+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
General Chat Thread, Speedcabling in General; Seems somebody is making a sport out of messy cable installations. Not sure *why* though... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7240939.stm...
  1. #1
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,415
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 261 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    71

    Speedcabling

    Seems somebody is making a sport out of messy cable installations. Not sure *why* though...

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7240939.stm

  2. #2

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,393
    Thank Post
    797
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    427
    We could do with them down at ours, to sort out or cabs.

  3. #3
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    12 ethernet cables some up to 25 feet wrapped into a tangled mess........sounds like my worst nightmare!!!

    i think it's a great idea to have a tourny, wonder what the fastest time was ?

    the worst tangles i have to deal with is the box of AC adapters that i have to detangle from time to time ......it gets so bad that i feel like taking a pair of scissors to the whole lot and i often feel so down that i start to wonder what the point of my existence is.. OK OK i get that feeling several times a day, but nothing beats untangling a bunch of cables in terms of making you feel completely worthless.

  4. #4

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,393
    Thank Post
    797
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    427
    We hang our AC adapters on a rack and bagup network cables individually.


    Z

  5. #5

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,219
    Thank Post
    2,769
    Thanked 935 Times in 875 Posts
    Rep Power
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    12 ethernet cables some up to 25 feet wrapped into a tangled mess........sounds like my worst nightmare!!!

    i think it's a great idea to have a tourny, wonder what the fastest time was ?

    the worst tangles i have to deal with is the box of AC adapters that i have to detangle from time to time ......it gets so bad that i feel like taking a pair of scissors to the whole lot and i often feel so down that i start to wonder what the point of my existence is.. OK OK i get that feeling several times a day, but nothing beats untangling a bunch of cables in terms of making you feel completely worthless.
    not sure if cutting through live wires is such a great idea lol

  6. #6

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,439
    Thank Post
    1,468
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Rep Power
    299
    1000V VDE approved tools and your fine

  7. #7

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,408
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Well, it may be a new sport with ethernet cables, but we were doing it at college many many years ago with variously coloured cables and the like.
    As I recall, lots of beer was involved!

  8. #8

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,875
    Thank Post
    393
    Thanked 581 Times in 532 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    I can't stand tangled wires.

  9. #9
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    not sure if cutting through live wires is such a great idea lol
    they're not live if they're in a box.

    @john - my main tools are all 1000V rated tools....screwdrivers, snips, pliers. That and my fiber glass ladder at work, and people thing i robbed a tradesman ;-)

  10. #10
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    We hang our AC adapters on a rack and bagup network cables individually.


    Z
    oh how posh... do you have Axminster in your server room too?

  11. #11
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    We could do with them down at ours, to sort out or cabs.
    We buy ours pre-tangled anyway - well, that is to say no sooner have we unpacked them, they are in a tangle!

  12. #12
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110

  13. #13
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    it wouldn't be as bad if the cables weren't all the same colour!!!!

    looks like they missed the first rule of cable management - colour code.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •