+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Youtube as teaching resource? in General; Just wanted to throw this out there to get your thoughts on a couple of things. First is straight forward ...

Thank Post

Youtube as teaching resource?

Just wanted to throw this out there to get your thoughts on a couple of things.

First is straight forward i think, kids are making short movies and using popular tracks they have on mp3 as the soundtrack, surely this is breaking copyright and i should say something.

Second is a much deeper issue that we are having, and sure other schools are too. Our teachers are obsessed with youtube as the best teaching resource since well ever, personally i feel it's lazy teaching, as does the head of ICT.

Both the head of ICT and head of pastoral care wants a sheet to go to all staff advising that youtube is an unsuitable resource for anyone under the 6th form.

What are your views?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blocked across the board here as it was being misused by the kids (happy slapping, drunk neds kicking the living sh*t out of each other, that kinda thing). Does lead to the problem of "i need a video of x for my class", but there's other places that these things can be found (BBC, CNN, etc)

With regard to MP3 soundtracks, educational use such as this is very defensible as it's not being used for commercial gain and is to support learning. It's probably still illegal due to the UK's ye olde copyright laws, but i doubt anyone would be too bothered about pursuing a lawsuit.

Thank Post

4. 2 Thanks to ChrisH:

dancingdruid (29th February 2008), Ryan (28th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. Email on its way to Ed staff

Thank Post
    You tube is blocked for our teachers.

If they want to use a video from you tube, they bring me the URl and I doenload the video for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Just wanted to throw this out there to get your thoughts on a couple of things.

First is straight forward i think, kids are making short movies and using popular tracks they have on mp3 as the soundtrack, surely this is breaking copyright and i should say something.

Second is a much deeper issue that we are having, and sure other schools are too. Our teachers are obsessed with youtube as the best teaching resource since well ever, personally i feel it's lazy teaching, as does the head of ICT.

Both the head of ICT and head of pastoral care wants a sheet to go to all staff advising that youtube is an unsuitable resource for anyone under the 6th form.

What are your views?

No disrespect Dave, if you are the network Manager/Techy who are you to judge the way in which a teacher finds there resources " i feel it's lazy teaching" If your not a teacher then how can you say this.

I agree youtube is questionable But I think is is a resource like anyother I don't think you can say its lazy.

Thank Post
    You can't paint the whole of Youtube with one brush and say it is or isn't educational - some videos on there are 100% educational, some offering things which aren't possible in a regular classroom environment, other videos are um.. let's say 'not educational'.

Some examples - our PE teacher wants to help the students correct their styles, postures, etc. She is doing this by filming the girls doing an event and then showing them that alongside film of a pro athlete doing the same thing, then comparing/contrasting the two films.

Our Chemistry teacher has even been known to use a clip from Brainiac where they dropped caesium into water - apparently, we're not allowed to do that in school?! :-)

Yes, Youtube etc could be used by lazy teachers, but that is surely a question of poor teaching styles not poor resources? A good could get lazy and have kids copy out of books too, but that doesn't make each and every text book a Bad Thing.

(You are right to have concerns about the legality of music clips in the videos, though)

Thank Post
    Just FYI... SchoolGuardian (which I know Dave uses...) fp1 will include a "top youtube vids" report, such that you can soon see if a "happy slap" makes the charts!

Hopefully we'll move this on for even more youtube specific filtering - it's already possible to block people from accessing the "adult" content on youtube using cookies, but would you guys find youtube specific filters useful?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    With regard to MP3 soundtracks, educational use such as this is very defensible as it's not being used for commercial gain and is to support learning.
    I thought YouTube/Google had signed a revenue-sharing agreement with the Big Four record companies?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    our science teachers use it to show experiments. We've also set up webcams in science labs so the kids can watch the experiment on the screen instead of crowding round the teacher!

I think you tube is a good teaching resource and shouldn't be blocked!

12. 2 Thanks to Joanne:

beeswax (29th February 2008), enjay (28th February 2008)

Thank Post
    I like the webcam idea, thanks Joanne...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    no problem. was a science teachers idea to begin with. Was a pain to install the software though :-S

Thank Post
    You know, now I think about this, I remember one of our Science teachers doing something similar using a digital microscope and Smart video player - this also allowed them to label the image, which was quite cool.

As a slightly more rough-and-ready approach, you could you just hook straight up to the composite video input on the projector - that would lose the screen capture and annotation functions, of course.

Thank Post
    It's blocked at our LEA and I'm not altogether upset about that - I think most schools would block it for kids.

If a member of staff needs a video off it that day, I can point them at:

www.videoconvertx.com

which isn't blocked. Then all they need to do is find the youtube URL by googling (with "site:youtube.com"), plop it in and PRESTO! a portable youtube clip in a more friendly file format.

17. Thanks to sahmeepee from:

enjay (29th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Salford have unblocked YouTube saying its a teaching resource
    Not so sure....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast