring and you have to get stuck in regardless. When things go wrong the ICT Technician won't always be there to put it right. Plus, many teachers see ICT as a soft option to putting together a proper lesson plan.

"OK, we'll go into the ICT suite and research xyz and then you can print all of the pretty pictures you have downloaded from Google images in glorious colour. What's that? You pressed print 10 times, never mind you'll have lots of spare copies to practice your origami aeronautics"!

Let's try and step away from technology a bit and try some old fashioned teaching. Good manners might be a place to start.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 17th October 2008 at 07:06 PM.

11. Thanks to laserblazer from:

daveyboy (18th October 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12