+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I Won the bet :) in General; A while ago, Me and my trusty technician placed a bet... I bet that my 1998 1.7TD Vauxhall astra, was ...
    Thank Post

I Won the bet :)

A while ago,

Me and my trusty technician placed a bet...

I bet that my 1998 1.7TD Vauxhall astra, was infact a better car than his
    1999 2.8V6 E-Class Mercedes Auto Both cars have done ~90K miles. In that, I believed, my car was more reliable.

We agreed that a breakdown consisted of the car being rendered undrivable i.e. immobile, and requiring a tow.

Things like his electronic windows breaking etc were not part of the deal
    but also when my alternator belt went... it was also not part of the deal.

But alas...

I have just received a text: "I'm getting towed home on the back of a truck from my zenos course"

(just thought i should post this for no reason

Im the proud owner of a fully paid for mcdonalds

Thank Post
    Mercedes-Benz lost their way in the mid 90s. Before then a direct nuclear strike was needed to halt an old 230TE or 190E, then they realised that making a car that lasts for 20 years means that no-one bought new ones every 3, so they reduced the quality (hence why the E-class is known to rust)

Thank Post
    Astra-F's rule all others..heh...90k? Baby! My '97 1.6 auto's on 111k now, no major "fail to proceed" problems in my ownership - even the iffy gearbox electronics issue and blown headgasket made no difference to it's willingness to not die at all.

Thank Post
    My Saab 900 (before General Motors took over) was a beast!
    Fast, sleek and 250k miles on the clock

The only problem I had was a snapped bar on the gear box, which the AA fixed in no time.
    The final time I took it for an MOT, the mechanics couldn't belive the car had done so many miles. They couldn't find anything wrong with it at all!

In retrospect though, the air con didn't blow "that" cold, but since all 4 electric windows and sunroof worked, it wasn't too much of a problem!

Thank Post
    Im the proud owner of a fully paid for mcdonalds
    Make it a Subway instead. Much nicer than a McDonalds.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Heh, there's a land rover 90 down our road that's done about four light years. Of course it's used half of Saudi Arabia's oil in the process.

Thank Post
    Recently got a 53 plate Astra (within the last 12 months) so this is good news for me

Lets hope mine gets to 90k and problem free

Thank Post
    But your missing the point, its an Astra! I would go for the Merc that breaks down over a faultless astra any day

Thank Post
    Oi! nothing wrong with an Astra I love mine!

Thank Post
    Psh. I'll go Astra over Merc..heh..servicing and repair costs are nice and low..

All parts are available from most factors (NEVER go to a stealership), and they're just so much less "OMG, I'm going to ding it.."..

Mine has grey plastic bumper - impossible to kill. In a recent spat with a Focus, mine came off with no damage - his lost a fair bit of plastic bumper paint..

I've had Renaults, and never again..too costly, too buggy. I've had Rovers - good, but rusted too fast. The Arsetrap has been almost 4 years of "not thinking about it" motoring, with the only things going wrong being the front dampers (at 98k, cheap, blame Ironbridge roads), Headgasket (100k, my fault), exhaust (90k, £22), and the autobox selector (written a fix guide for that).

I got the disks/drums/pads done when I bought it as they're cheap and it's silly not to..

Not bad for a £1600 11 year old motor. Still get 400+ miles to a tank, it gets a full box/engine service every summer, and it's got NO rust at all..

The TD's are nicely tuneable as well...look on Migweb/VXoN and search for "white ring mod"..

Thank Post
    So what if, like me a car is more than just an A to B thing? Yes I like shiney things, and yes im shallow

Thank Post
    Oh, mine is more than an A to B thing too..it's a project, an amusement, and I like to spend my time diddling with it.. Mine is also shiny..not that I've been able to wash it of late, mind you.

It's where I contrast with my brother..he buys new Hondas, Volvos and VAGs...I buy "knackered old heaps", sort them out and have fun with them until they drop, then while he whinges about depreciation etc, I can just go out with a 2k limit, and take my pick of the "older" machinery.

Mercs have never "hit the spot" for me...I looked at a nice Audi A4, fully loaded in black for £2k when I was looking last...and at 120k on the clocks it would have been a fun motor for a few years, but then I found the Astra with FSH, Ex-Motability etc, bit less money, missus liked the colour (Ceramic Mica Blue Met), large boot, nice and practical.. and went for it instead.

Next, I may go Astra again..either Mk3 or 4, or maybe Corsa C..or I may change again, depending on what's out there. Maybe a Metro/Mini...if there are any autos left out there!

Thank Post
    See I could never see myself in an older car (ok ill admit I probably will have to at some point) but it doesnt appeal to me. Classics etc are fine but well where is the snobbery in it all? Im short and ugly, I have to claw some pride back

Thank Post
    I'm the opposite. I can't see myself in a new car and have bought older machines since passing my test. for the price of a deposit and some monthly payments on a new, boring corsa or fiesta base model (£1800) i'm the proud owner of a 10yr old Alfa Romeo 146 1.8 TS, a car that's much better looking, a fair bit faster and much better value for money

Thank Post
    Well, I'll come out and fight my corner now!

I am the aforementioned technician with the Merc. Turned out to be a problem with the auto box, (hopefully) solved by a gearbox oil and filter change.

I upgraded from a 1ltr Fiesta to this car. I can afford all the payments needed for it for it so I thought "why not" as I'm still young!!! I was looking at getting something like Focus for 6 or 7k but then this car came up at an attractive price with all the history and in good condition. Knowing the seller helped too. I thought it would be cheaper to run that for a few years than all the payments associated with getting a newer car so I went for that.

As for Merc problems, mine is right on the borderline between the reliable years and not as reliable years. Admittedly, it isn't exactly hewn from granite but it's still reliable compared to some later models. I don't mind having the odd problem as I enjoy fixing stuff like that (I remember changing the universal joint on my fiesta, open carburettor in my face reaching down the back of the engine, fun fun!).

As for the rust, my is totally clean and free from it Even the front subframe is in good condition as I found out laid under the thing on Saturday!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information