+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, To Go Or Not To Go - That Is My Dilema in General; Been offered a new job back in the private sector - quite a bit more dosh - [ the important ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

To Go Or Not To Go - That Is My Dilema

Been offered a new job back in the private sector - quite a bit more dosh - [ the important bit ] - I just don't know what to do, leave the education sector or stay as its quite fun sometimes....
    God, I hate this sort of decision.............

Thank Post
    I think only you can decide. What is going to be better for you in the long run? You've worked in both the private sector and the education sector, do you have a preference? Is there something about being in education that you particularly like and vice versa? Weigh up the good points and the bad points.

Thank Post
    Been doing that with the family most of the evening !!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does more dosh = more stress?

I left the finance sector to move into IT and ended up here in IT in the state education sector. I took a massive salary hit when I stopped working in the corporate finance sector but it was worth it not to have to put up with the levels of stress.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Does more dosh = more stress?

I left the finance sector to move into IT and ended up here in IT in the state education sector. I took a massive salary hit when I stopped working in the corporate finance sector but it was worth it not to have to put up with the levels of stress.
    Good point, I too took a huge cut when I left the private sector, ok I still work holidays etc but the difference between private / education is very apparant.
    I currently have two bits of paper I am filling in with pros & cons etc - at the moment the dam thing is level which is not helping !!

Thank Post
    Some questions you may wish to ask yourself:

Where is your job in school going, if anywhere? What are your prospects for career improvement in your school/LA/neighbouring schools/LA?

How will BSF affect you? Will you end up working for the private sector anyway thanks to BSF?

More money often means more stress, but the way ICT support in schools is headed it's anybodys guess what the stresses will be like in the future anyway. If you are going to get stressed you might want to be paid more for the pain!

Personally, if I planned to continue working for more than a few years more before retiring(again) I think I would head back to the private sector as there is so much uncertainty in schools with BSF.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Some questions you may wish to ask yourself:

Where is your job in school going, if anywhere? What are your prospects for career improvement in your school/LA/neighbouring schools/LA?

How will BSF affect you? Will you end up working for the private sector anyway thanks to BSF?

More money often means more stress, but the way ICT support in schools is headed it's anybodys guess what the stresses will be like in the future anyway. If you are going to get stressed you might want to be paid more for the pain!

Personally, if I planned to continue working for more than a few years more before retiring(again) I think I would head back to the private sector as there is so much uncertainty in schools with BSF.

Good luck with your decision.
    Thanks for your posting - all comments are helping me I have to say.
    As for the BSF aspect, I work in a private school so that will not really apply. It certainly will apply in my childrens school though where I am a Gov.
    I wish I could retire !!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Thanks for your posting - all comments are helping me I have to say.
    As for the BSF aspect, I work in a private school so that will not really apply. It certainly will apply in my childrens school though where I am a Gov.
    I wish I could retire !!
    You could always sell your house & move to Poland....

;-)

Thank Post
    I wish I could retire !!
    You have to be 'old' like me, or win this weeks Euro Lottery....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    You could always sell your house & move to Poland....

;-)

Shudder

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You have to be 'old' like me, or win this weeks Euro Lottery....
    Arrr, another old fart then - you will have to join our social group Broc - currently have 10 members you know

Thank Post
    do you know the company you could be working for?

its always a bit of a gamble, best thing to do is go along to an interview, look around, then see what you think, if you have already done this and there waiting for you to say yes, you could always go and stick through it,

if its more cash chances are your not going to be as comfortable as your are in education, if its cash you need, go for it, but if your happy where you are and dont want anything more, stay where you are.

in the same situation myself at the minute, except working for our county

Ash

Thank Post
    Good point, I too took a huge cut when I left the private sector, ok I still work holidays etc but the difference between private / education is very apparant.
    I currently have two bits of paper I am filling in with pros & cons etc - at the moment the dam thing is level which is not helping !!
    i would have thought you're old enough and ugly enough to know what you want without having to write 'pro' and 'con' lists....

ask yourself if you weren't looking to move on then why go to the trouble applying for and making the effort at interview for a job that offers 'considerably more money'. Many of us would give a right arm for that kind of dilemma........... or are you one of those sad old farts who apply for jobs in the hope of getting rejected ? :P

Not saying this is ever an easy decision to make, but i would have thought your families viewpoint and you're own experience and gut feeling would tell you what the right course of action is. You've seen both sides of the coin so you'd have an idea of what to expect from returning to industry.

I thought the advise regarding the future of school IT jobs under BSF was very apt, but as you've said that doesn't really apply to you it's not something you need to factor in if you decide to stick. but it will be an issue if you move to a state school in the next few years.

You're obviously a few years from retiring so you may need to take this job offer in order to extend you're career at a suitable level of pay to meet mortgage payments, school fees etc. If you and you're partner have payed off you're mortgage then this 'dilemma' is complete and utter self-indulgent twaddle......as you'd then be in a position to do whatever you damn well please without needing the advise of complete strangers.

HTH

Thank Post
    ask yourself if you weren't looking to move on then why go to the trouble applying for and making the effort at interview for a job that offers 'considerably more money'.
    Thats on my list. And the money factor comes in rather heavy as it would help a great deal - like paying off my mortgage !! But then you have the flexability of working hours at the school.

.....without needing the advise of complete strangers.
    But I have always apprecaited other people's opinions - I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has experienced working in the private sector, gone into education and then gone back again......

Thank Post
    Thats on my list. And the money factor comes in rather heavy as it would help a great deal - like paying off my mortgage !! But then you have the flexability of working hours at the school.

But I have always apprecaited other people's opinions - I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has experienced working in the private sector, gone into education and then gone back again......
    good points. Jobs within industry do vary quite a lot, but depending on the number of years out of industry you've been the return could be quite a shock to the system because of the way modern helpdesk-centric corporate IT operates, with the compliance hoops depts have to jump through aswell as the endless change management processes and the overall added buearacracy that seems to have infected large IT..... that'd be quite a shock to the system for any of us coming from the rather laid back environments we currently work in.

I'm personally not at that stage where i'm ready to move back into industry, although the money would come in very handy at this point in my life, so i can't help you with my own experiences. But i know there's going to come a point where i've taken my current job as far as i can take it - and in my case there is no upward progression without moving on. sometimes you just hit a ceiling and the chances to move on don't appear that often. Don't forget, even if you were to wait for a senior job in you're LA - perhaps keeping you intouch with the education sector, you're effectively moving into industry. same with IT jobs in universities, you'd be effectively working in a corporate IT environment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information