+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, finding out phone provider? in General; I've just got the keys to the new property we're moving to..the gas/leccy is on Smartcard (sorted), the water is ...
    Thank Post

finding out phone provider?

I've just got the keys to the new property we're moving to..the gas/leccy is on Smartcard (sorted), the water is based on RV (sorted), and the phone is..live. As in, I have a dialtone, but if I try to call out, I get "the number you have dialled has not been recognised".

I can 1471, and it sounds like BT to me..the same messages and woman as my BT line here...but BT state the line in the new place was ceased in 2000..

9 years is a long time to leave a ceased line operational, isn't it? So..how do I find out who provides the line? I can't find the number - I can't call my mobile or anyone else..is there any code I can use on the phone to state my number or reach assistance?

Cheers guys and gals...I'm going to go and scrub the silicone off my hands..

Thank Post
    Detective work around the phone point is best. If it's cable you'll see it coming into the house from the road. If it looks like a BT master socket, it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    is there any code I can use on the phone to state my number or reach assistance?
    150 will get you an operator for BT, and I think it's the same for most other providers too.

Thank Post
    Try 17070, what do you get when you dial that?

Thank Post
    I'd give bt a ring if you don't have the name of some cable company on the master socket. They should be able to tell you I would have thought.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    I'd give bt a ring if you don't have the name of some cable company on the master socket. They should be able to tell you I would have thought.
    i can't think of anyone other than BT and Virgin who are actually the providers of the physical telephone line...obviously a lot of companies handle billing of BT lines but they still have to go through BT for activation and reinstallation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    Try 17070, what do you get when you dial that?
    What will happen?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    What will happen?
    It's used for BT line tests. I think it's only meant to be used by engineers though.

Thank Post
    Cheers guys! I'll give those a try. It's definetly a BT NTE5 master socket with the official BT piper logo. I removed the shredded remains of the extension from it...some tenants need shooting, they really do. It was the messiest, most badly executed phone extension I've ever seen..

I have water, power and gas bills..I know there have been at least 3 short term tenants before us, all ladies. The last was a family, who apparently did most of the damage to the house..tearing out walls, removing doors etc. Nowhere do I see a phone bill...

It took me 2 hours yesterday to peice together and resurrect the garage door system - it looks like they were going to convert it to another room, and they had semi-dismantled it. They've also put a stud wall smack in the middle of the garage..that's coming down today. ;-)

I'll tell you the worrying bit though...kids bedrooms, locks on the OUTSIDE. Holes booted in walls. The scariest bit is the under stairs cupboard..lots of kids writing on the walls...stories, times tables, "We Hide Here" etc...this place has a story.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    It seems not..all I got is "line was ceased in 2000..doesn't say who to though, sir..looks like there is no line in there now - the copper will have been reused by now, and it'll need a new line."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    It seems not..all I got is "line was ceased in 2000..doesn't say who to though, sir..looks like there is no line in there now - the copper will have been reused by now, and it'll need a new line."
    the copper gets reused surprising quickly after termination....hence you're lumbered with a 120 quid bill for them running a line back to the exchange if you want to reconnect. Worth it in my case for not having to go with Virgin, but the level of reconnection charge is a bit balls.

it's a charge i'd like to see ofcom do something about for a change.

i am really surprise that you're getting any dialtone whatsoever from a property that was disconnected in 2000.

Thank Post
    I'll tell you the worrying bit though...kids bedrooms, locks on the OUTSIDE. Holes booted in walls. The scariest bit is the under stairs cupboard..lots of kids writing on the walls...stories, times tables, "We Hide Here" etc...this place has a story.
    Wow.

I hope you like DIY. Sounds like you're going to be busy for a while!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Wow.

I hope you like DIY. Sounds like you're going to be busy for a while!
    Have you checked up in the loft? When we moved in here the bu@@ers had stuffed it full of all their rubbish. Took a few solicitors letters to sort it out.

Thank Post
    It's quite clearly not been reused if you are getting a dialtone.

Ring up BT and ask to speak to the Services Team/someone who knows what they're actually talking about.

If they still say it isn't connected then ask them to send out an engineer from Openreach to address the issue. They'll babble on about an Engineers fee if you are wrong, but if you're receiving a dial tone you obviously aren't so it'll be wavered.

The likelihood is that BT disconnected the use of the line but didn't actually have the line disconnected at the exchange - thus the restricted service - but a dial tone is existent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    the copper gets reused surprising quickly after termination....hence you're lumbered with a 120 quid bill for them running a line back to the exchange if you want to reconnect. Worth it in my case for not having to go with Virgin, but the level of reconnection charge is a bit balls.

it's a charge i'd like to see ofcom do something about for a change.

i am really surprise that you're getting any dialtone whatsoever from a property that was disconnected in 2000.
    I moved about 3 months ago and BT were useless. I have never wasted so long on hold in my life. I argued about the fee but they wouldn't budge even thoguh the socket looks brand new. Ended up going to cable, free installation and cheaper line rental.

The most annoying thing was BT rang me 5 times after I cancelled asking me if I was happy about with the installation, as you can imagine on the 5th occasion I was less than impressed.

Thank Post
    When I moved in here I had a dialtone, with the "number not recognised" message no matter what I dialled (even 150!).
    I had to the £125 pay for a BT engineer to come out in the end, and it took a month for one to come out, as the guy didn't show on the first time, so I ended up at the back of the queue again, with another 2 week wait.
    I have no idea what the BT engineer did, as I was in a lecture at the time so the caretaker let him in.

If Virgin Media did here, I would have gone with them, as I only wanted internet, but they do all the roads apart from my one!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast