+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Sound and Lighting Recommendations in General; I've been assigned another job role that involves me working with drama to make use of all the equipment (sound ...

Thank Post

Cool Sound and Lighting Recommendations

I've been assigned another job role that involves me working with drama to make use of all the equipment (sound and lighting). We have loooooads of space and a decent stage.

However, I also get to shop around for new sound and lighting items. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Ideally they need a website, cheap and have a good record with your school.

I've googled a few items I have been told to order, but the cheapest places are eBay. eBay are selling items extreeeeemely cheaply but the quantities we are after would not be ideal doing it via a school account.

Thank you!

Much Appreciated!

Thank Post
    I would have to recommend White Light Ltd and their associated online store LX Store.

We mainly use them for various sundrie items such as gels and lamp spares but have found them to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful in the past.

Thank Post
    DJ kit are good and cheap http://www.djkit.co.uk/
    CPC http://cpc.farnell.com

Ian Mullings
    Devizes School

Thank Post

Thumbs up

I had a new sound system put in at my old school. Got a company called Music Village to do it. Quote came in miles below anyone else and good quality equipment. Good job of installing it as well.
    Don't know much about the lighting I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Have a read over here, the subject comes up a lot. The lighting FaQ and Wiki have sections dealing specifically with your questions. There is even a sub-forum for the "Schools Theatre Support Group" which could be a useful place to sign up.

Without experience, I really would talk to real people rather than buying off a web site.

Usual suspects for suppliers would be:-

AC Lighting
    Stage Electrics
    Northern Light
    10 Out Of 10
    and the above mentioned White Light

Avoid to the point of paranoia, buying fancy moving lights WHATEVER the kids tell you. They are difficult for newbies to use (well) and need skill, time and cash to maintain.

6. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

torledo (12th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Stage electrics would be who I recommend. Used them a number of times for various productions etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    Stage electrics would be who I recommend. Used them a number of times for various productions etc.
    I would second this, there are fairly big in the industry as well. They arn't cheap though.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    I third this, used them for a production recently and WOW! They were a brilliant crew and a pleasure to work with. As for wobbly buckets if they are used correctly they can be brilliant! I love them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As for wobbly buckets if they are used correctly they can be brilliant! I love them
    But VERY few schools will EVER use them well. You might have a kid in year 9, who is really keen and uses them to a reasonable level, but two years later he/she's gone, and no one knows what they are for. At the other forum I mention above, we do this question practically once a week, getting a bit boring now.

Stage are good, but DO get some quotes; they were quite a bit more expensive when I got quotes a year ago to replace our dimmers (like +50%). Went to White Light, and the desk came from AC a year before that.

The OP might want to look at a local outfit if he is going to need on-going support; where abouts are you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    True Andrew, and I have seen your posts and the threads you mention, but if you have a good drama dept they will be able to show the students how to use them, i'm by no way meaning get 10x MAC500s or anything like that, I would think if you have a good budget and a really good dept (ours get all As at A level and near enough all As at GCSE as well) and has done for many years now a pair of 2nd user refurb Mac 250s or 500s would be an asset to them.

Local lighting places are also good if your new to it, I agree with that.

Thank Post
    Thank you guys!

I'm going through them all now. Its great to know other schools have professional setups. We want to go that way!

I'll be back

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread