+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, finding out phone provider? in General; Originally Posted by Simcfc73 I moved about 3 months ago and BT were useless. Me too. BT watned 120 for ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I moved about 3 months ago and BT were useless.
    Me too. BT watned 120 for a reconnect (flick a switch in the exchange). NTL did it free, including digging up the pavement.

From memory *#100# did something, but I'm damned if I can remember what! Or is that your own mobile number... There is definitely a way to get the exchange to ring back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    The fee is set weather they have to run a cable or turn it on remotely which they can do now, so to get best VFM you dont want a line in and want them to do loads of work

Thank Post
    Yeah this was why we didn't get an ADSL line in my house the cost was too much to get a line fitted when we moved in.

Thank Post
    Well, the 17070 gave me the test menu and a number for the line, but the line can't do outgoing or incoming, so it's a definite call to BT tomorrow!

British Gas are in my bad books too..I put my new gascard in the meter, it took a few quid to replenish the emergency, and then a few more to "recover debt". The landlord did say he put a fiver on it..I was amazed it lasted 48 hours..that'd be why. The debt ate it, and the meter had been run down to 82p!

Now, Debt...no, I have none of that.. British gas? Never been with you, ever. Never had gas before, either. Snotty call coming right up. I want my 3 back!

Then my last call of the day will be to the gas engineer who's doing a fire fitment before we move in to say the 2 year old combi boiler is refusing to stay lit and goes into a "3 relight, shutdown, reset, reboot" loop, and the cooker doesn't hiss when you turn a knob, but groans and clicks very alarmingly instead..

To be fair, the landlord is a great guy and said "if the cooker is dead, I'll replace it for you. Call me 24 hours - I'm usually up at 5am.".

As to the DIY..oh yes. I've got a giant tub of polyfilla and the old gascard as a spreader, 4 toolboxes of goodness, a HUGE tub of magnolia, 3 tubes of caulking, 3 of Silicone sealer, 2 lots of paint roller kit, 2 cordless 18v drill/drivers, 3 boxes of tiles, 4 spare floor tiles, and loads of adhesive and grout (left by landlord) and a large tub of axle grease with a big brush to grease up hinges, garage doors and anything else that can't run away.

In one weekend we've filled all holes, fixed the garage, started painting all 3 bedrooms (got to love family), cut the hedges, tidied the garden and got most things ready to move in over the next fortnight. A nice break from the IT world indeed, but god do we hurt now..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Sounds fun.

Back to the phone line.

With the line tests you can do they used to ring you back on the number you were calling on to report the results but now the BT puts it through to the engineers mobile instead to prevent people misusing the numbers.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I've just got the keys to the new property we're moving to..the gas/leccy is on Smartcard (sorted), the water is based on RV (sorted), and the phone is..live. As in, I have a dialtone, but if I try to call out, I get "the number you have dialled has not been recognised".

I can 1471, and it sounds like BT to me..the same messages and woman as my BT line here...but BT state the line in the new place was ceased in 2000..

9 years is a long time to leave a ceased line operational, isn't it? So..how do I find out who provides the line? I can't find the number - I can't call my mobile or anyone else..is there any code I can use on the phone to state my number or reach assistance?

Cheers guys and gals...I'm going to go and scrub the silicone off my hands..
    Thats normal, BT have activated your number and line, but it takes up to 24hours to actually activate, this happened to us when we moved.

Thank Post
    The fight is over... The 17070 trick got me a number for the line, I called BT and told them the number, and it resolved to the address.

Seems the Previous tenant took it away from BT, but closed their account in January..and now with that number, BT have agreed they can move my number to the new place and have it running in 24 hours, at no charge!

So, one less issue hopefully!

Once again, many thanks to all who've assisted - I was dreading sorting that mess out..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12