+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Youtube as teaching resource? in General; Cool site, sahmeepee - I had some issue getting the files as .avi though, they came out as audio-only, have ...
    Thank Post
    Cool site, sahmeepee - I had some issue getting the files as .avi though, they came out as audio-only, have you seen that too? .mov worked okay though.

Thank Post
    Argh...
    Adult site blocked. www.videoconvertx.com is not allowed on this network. Please Contact the ICT Services Helpdesk for further information.
    This site was categorized as: proxy/anonymizer. Questions? Not properly categorized?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    It's blocked at our LEA and I'm not altogether upset about that - I think most schools would block it for kids.

If a member of staff needs a video off it that day, I can point them at:

www.videoconvertx.com

which isn't blocked. Then all they need to do is find the youtube URL by googling (with "site:youtube.com"), plop it in and PRESTO! a portable youtube clip in a more friendly file format.
    I just get told I haven't entered my email address when I have. I think I have tried these before adn found they didn't work if the target address was filtered. Doesn't seem to work the same as a proxy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    It's blocked at our LEA and I'm not altogether upset about that - I think most schools would block it for kids.

If a member of staff needs a video off it that day, I can point them at:

www.videoconvertx.com

which isn't blocked. Then all they need to do is find the youtube URL by googling (with "site:youtube.com"), plop it in and PRESTO! a portable youtube clip in a more friendly file format.
    The problem with this is that the teachers needs to know the name of a good clip.. as we know there is a lot of rubbish on youtube..

We blocked Youtube and there was nearly a riot..... by the teachers :-) LOL so we unblocked it again and only blocked it for the kids... but they use frontpage to bypass Ranger Title Block.. LOL

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post

Our Chemistry teacher has even been known to use a clip from Brainiac where they dropped caesium into water - apparently, we're not allowed to do that in school?! :-)
    I started my career as a chemistry teacher. One of the things I taught was about the relative reactivity of metals like caesium, sodium etc with water and acids. One of the (very bright!) kids in the A Level group wanted to know what happened when you put sodium in an acid. I didn't know so we decided to find out. We set up all the safety screens etc and played (sorry, experimented!). The answer is that nothing much happens when you put sodium in hydrochloric acid; 0.1M strength basically behaves like water (not really surprising - you can drink it pretty safely!) By the time you get to 2M strength it fizzes a bit more but it's still not as explosive as we expected!

Thank Post
    If youtube was unblocked here it'dd be loads of bandwidth up the shoot as soon as kids realise. Not to mention i'll be watching every episode of Charlie Brookers Screenwipe back to back, and god knows what the rest of the staff would be doing, it'dd be the most non-productive unblock ever

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Cool site, sahmeepee - I had some issue getting the files as .avi though, they came out as audio-only, have you seen that too? .mov worked okay though.
    They worked OK for me I think. Possibly you could try a different xvid/divx codec on your PC as I assume that's what they put out. We use the Koepi.org one.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I just get told I haven't entered my email address when I have. I think I have tried these before adn found they didn't work if the target address was filtered. Doesn't seem to work the same as a proxy.
    I didn't have that problem.. this isn't like those other sites in that you don't need to make any connection to youtube at all. I didn't even give it a proper email address - I just gave it a mailinator one and picked it up a few minutes later.

Thank Post
    The SLT decided that it should be blocked here i think most were of the opinion that it was just lazy teachers not researching their lessons and using it last min. Same as when the internet goes down and they don't have an alternative or backup lesson plan LAZY.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The SLT decided that it should be blocked here i think most were of the opinion that it was just lazy teachers not researching their lessons and using it last min. Same as when the internet goes down and they don't have an alternative or backup lesson plan LAZY.
    Agree its lazy teaching, the clips are usually low quality and it takes up too much bandwidth.

Thank Post
    Hi,

SWGfL here and youtube.com blocked but even if i unblock a single page for viewing I don't get the video to play - if you right click where the film should be it just says video not loaded...

http://www.teachertube.com/ however worked first time.

Is there something other than the youtube url that i'd need to unblock to get it to play?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have it unblocked here now, as there were too many requests to block and unblock it (3 times a day it was happening). So now, if a teacher wants it blocked, they can use AB Tutor control to block it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's blocked here, but if we contact the LEA, they have a video scraping service that lets teachers request a video they found at home and request for it to be taken off the site and put into a downloads area. Works very well, giving you your cake for just 24 hours notice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    It's blocked here, but if we contact the LEA, they have a video scraping service that lets teachers request a video they found at home and request for it to be taken off the site and put into a downloads area. Works very well, giving you your cake for just 24 hours notice.
    The trouble is that rains all over the Ts&Cs on Youtube which state that you will only watch stuff through the site or an embedded player. But like you say, it works :-)

Thank Post
    We use a similar system and find it works well

Thank Post

Yuo Tube

Blocked here because of questionable content
    We told teachers to get youtube downlosder st home, d/l vids snd bring in on flash pen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12