+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Pupil Discipline in General; It appears to me as an outsider, that you must all remember that these difficult pupils only spend five hours ...

Thank Post
    It appears to me as an outsider, that you must all remember that these difficult pupils only spend five hours of their day in your structured educational environment.
    I remember a friend of mine having the board rubber thrown at him, and being held against the wall with his feet off the floor by his hair for being cheeky, but his 19 hours a day outside of the educational environment still influenced him to end up in prison at a later date.
    Dont give up, dont dispair, education is a wonderful and inspiring thing, but some problems are the problems of larger society, and cannot be fixed in five hours a day.

Thank Post
    Indeed. Which is why I try to find out the kids hobbies and try to encourage that, and why I think it's both hilarious and good that some of our kids are currently pasting the head of IT's arse to the wall out of school on XBOX Live..heh.

Quite a few of our "challenging" or "less academic" kids are actually very active outside school with "less usual" activities. You'd expect them to be in and out of trouble based on their behaviour, but..no. One is rebuilding a mini with a Vauxhall XE engine..we can sit and have some good discussion about that. Another is a landy nut, and currently owns 3 in various states of rebuild, plus a baja bug. Some fish, some are on apprenticeships, some work part time..

I've got a lot of time for kids like that..they may be a teaching headache, but they're good kids at heart..very level headed, very responsible out of school, and very pleasant to meet outside.

Just because kids don't engage with the teachers and the "authority" bit, doesn't mean they're bad..

Thank Post
    It's nice to see something positive said sirbendy.

Thank Post
    It's something I sit and explain to our new teachers...they often come in and complain about the kids and their behaviour, and only see the kids in lesson, and eventually it really starts to get them down.

I point out it's NOT personal with our kids..one second they'll give you hell to find the buttons to push, yet 30 seconds later after the lesson finishes, they hold the doors for you, smile, chat about anything, ask questions, and be totally transformed. They DON'T hate you..they're just not used to the discipline.

The other thing teachers lose sight of is that if you give a kid a button to make you go bang, they don't forget it..I get called "Gay", "Weirdo", and I even had one lean over my door and say "I had your mum last night..."..I just smile. I said "Glad she's keeping busy..good lad. ", and he went away utterly confused.

They're wind-up merchants, that's all. I came into suite 1 yesterday, and plastered all over the IWB was "Steve and Carl are GAY!" in red text..I just smiled, and corrected my name to a "K".

They really have a lot to learn about winding me up..

See? Case in point then. Several kids lean over the door and ask the head of IT "Are you playing HALO this weekend Sir? "..."Yep".."Excellent! We'll see you in there."

Ian's quite a n00b at it, so the kids were telling us how they defend him and cover him in game to give him a chance. They also suggested on the last day of term we should turn this LAN into a big multiplayer "Staff Vs Kids" showdown..heh. I think that'd work really well..Maybe not HALO..Worms maybe..

And now the NM has got kids taunting him with printed screenshots of Level 11 of a flash game that he plays where he can't get above 7..I must say, he's taking that well.."arse" is quite restrained..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 29th February 2008 at 02:17 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123