+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Redundancies - ouch in General; Was going to put this in FFS but then considering it doesn't affect me directly I thought otherwise. Had our ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Redundancies - ouch

Was going to put this in FFS but then considering it doesn't affect me directly I thought otherwise.
    Had our second INSET today (BSF one was friday) and at the end, it was announced there would be 18 redundancies; 8.5 teaching staff and 9 support staff (yes i know thats 17.5 not 18).
    One ICT teacher post is to go, apart from that we aren't affected as a department. It does say 1 'other' support staff (not site management or anything) but as our contracts will be TUPE'd over to the BSF ICT team I doubt we will be included as we will be off the school budget when that happens.
    It's amazing, we have nearly half a million pound deficit to make up, pupil numbers are falling alarmingly, and yet BSF rumbles on.

I hope to god that I hear from some of these jobs I've applied for, as come April when they announce the actual people going, morale is going to dive faster than Cristiano Ronaldo wearing banana slippers on ice!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, our pupil numbers are a bit odd for the next couple of years. Next year's intake will be a bumper year - with a full class extra! So we're having to create a new class in year 5.

But then the year after, the numbers are going to plummet again.

How are schools supposed to maintain staffing levels with such fluctuations?

But 17.5 is a lot! That'd be a third of our teaching staff and a sixth of our support staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well for us, our GCSE reults were 7% A-C (inc english and science). That puts us (according to BBC league) 8th worst school in the entire country. When you consider around us, we have schools getting 30%, and have a new academy opening up soon, would you send your kid to a failing school or one where they have a fighting chance?
    That's why our numbers are dropping, and I don't seem them coming back up.

17.5 is a lot, especially when 3 years ago we had about 3 or 4 redundancies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Well for us, our GCSE reults were 7% A-C (inc english and science). That puts us (according to BBC league) 8th worst school in the entire country. When you consider around us, we have schools getting 30%, and have a new academy opening up soon, would you send your kid to a failing school or one where they have a fighting chance?
    That's why our numbers are dropping, and I don't seem them coming back up.

17.5 is a lot, especially when 3 years ago we had about 3 or 4 redundancies.
    If the Government were consistent, your school would be a prime target for becoming an Academy, with £22m+ investment to raise standards and attract the very best teachers and so encourage parents to send their kids there.... however these days they appear to be happy to allow the LA to 'select' which ever schools they like for Academies, depending upon which councillor lobbys hardest for them to be built in their ward/not built in their wards according to their views on Academies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    If the Government were consistent, your school would be a prime target for becoming an Academy, with £22m+ investment to raise standards and attract the very best teachers and so encourage parents to send their kids there.... however these days they appear to be happy to allow the LA to 'select' which ever schools they like for Academies, depending upon which councillor lobbys hardest for them to be built in their ward/not built in their wards according to their views on Academies.
    only problem is, a school less than 2 mins away is currently becoming an academy. we were a fresh start school in 2001, so we've had our fair share of millions pumped in. i think first year was £12m, then second year about £6m. its all been wasted though (carpeting one summer term then next summer term ripping it up and redoing it. setting one room up as an IT suite, demolishing it then following year its an IT suite again, etc)

Yes this place is in debt, but they saw this coming and done nothing to stop it, but rather waited until it was at this point and made massive staff cuts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread