+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Workflow Definition in General; I have searched the site and found little to point me in the direction of what I want so here ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries

Workflow Definition

I have searched the site and found little to point me in the direction of what I want so here is my question: Has anyone defined a workflow for new staff/students coming into school and a similar one for staff/students leaving school?

I would like to define this for our school because all too frequently individuals new to the school appear at the office door asking why they can’t logon when we have never heard of them. Likewise when it is time for the individual and the school to go their separate ways we do not hear about it. As a result we have stray users on the network [I recall one staff user was being used by students after they had left without our knowledge for some time. I think the password was easily guessed] Stray student users are also annoying as these can be used to ‘get around’ sanctions like Internet bans. Often school property [e.g.: laptops] are not returned until we request it and occasionally not at all! I think a properly defined workflow would address these and other issues.

I have the beginnings of the process but it will take a lot of work to hammer it into proper shape. I would like to see it include all aspects joining the school and not just the network/domain based issues.

So in no particular order [which they should be for a properly defined process] and off the top of my head [in other words far from complete] for a new member of staff we could have:

Query training requirements and prepare inset to mett those requirements
    Assign school based stationery [Diary, Staff handbook...] Each of these would be individual items in the completed workflow definition
    Domain username creation
    Email username creation
    MIS username creation
    Assign pigeon hole
    Assign laptop [if appropriate]
    Assign school breaktime/lunchtime/afterschool duties [if appropriate] Each of these would be individual items in the completed workflow definition
    Assign form group [if appropriate]

I think you will probably get the idea. What we need is something in word processing format [ideally] when one individual has completed their tasks for the new user the document is signed and it then moves on through the organisation on a predefined path until completion. I realise that workflows will be unique to each school, but what I am looking for is something I can get started with for:

Incoming staff
    Incoming students
    Staff leaving
    Students leaving

We are not running Exchange [yet] but if we do I am told that we could create an E-Mail which does just this. Until that day arrives [Until we have Exchange] I would still like this to happen.

I hope this makes sense. If not I apologise: I should not post when I am SO tired.

Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by DaveP; 19th February 2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Correct spelling mistake.

Thank Post
    not really any input other than to say this is a great idea. I guess most of the stuff happens when someones joins the establishment takes place all be it a disjointed way but a sort of leaving form also makes perfect sense will you post the completed article?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraken View Post
    not really any input other than to say this is a great idea. I guess most of the stuff happens when someones joins the establishment takes place all be it a disjointed way but a sort of leaving form also makes perfect sense will you post the completed article?
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I had always planned to post the finished item, I just never said or implied it in the original post. Like i said at the time of posting I was rather tired.

What I will do now is post what I have now. I would not like to influence what others post as replies because the forms don't really encapsulate the idea of 'workflow' which is what I am really looking for. I do have another document that I will post later, but it needs a lot more work first.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveP; 20th February 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Reword reply for greater clarity

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok. Here is that other document I mentioned in my reply above. It is obviously unsuitable for use in schools as it is because I sourced it from an american university website. As I see it the workflow aspect I would be looking for is included on page 2 [of 10].
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Presumably you have databases of staff and students? If this is the case, can you trust them to be up-to-date? If so, then that could be a starting point. For example, every 24 hours, we run a process that checks the staff database and makes sure that accounts exist (this also includes temps - 106 of them at the moment!). We have tried to make sure that no-one gets an account on the system without having a number issued by personnel (they ought not to be working in the college without being officially "known")

At the end of the month, we run a process to check accounts against the database and disable any which are no longer current; a month later we delete those accounts (this copes with personnel accidentally deleting people ...)

We have a similar process for students except we run it every 30 minutes during the day (students can (and do!) enrol on a pretty much continuous basis).

There is a leaving process for staff where the relevant manager has a checklist of what to get back - it doesn't always work :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information