+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
General Chat Thread, To Go Or Not To Go - That Is My Dilema in General; Originally Posted by mattx Shudder <----- er?...
  1. #16

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,284
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Shudder





    <----- er?

  2. #17
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    <----- er?
    don't give me that....i''ve lived next door to polish people, i've seen polish food (although i'm sure it can't taste half as bad as it looks - the appearance and flavour combinations give me the heebeejeebees) , and tbh i'd be uneasy about moving to a country where listening to duran duran is the height of cool.

  3. #18

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,284
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    don't give me that....i''ve lived next door to polish people, i've seen polish food (although i'm sure it can't taste half as bad as it looks - the appearance and flavour combinations give me the heebeejeebees) , and tbh i'd be uneasy about moving to a country where listening to duran duran is the height of cool.
    Your well argued critique of a nation's cuisine is unanswerable.

  4. #19
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Your well argued critique of a nation's cuisine is unanswerable.
    well, it's not as if polish cuisine has set the world alight. Polish food hasn't been a successul export in the manner of some of the great cuisines from france, italy, india and thailand, which have permeated diverse cultures all over the word. And with good reason.

  5. #20

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,403
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Er..nor has ours, torledo. English food has always been a bit of a joke in world cuisine terms.

    Beside the point anyway - no more xenophobia please

    Mattx - tell yourself you are DEFINITELY NOT going to take the job. Be really convincing.
    Tell your loved ones as well (the adults, anyway).
    now, do you feel relieved, or sorry?

    If you are able to convince yourself, this approach works. Although, speaking as an ex headhunter/computer recruitment consultant I must say that all this angst means that you are leaning towards NOT taking it.
    The money is obviously a big consideration. Cut it out of the equation. Now how do you feel?
    Hope this helps

  6. #21
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by WITCH View Post
    Er..nor has ours, torledo. English food has always been a bit of a joke in world cuisine terms.

    Beside the point anyway - no more xenophobia please

    Mattx - tell yourself you are DEFINITELY NOT going to take the job. Be really convincing.
    Tell your loved ones as well (the adults, anyway).
    now, do you feel relieved, or sorry?

    If you are able to convince yourself, this approach works. Although, speaking as an ex headhunter/computer recruitment consultant I must say that all this angst means that you are leaning towards NOT taking it.
    The money is obviously a big consideration. Cut it out of the equation. Now how do you feel?
    Hope this helps
    agree about english food. Indeed the french take great enjoyment from mocking english cuisine which has taken a bit of a battering over the last few decades. Most of the top restaurants and the top hotel kitchen restaurants in this country are french influenced.

    i object to you interpreting my comments as xenophobic. They were nothing of the sort.

  7. #22

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    Thank Post
    1,056
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Rep Power
    739
    Thanks all for the advice so far - even the cuisine postings are an interesting read...

    I'll let you know what I decide next week. [ Just to bore the pants of you further ]

  8. #23

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,403
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Sorry but Xenophobia is defined as:
    "a fear or contempt of that which is foreign or unknown"

    Were you not expressing contempt of something foreign: i.e. Polish Food??
    And possibly fear as well as you don't seem to have tried it yourself.

  9. #24
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by WITCH View Post
    Sorry but Xenophobia is defined as:
    "a fear or contempt of that which is foreign or unknown"

    Were you not expressing contempt of something foreign: i.e. Polish Food??
    And possibly fear as well as you don't seem to have tried it yourself.
    ok smart ass you got me there

    but i'm sure that wikipedia definition of xenophobia is incomplete.

    A lot of us have contempt for much of what is foreign or alien to us. i admit to disliking tattoos and body piercings even though i have never experienced any, but my contempt is still there. Simiarly a lot of peole have contempt for the german trait of hogging the poolside sunbeds when they go on holiday....Fortunately for the majority our fears don't manifest into a pathological hatred.

  10. Thanks to torledo from:

    tech_guy (10th February 2008)

  11. #25

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,106
    Thank Post
    1,901
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    394
    To get this thread back on topic - sort of - I don't know why but I've got this mental image of mattx singing "should I stay or should I go?" Joe Strummer/Clash style.......

    (For those of you too young to know, Joe Strummer was the lead singer of the punk band The Clash and "Should I stay or should I go?" and "London Calling" are two of their most famous songs.....

    .......info here:

    http://www.theclashonline.com/)

    And yes, I'm showing my age now.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 10th February 2008 at 12:19 AM.

  12. #26
    Joedetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    1,316
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    I was singing that to myself when I first saw this topic

  13. #27

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    Thank Post
    1,056
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Rep Power
    739
    To get this thread back on topic - sort of - I don't know why but I've got this mental image of mattx singing "should I stay or should I go?" Joe Strummer/Clash style.......
    One for the Old Farts social group tech_guy !!

  14. #28

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,403
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    I thought of the same song -but then I am an Old Fart

    But joedetic? Given your avatar I think you may have been born in the wrong decade!!
    So is it 70's prog rock or punk or what with you?

  15. #29
    Joedetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    1,316
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Born in the wrong decade....believe it or not I have actually heard that one before.

    I like all sorts Quite a big fan of prog rock and classic rock but I'll listen to most things.

    What can I say...I have good taste That or I'm an old fart WAY before my time.

  16. #30
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    Born in the wrong decade....believe it or not I have actually heard that one before.

    I like all sorts Quite a big fan of prog rock and classic rock but I'll listen to most things.

    What can I say...I have good taste That or I'm an old fart WAY before my time.
    if you're a fan of prog rock, you've got to be a fan of genesis. Peter Gabriel's genesis that is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •