+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Skin problems in General; Does anyone else get really horrible dry skin because of dust? I had february half term off work and my ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Skin problems

Does anyone else get really horrible dry skin because of dust?

I had february half term off work and my skin was ok. As soon as I have come back its all falling off again. It itches like hell and I have to stop myself from scarring my face!!

I'm assuming it is a mixture of dusty/dirty school and air con....

am I right?

Thank Post
    I only get my hands falling to pieces from this - but it does definitely seem to cause problems, I guess it depends on how hands on you are (no pun intended). Doesn't help that our school has it's own water supply which seems to dry them up even more if you wash your hands too often to get rid of the dust... Catch 22. At the moment I have a giant bottle of Wilko's Dry Skin lotion on my desk which I end up putting on every hour or two during the day. Not sure you'd want to do that with your face though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah i wear eye makeup, so that'd smudge everywhere if I was to slather cream on all the time!!

Would locating to a room without air con help at all do you think?

Thank Post
    try changing the air once in awhile, open the door up.

Thank Post
    Oh yes. I find that I only get it it I'm in contact with the suspended ceiling tiles...they really set me off. No idea why...I just keep a 100box of Latex gloves in the drawer (much to the amusement of my colleagues and the fright of the NM when I do the whole doctor "stretch, snap, "BEND OVER BOY, It's party time.." gag..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've always had dry skin problems (inherited) but doesn't seem to be adversely affected by anything at work. Just keep a tub of E45 cream for when it's required.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to get dried out skin at work - I'm thinking now it had something to do with travelling by car too - the blower in your face. Of course washing the skins natural oils off with regular washing can't help either. Easily remedied - just never wash

Thank Post
    Try drinking plenty of water/fluids - about 2 litres a day.Not too fast though else you just wee it straight out

Thank Post
    Yeah I get dry skin, usually around my finger joints - not pleasent!

I just keep some E45 cream nearby and apply it through the day, it's slowly bringing mine under control.

My guess is it's to do with the dry environment I work in, what with sitting less than 1m away from the servers and all.

Thank Post
    I have had this problem as well, i get dry skin on my hands, face and legs its a right pain in the a$$$, i have put this problem down to being in a room all day long with the air con on constantly.

I have E45 which is always amusement to some students when they see it.

Out of curiousity is being in room with air con bad for my health in any way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper View Post
    I have had this problem as well, i get dry skin on my hands, face and legs its a right pain in the a$$$, i have put this problem down to being in a room all day long with the air con on constantly.

I have E45 which is always amusement to some students when they see it.

Out of curiousity is being in room with air con bad for my health in any way.
    not sure if there's any scientific evidence, but in my experience exposure to aircon does cause me mild discomfort, runny nose, sneezing etc. that's probably because i'm allergic to most things, particularly dust. My advice is to make sure you're ac unit is service regularly and that the filters are cleaned on a regular basis.........you can clean the filter yourself, with a vacuum cleaner, to get rid of the gunk that accumilates if you're school does't have a maintenance contract with an a/c firm.

@joanne - this is definitely something you shouldn't have to put with, there's all sorts of legislation surrounding hazardous working environments and no doubt the h&s at work act would probly come to you're aid in order to get the school to do something about you're conditions. Adequate lighting, RSI, hours spent in front of a computer screen, exposure to noise (servers), exposure to dust if you've got an allergy, are all things the school by law have to ensure you as an employee are not exposed to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we got the noise problem dealt with... all the servers got shipped out to another room. Just got a big switch cabinet in here now.

Might speak to someone about it though, opening the window makes the air nice and fresh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread